Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I'd be ready to bet Rantanen will be part of this team a year from now.
He's in a perfect position for success so I don't see him wanting to leave the only NHL team he has played for. It has to be home to him by now, and all his professional successes have come with this group. I'd imagine that would be hard to leave. How much does it matter to a super rich person if they can make 2-3 million dollars more somewhere else, when they make over 10 million a year? Greed isn't actually celebrated or appreciated in his culture either. What does a Finn need that much money for? You can only retire in one lakeside cabin.

Obviously the agent will tell him to hold and raise his value as much as possible before opening negotiations. His job is to get the biggest penny from it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's in a perfect position for success so I don't see him wanting to leave the only NHL team he has played for. It has to be home to him by now, and all his professional successes have come with this group. I'd imagine that would be hard to leave. How much does it matter to a super rich person if they can make 2-3 million dollars more somewhere else, when they make over 10 million a year? Greed isn't actually celebrated or appreciated in his culture either. What does a Finn need that much money for? You can only retire in one lakeside cabin.

Obviously the agent will tell him to hold and raise his value as much as possible before opening negotiations. His job is to get the biggest penny from it.
He pushed his contract as far as he reasonably could the last time, it is reasonable he will do the same here. I think he will sign, but there isn't any real reason he shouldn't push for as much as he can get.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
but there isn't any real reason he shouldn't push for as much as he can get.

The reason why Panthers players sign cheap deals. Easier to have success when a couple of people don't cost half the roster, like Leafs. If winning is the goal then taking a bit less might help in that. If he just wants to maximize money, he'll get that elsewhere.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

Also Rantanen doesn't seem to me to be that kind of greedy. I mean, to the level that "Fine, I'll go elsewhere". And absolutely the agent tried to get as good contract as possible done.

There's very few cases in somewhat recent history where a player of this caliber actually moved. Panarin and Tavares for example. Both moved from a "never won a cup and doesn't look all that great right now either"-team to some kind of a dream destination. I don't think Rantanen has such a destination and no matter how badly you think Avalanche sucks based on last night, they still are one of the "pretty much contenders"-teams of the NHL.

Also, even if the media now says "Rantanen leaving Colorado?!?! :eek3:",I think I can find for every single similar level player that didn't sign an extension instantly a similar story - along with a story that tells how he is now signed and is extremely happy to stay there.

The reason why Panthers players sign cheap deals. Easier to have success when a couple of people don't cost half the roster, like Leafs. If winning is the goal then taking a bit less might help in that. If he just wants to maximize money, he'll get that elsewhere.
While I'm not saying you are wrong, I say that taxes is one reason for that.

I'd also remind of the information that Florida has absolutely dominated East. Has any other state team this decade won Eastern Finals?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He can get it here if he pushes it. The Avs lose more than Rantanen does if he walks. Rants as a UFA pushes $14 AAV and would have 25+ teams offering him. I'm guessing he'll give the Avs some break, but he's not signing for less than 11m... probably not less than 12m. If it was announced $13m x 8 here tomorrow, it wouldn't be all at surprising.

If Rantanen wasn't pushing for MacKish level money, this contract would have been done in July. If it was 11.25m x8... CMac would have agreed before Rants could think twice.

Reactions: Marioesque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad