Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
He's going to sign 8 X 12M for 96M. That's his number, that's slightly below Mack, that's what makes sense.
I have great respect for nearly all of your contributions. This one, though, is not one with which I can agree. Giving Mikko $12M effectively closes the window. That would consume the entirety of the cap increase. That means no money for Drouin and LOC, who are UFA after this season. It means another $3M goalie, and that has not worked all that well. And if, for some reason, both Landy and Nuke are on the roster Wood ( or perhaps even Colton) would have to go.

All that said, if CMac knows that Landy really isn't coming back, that makes some room. I know we all want to get rid of Nuke, but nobody is going to do the Avs any favors and all the scenarios assuming that Nuke's next F-up means he is gone are little but hallucinogenic dreams. Another screw-up merely extends the cap space limbo by another 12 months.

Remember, too, that if Landy goes LTIRetire, that means that the Avs can't accrue cap space for the next 5 trade deadlines. I simply do not see a scenario wherein Mikko makes $12M and the Avs make it out of the 2nd round after this season (and perhaps not even this season.)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He's going to sign 8 X 12M for 96M. That's his number, that's slightly below Mack, that's what makes sense.
I've thought this as well. Would be pretty fair value for him, that's slightly below Pastrnak % wise (12.9% vs 13.47%) if the cap is around 93M 25-26. If the number is around that, we should be happy with it. That is, if you are ok with re-signing him. But that's pretty obviously going to happen, the Avs want Mikko and Mikko wants them.

If the number starts with 11, that's a pretty nice discount. If it's over 13 (or frankly over what MacK makes), that's pretty rich when we should be able to convince him to take a bit less. But we'll see I guess. If the deal isn't done before the season starts, then the Avs should really start looking at other options because at that point it's clear Mikko wants more than MacK. I don't think that's going to fly, it shouldn't.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I have great respect for nearly all of your contributions. This one, though, is not one with which I can agree. Giving Mikko $12M effectively closes the window. That would consume the entirety of the cap increase. That means no money for Drouin and LOC, who are UFA after this season. It means another $3M goalie, and that has not worked all that well. And if, for some reason, both Landy and Nuke are on the roster Wood ( or perhaps even Colton) would have to go.

All that said, if CMac knows that Landy really isn't coming back, that makes some room. I know we all want to get rid of Nuke, but nobody is going to do the Avs any favors and all the scenarios assuming that Nuke's next F-up means he is gone are little but hallucinogenic dreams. Another screw-up merely extends the cap space limbo by another 12 months.

Remember, too, that if Landy goes LTIRetire, that means that the Avs can't accrue cap space for the next 5 trade deadlines. I simply do not see a scenario wherein Mikko makes $12M and the Avs make it out of the 2nd round after this season (and perhaps not even this season.)
Is there any presedent for a 4 time eff up that doesnt get kicked out of the league?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is there any presedent for a 4 time eff up that doesnt get kicked out of the league?
We have no knowledge of any player getting kicked out of the league. We also have no confirmation of any other player reaching that level to be reinstated. Grant Fuhr was reinstated after being suspended for drug use in the early 90s (it was a 5 month ban IIRC)... but that was prior to the PAP.

By the spirit of the program, if he holds to the conditions, it would be hard to not reinstate... at least without a major issue between the NHLPA and NHL.

Correction: Fuhr's ban was for one year without pay and reduced to 5 months... where he had to be reinstated. Again prior to PAP, but some precedent for a return after a long ban.

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We have no knowledge of any player getting kicked out of the league. We also have no confirmation of any other player reaching that level to be reinstated. Grant Fuhr was reinstated after being suspended for drug use in the early 90s (it was a 5 month ban IIRC)... but that was prior to the PAP.

By the spirit of the program, if he holds to the conditions, it would be hard to not reinstate... at least without a major issue between the NHLPA and NHL.

Correction: Fuhr's ban was for one year without pay and reduced to 5 months... where he had to be reinstated. Again prior to PAP, but some precedent for a return after a long ban.

In November, can we trade Nuke for prime Fuhr?

I'm pretty sure @Hasbro would like us to up our truculence.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As far as Nuke is concerned, as a fan, all I care about is this season. The window is all but closed once Mikko's deal kicks in.
True.

I really see this upcoming season as "last shot" for this core.

I think we had it last season and we smoked the Jets like a juggernaut.

Then that russian guy decided "nah, i dont have it again this year", our coaching staff not able to adapt against Dallas and our team out of gas in Game 6 (and yes, that game was hard to watch. We hang in there like Apollo Creed in Vegas against Drago).

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Then that russian guy decided "nah, i dont have it again this year", our coaching staff not able to adapt against Dallas and our team out of gas in Game 6 (and yes, that game was hard to watch. We hang in there like Apollo Creed in Vegas against Drago).
Coaching staff certainly had a role to play, but I think the Avs were also just quite a bit behind Dallas. If Otter doesn't meltdown in game 1, they probably sweep the series... and when we look at all the 2nd, 3rd, and the Finals, it was one the most lopsided series.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As far as Nuke is concerned, as a fan, all I care about is this season. The window is all but closed once Mikko's deal kicks in.

I'm not sure if the window will be closed with Mikko's deal. It's more likely than when that was the narrative pre Cup win, or post MacKinnon raise, but there's ways they could stay competitive.

For instance, I don't think they need all three of Mikko, Gabe, and Val to win a Cup. Those are three borderline elite wingers. If Gabe has to retire, or they shed Val somehow, that $6-7M will help them out a lot.

I've said this for a while, but I don't think Nate and Mikko will age as poorly as some believe either. They're high level athletes that take great care of their body (at least during the season). We've seen other players stay at a high level into their early to mid 30's. Advancements in science, nutrition, and training have allowed for this.

They may have a slight drop off, but then they'd need to find just 1 or 2 impact players in 5 years or so to help them. A guy like Ritchie could turn into one, and they'll have him cheap or cheapish for a while, if they get him on a bridge. Or maybe they make another smart trade or get lucky with the draft.

The window won't be fully closed after Mikko's deal IMO. Everything could come together one year and they could win another Cup. Teams like Edmonton and Toronto will be in much worse shape than the Avs with their contract structure.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Let’s be honest about this.

Our window closed when the Avs resigned Nuke and his life fell apart.

He’s such a great player on the ice that his absence absolutely sinks us. For my money, he is the best Avs player at playing Bednar style hockey and Nuke’s game is tailor made for the playoffs. That he routinely quits the team during the playoffs is the reason our window is shut and locked

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jesse is learning why AJ stopped publicly dropping everything he heard.
Semi-related story:

2019 draft...I was listening to all their podcasts back then and AJ and Rudo hyped the shit out of that draft since we had pick #4 (Sens pick). They spent countless hours talking about ALL the potential Avs pick: Dach, Turcotte, Zegras, Cozens, Knight, Boldy...

Not once they mentioned Byram as a potential Avs pick.

"They aren't taking a defenseman".

On draft day, AJ somehow learned that the Avs were taking Byram before the draft (he didn't tell us that he knew) but he started saying that it's probably going to be Byram. Out of the blue.

I was like you just spent 3 weeks telling us that it was everyone under the sun except Bowen Byram and now an hour before the draft you say it's going to be Byram? No explanation? Then the Avs indeed picked Byram.

To my knowledge he never addressed this.

I'm still mad today. It pissed me off a lot more than it should have.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Semi-related story:

2019 draft...I was listening to all their podcasts back then and AJ and Rudo hyped the shit out of that draft since we had pick #4 (Sens pick). They spent countless hours talking about ALL the potential Avs pick: Dach, Turcotte, Zegras, Cozens, Knight, Boldy...

Not once they mentioned Byram as a potential Avs pick.

"They aren't taking a defenseman".

On draft day, AJ somehow learned that the Avs were taking Byram before the draft (he didn't tell us that he knew) but he started saying that it's probably going to be Byram. Out of the blue.

I was like you just spent 3 weeks telling us that it was everyone under the sun except Bowen Byram and now an hour before the draft you say it's going to be Byram? No explanation? Then the Avs indeed picked Byram.

To my knowledge he never addressed this.

I'm still mad today. It pissed me off a lot more than it should have.

I believe he addressed it in a podcast after the draft. He said his source was convinced the Avs weren't taking a defenseman then the day of the draft came and everything changed. We'll never really know, but that was the last big rumor that bit him in the ass and he clammed up after that.

My own suspicion is Avs were convinced Chicago would take Byram (he was exactly what they needed) but when news dropped on draft day that Chicago wanted Dach, the Avs pivoted.

AJ was also 100% convinced Radulov was coming to the Avs because of Patrick Roy. And he talked about it all the damn time until it didn't happen.

Fans: Tell us everything you know!

Fans two weeks later: You’re a F idiot, you said he’d sign weeks ago! Kill yourself!

Pretty much, and it sucks that people are like that. I personally don't care that only 10% of rumors actually happen, IMO it's just fun to hear what GMs might be talking about.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jesse is learning why AJ stopped publicly dropping everything he heard.

It's how the rumors are presented. Jesse didn't do a terrible job, but he could have couched it a little better.

It's not just him either. These rumors are out there, but sometimes people make them sound more definitive than they are, and add specificity that they didn't hear, because it will make them look better if they become true. Just in general it's a bad habit of people these days to use too may superlatives, and speak definitively on things that aren't definitive at all.

But it loses the impact if you add a bunch of "maybe's" or "might's" and you don't get as much credit for being right, if that's what's important to someone.

This is why Elliotte is the best. He doesn't seem to have a fragile ego so he doesn't care. This allows him to preface everything correctly. Making sure everyone knows when he's speculating, and he words things very differently when he knows something is about to happen, versus a vague rumor, which he almost always makes an effort to warn fans to take with a grain of salt.

I wish more would make the effort he does, because it better informs the public, and that's more important than someone being able to pat themselves on the back, when they get lucky the vague rumor they made sound definitive, ended up playing out exactly how they claimed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad