Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think it's more of a misunderstanding of the word "close" here. Rantanen, his agent and the Avs want to have the deal done. They have a ballpark. Now it's just the matter of ironing out the details. No one is in hurry to do that, people want to enjoy their last few weeks of summer vacation. Jeremy Swayman for an example on the other hand, appears not to be close with the Bruins.

Obviously, a journalist should know that if he uses the word "close" in this context, people are expecting a deal to be made within a week. Because things can move from "not close" to "very close" in a few minutes.

So probably next time, instead of saying "a deal is close", just say that both parties are working towards the deal and there are no real hickups. It's the same thing.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's more of a misunderstanding of the word "close" here. Rantanen, his agent and the Avs want to have the deal done. They have a ballpark. Now it's just the matter of ironing out the details. No one is in hurry to do that, people want to enjoy their last few weeks of summer vacation. Jeremy Swayman for an example on the other hand, appears not to be close with the Bruins.

Obviously, a journalist should know that if he uses the word "close" in this context, people are expecting a deal to be made within a week. Because things can move from "not close" to "very close" in a few minutes.

So probably next time, instead of saying "a deal is close", just say that both parties are working towards the deal and there are no real hickups. It's the same thing.

Yeah I was thinking the same when I first heard this.

They probably heard it was close, as in close in number, because my guess is both sides have always known the ballpark after Nate signed, but that doesn't mean it was close in time.

They've probably been negotiating small details like how to front load the contract, or whether it's a full NMC, or a partial one, or they may even be stuck on whether it's 7 or 8 years. The contract structure itself isn't something the Kroenke's just roll over for in player negotiations.

I also keep wondering if there's a bit of a game of chicken being played between Mikko and Draisaitl's agents, trying to squeeze a little bit extra out of the teams.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We’re getting closer folks

iu

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm not sure this site has enough bandwidth cap left. Might have to release this one and start with an up and coming thread.
That the problem with this site, all people care about are the new threads. Once a thread hits so many pages they’re automatically old and worthless, gotta get that shiny new toy instead. Sometimes older is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad