Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Panarin's percentage applied to next year's cap is a tad over 13.1m. Nylander's percentage applied to 92m is a touch over 12m. To me that's the general range. Possible Mikko wants to reset the wing market which would require near 13.25m. Avs are probably pushing for 12.5m or less. So.. 12-13.25m with the 8th year being the big bargaining chip for the Avs.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
8 x $12.5m AAV with $27m deferred bonuses puts it at $11.5m AAV. Would KSE do that? Would Mikko? That extra $1 mil AAV next year would be worth it, IMO with Drouin, Georgiev, LOC all due for new deals.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rantanan at those numbers wouldn’t be a big discount. Discount? Sure, not even close to the biggest.
When talking about discounts in this context, we need to look at how contracts were perceived at the time of their signing, not what they became after.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
When talking about discounts in this context, we need to look at how contracts were perceived at the time of their signing, not what they became after.
Yup... Kuch's deal at the beginning was pretty rich. Now it is one of the better deals in the league. Passage of time does that with a rising cap.

To me, Rants will want a deal that is slightly above his peers. Nylander is a shade above 12m applying a similar percentage, Pasta about 12.4m, Panarin a little above 13. IMO any discount will be from the Panarin level, which most players don't go beyond .5-1m. An expectation down to low 11s seems like it is setting up for disappointment. As a fan, I'd prefer that lower hit, I just don't find it likely.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That would be a fair deal I would give. But I would love to use the deferred bonus thing to get a discount.
There's a reason that thing has been on the CBA for almost 20 years, and it has been used twice in that time period. It's because the players (and agents) don't like that idea.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There's a reason that thing has been on the CBA for almost 20 years, and it has been used twice in that time period. It's because the players (and agents) don't like that idea.
It is pretty simple. A dollar in 10 years is worth less than a dollar today. Get as much money up front as possible and you get more value out of a contract. There are some situations where there might be some significant tax advantages to defer, but that really the only time it makes financial sense for the players.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

New article about Rantanen, guesses are at least 95mil. (Comparing to Pettersson or Pastrnak)

The new contract is made in "shadows".

Someone with better English can translate or google translate. :D

To be honest, if these guys are the comparable ones. I am happy. Anything over is 12+ is too much I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienblood

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What the Hell does that mean?
The Finnish equivalent of "behind the scenes".

The only thing even remotely interesting about that article (which is mostly just pure speculation by the journalist on his cap number), is the quote from Rantanen:
Of course I would like to stay. I like playing for the team, I enjoy living there. I want to win in the future, that's what I want. Be it there, or somewhere else.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Finnish equivalent of "behind the scenes".

The only thing even remotely interesting about that article (which is mostly just pure speculation by the journalist on his cap number), is the quote from Rantanen:

True, but they have inside scoop on him based on earlier news(interviews with him). I wouldn't take this as nothing. They probably know the numbers but they don't say it directly for the sake of his negotiations.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
True, but they have inside scoop on him based on earlier news(interviews with him). I wouldn't take this as nothing. They probably know the numbers but they don't say it directly for the sake of his negotiations.
I guess, but that's not anything different than what Rantanen said to Turun Sanomat like two weeks ago. "We are negotiating, but we are not in a hurry" etc.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I didn't even realize this: Rantanen and Draisaitl share the same agent. I thought Rantanen was still represented by Mike Liut, but apparently not. So now that Draisaitl is out of the way, the agent (Andy Scott) probably has more time to focus on Rantanen?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Considering that Leon left nothing on the table that's not good at all.
Yes and no. Draisaitl got a fair contract. A fair contract for Rantanen is 12M-12.5M. If he signs that, Avs fans should be happy with it (assuming you want him re-signed).

Expecting star players to take massive discounts in their prime shouldn't be the norm. A lot of disappointed fans that way.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yes and no. Draisaitl got a fair contract. A fair contract for Rantanen is 12M-12.5M. If he signs that, Avs fans should be happy with it (assuming you want him re-signed).

Expecting star players to take massive discounts in their prime shouldn't be the norm. A lot of disappointed fans that way.
Leon took max AAV, max term, max bonus, max NMC. He left nothing on the table, there's no way around that.

On the market a team would have to offer 7 X 16M to match the dollar amount on top of all the other goodies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Leon took max AAV, max term, max bonus, max NMC. He left nothing on the table, there's no way around that.

On the market a team would have to offer 7 X 16M to match the dollar amount on top of all the other goodies.
You can't fully discount the final year. Leon may not get $14m for it... but $7 isn't unlikely.

Of note here. Leon's percentage of a ~92.5m cap is 15.13%. The first year of MacK's deal 15.09%. Matthews was 15.05%. Just a tad over the previous elite, but not McDavid centers. Panarin's percentage was 14.37%, Pasta's 13.47%, Nylander 13.07%. 13% is 12m, 13.5% is 12.5m, 14% is 12.95m 14.5% is 13.4m.

Does Rants want that title above Panarin or is Pasta more of the goal? That's the real difference between a near mirroring of MacK's deal and crossing $13m.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad