Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No He is NOT
Mikko has proved that he could be the man without Mack and has a Cup Ring also
Pasta has put up more goals and points in the last 2 seasons playing with less talent. Mikko has been better in the playoffs yes, but how much of that has to do with playing with monster playoff performers like Makar and MacKinnon? Put Pasta on the Avs, he’d do the same or maybe better

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
two of the absolute best offensive wingers in hockey they'll be paid accordingly.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No He is NOT
Mikko has proved that he could be the man without Mack and has a Cup Ring also
I honestly believe Pasta is the vastly suprior player for two reasons:
1. He can actually impact the game outside of slap-shot from the right circle. This is Mikko's biggest weakness. He can't do shit but one-time a puck, but he's basically a god-level cheat code at doing that, but his pay for being a one-trick poney is entirely too damn high. He is nowhere near good enough to earn Nate money.
2. As for being a stud who can run his on line... Why didn't he? We have basically gone through years with a legitimate 2C. He filled in at 2C for a season we literally had no other option and was fantastic, but the moment we could get a shitty center we put Mikko right back on Nates wing. But last season with all the shit going on with RyJo and everything, Bednar either COULD not or WOULD not take him off of Nates wing for some reason. I honestly think Rants needs a top two center to get away with being able to add absolutely no value outside of a one-timer. When he played center he did. Earlier in his career his play away from the puck was severaly lacking, last season, it actively did damage to the team. Points were still there but that line got absolulte nothing from Mikko but a one-timer. There was no forechecking, and when he back-checked his smoking habit is very, very apparent. He looks like he gives absolute no shits. As much as I'd love to keep him, if he isn't firmly attached to a line other than Nates, I actively do not want him back. If they would committ to him playing on the second line, I have no problems signing him for 10M per, but to play with Nate, you do not get Nate's money. Unimaginable to me, but I am resigned to the fact that the Avs will do that and close their window purposely.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Now if pasta had rants size, that could be a lethal combo.
And if Rants actually used his size and speed for the forecheck or the backcheck, I'd say he was vastly supriorer to Pasta. Mikko is an elite level one-time from the right circle cheat code. But he has increasingly be either unwilling or unable to carry his own line and I think smoking may be contributing to this. After two games last season it was apparent that RyJo was not the answer and until we traded for Drouin, Bednar decided to roll with RyJo and then just elevated his third line to the 2nd, then reconsituted the 3rd out of the remains of the 2nd and elevating 4th liners.

Rants simply doesn't do enough and requires way too many concessions regarding his effort and true capabilities to drive a line. I'll repeat, this is a guy who smokes regulary during the regular season in 2024 with all we know about heath. It doesn't cost us playoffs issues due to be suspended, but we've already witnessed the first season of decline and that isn't really normal for such a high level player.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I honestly believe Pasta is the vastly suprior player for two reasons:
1. He can actually impact the game outside of slap-shot from the right circle. This is Mikko's biggest weakness. He can't do shit but one-time a puck, but he's basically a god-level cheat code at doing that, but his pay for being a one-trick poney is entirely too damn high. He is nowhere near good enough to earn Nate money.
2. As for being a stud who can run his on line... Why didn't he? We have basically gone through years with a legitimate 2C. He filled in at 2C for a season we literally had no other option and was fantastic, but the moment we could get a shitty center we put Mikko right back on Nates wing. But last season with all the shit going on with RyJo and everything, Bednar either COULD not or WOULD not take him off of Nates wing for some reason. I honestly think Rants needs a top two center to get away with being able to add absolutely no value outside of a one-timer. When he played center he did. Earlier in his career his play away from the puck was severaly lacking, last season, it actively did damage to the team. Points were still there but that line got absolulte nothing from Mikko but a one-timer. There was no forechecking, and when he back-checked his smoking habit is very, very apparent. He looks like he gives absolute no shits. As much as I'd love to keep him, if he isn't firmly attached to a line other than Nates, I actively do not want him back. If they would committ to him playing on the second line, I have no problems signing him for 10M per, but to play with Nate, you do not get Nate's money. Unimaginable to me, but I am resigned to the fact that the Avs will do that and close their window purposely.

All's eye no zat Mikko should get a mill more than William Nylander.

It goes FAST when Makar, MacK and Mikko start to wind it up in offensive zone. Maybe in the playoffs there should be an alternative where you can separate the top players.

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
And if Rants actually used his size and speed for the forecheck or the backcheck, I'd say he was vastly supriorer to Pasta. Mikko is an elite level one-time from the right circle cheat code. But he has increasingly be either unwilling or unable to carry his own line and I think smoking may be contributing to this. After two games last season it was apparent that RyJo was not the answer and until we traded for Drouin, Bednar decided to roll with RyJo and then just elevated his third line to the 2nd, then reconsituted the 3rd out of the remains of the 2nd and elevating 4th liners.

Rants simply doesn't do enough and requires way too many concessions regarding his effort and true capabilities to drive a line. I'll repeat, this is a guy who smokes regulary during the regular season in 2024 with all we know about heath. It doesn't cost us playoffs issues due to be suspended, but we've already witnessed the first season of decline and that isn't really normal for such a high level player.
What health issues? All I've seen is praise for his fitness from coaches etc.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
OIP.oBkY9HjxV803rvQ5iXlZAwHaHa

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I smoked my entire Army career, put up a 70 minute 10 mile time, grabbed a Gatorade and lit one up right after.

His excuses are between his ears, but they often are. 🤣

Count me among the group that wants nothing to do with Mikko's next contract if he can't run his own line. I also think they're going to let him go for nothing next off-season if they can't get him at a number that makes sense in whatever structure the GM sees going forward. They'll play chicken with him, and they may lose that one.

No team he is going to sign with has the money for him right now, and most of those teams don't have anything of significant value that they will part with for a player a year from UFA.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Based on what lol
If you asking if I've witnessed it, the answer is no. But this has been definitely been discussed quite a bit around this board and apparently it has quite a bit of legs to it.

Me saying this is similar to how I've been talking with regards to Val. Nobody from the team or the player has mentioned cocaine, but I am not willing to believe this is a sleep-disorder brought on by the birth of his daughter like he claimed. I mean blaming your problems on your newborn daughter is pretty much an all-time low dad move, but here we are.

Umm...have you talked to Lehky's dad? Or read his comments? Or seen the way Mikko responded to it, with one game of stellar play followed by a little shit-talk about a team-mates dat to the media and then right back to his lack-luster effort.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Oh I'm sorry, I seem to have stumbled on a Newhook thread.
So true. The extension is so close that we need to circle back to Newhook on the way to get there. Once we've moved on to Kerfoot that's the real sign that it's about to get done

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If you asking if I've witnessed it, the answer is no. But this has been definitely been discussed quite a bit around this board and apparently it has quite a bit of legs to it.
Yeah, sure. There was a photo of Mikko smoking while partying during one offseason, and someone drew the conclusion that there is no such thing as "party smoker. It's a pack a day or nothing."

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, sure. There was a photo of Mikko smoking while partying during one offseason, and someone drew the conclusion that there is no such thing as "party smoker. It's a pack a day or nothing."
I smoked for a little over two decades. I'll be honest, I only came across a very, very few people that occasionally smoked cigarettes. I went from never tying one to a pack a day in the Navy, mostly because you could actually take a break occasionally to smoke a cigarette but if you didn't smoke there was no reason to take a break in the eyes of the command...so everyone was a pack a day, and that eventually led to 2 packs a day for me and quite a few others.

Cigars on the other hand has always been different. I only know a few that smoke them often but tons of folks who never smoked cigarettes that enjoy an occasional well-crafted stick.

I'm sorry that I'm connecting dots. People talking frequently about Mikko smoking, Ismo's comments on Rants summer, and his over-reaction to the media and then immediate return to worrisome play after one really solid game. The incident with Georgiev. We all see different things, and if you didn't see a difference in his play last season to all the ones before...this will probably be a topic we'll hopefully just agree to disagree on and move along as friends.

I just think that while he was still putting up points galore, he was lacking from previous years in other areas and all I've been able to come up with is that he didn't have a good summer, people say he's been smoking, and his play appeared to be taking a step back apart from his strait killer, cheat-code of a one-timer.

Please don't take my concern for his re-signing as a personal attack on him. I've always loved the Moose but Nate can get by with a lesser RW. If Rants would actually play the second line, I'd probably have no issues with the 11.5-13M deals people are bandying about. I just can't stomach that nearly 50% of our cap will be spent on one unit of 5. There's definitely a reason Bednar has to play those guys the minutes he does.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I smoked for a little over two decades. I'll be honest, I only came across a very, very few people that occasionally smoked cigarettes. I went from never tying one to a pack a day in the Navy, mostly because you could actually take a break occasionally to smoke a cigarette but if you didn't smoke there was no reason to take a break in the eyes of the command...so everyone was a pack a day, and that eventually led to 2 packs a day for me and quite a few others.

Cigars on the other hand has always been different. I only know a few that smoke them often but tons of folks who never smoked cigarettes that enjoy an occasional well-crafted stick.

I'm sorry that I'm connecting dots. People talking frequently about Mikko smoking, Ismo's comments on Rants summer, and his over-reaction to the media and then immediate return to worrisome play after one really solid game. The incident with Georgiev. We all see different things, and if you didn't see a difference in his play last season to all the ones before...this will probably be a topic we'll hopefully just agree to disagree on and move along as friends.

I just think that while he was still putting up points galore, he was lacking from previous years in other areas and all I've been able to come up with is that he didn't have a good summer, people say he's been smoking, and his play appeared to be taking a step back apart from his strait killer, cheat-code of a one-timer.

Please don't take my concern for his re-signing as a personal attack on him. I've always loved the Moose but Nate can get by with a lesser RW. If Rants would actually play the second line, I'd probably have no issues with the 11.5-13M deals people are bandying about. I just can't stomach that nearly 50% of our cap will be spent on one unit of 5. There's definitely a reason Bednar has to play those guys the minutes he does.
I get it, but are we better off with LOC or Colton playing 1st line RW? If not, then we need to acquire a player and he needs to be cost effective, which likely means losing another good player in the trade. Rantanen deal has its risks, but it's by far the best option available.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I get it, but are we better off with LOC or Colton playing 1st line RW? If not, then we need to acquire a player and he needs to be cost effective, which likely means losing another good player in the trade. Rantanen deal has its risks, but it's by far the best option available.
In no way am I implying we replace him with LOC or Colton. I might not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I'm not that bad am I?

The thing is I think we could be better off with replacing him wtih a 6-8M winger, if we could also use that little bit of savings off his current cap, plus the additonal savings that his raise would bring and actually get a permanent winger to fill out the second line. We just can't afford to continue with the uncertaininty of Gabe and Nuke, something has to give. I honestly though that should have been Toews, but then everyone was also saying he was getting 10M, which is completely different than his actual deal.

I just don't see a sustainable path keeping the band together. I'll be cool with it, but I'd really need to readjust my expectations to a more enjoyable cast but their performance will quickly be matching those of the later 2000s until what 2020 or would you say 2019? If you've got a better picture to paint, man I want to hear it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There will be no Rantanen trade, stop it with that nonsense. If they really wanted to trade the guy the time to do it was around the draft before free agency. Now teams are capped out and the options much more limted.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Tell his agent without Capfriendly we can't properly plan this out. Then offer enough to not insult him but not enough to get the deal done yet. Frankly I think even 11 AAV is pushing it, he got above market when he signed so the whole idea that he needs a nice raise on that is going to improperly frame things. Nate and Cale deserve 13+, Moose does not even with an increasing Cap IMO.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
There will be no Rantanen trade, stop it with that nonsense. If they really wanted to trade the guy the time to do it was around the draft before free agency. Now teams are capped out and the options much more limted.
Lol, it's not like teams are trading their top wingers each season but us as the fans just want to stir up some drama.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Pasta is either very overrated, or Mikko is very underrated from what I’m seeing in this conversation.

“Much better” than Rants my ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: badi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad