Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
The guy is 6 th in scoring the last 3 years but yeah let’s get rid of him because he costs too much…… what are the Avs going to get for him to make them better? They have to get rid of dead weight Nichuskin and Landeskog, the best ability is availablity and right now these guys aren’t doing the Avs any favours.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sometimes you gotta operate a lil' like Vegas and ditch the bad before the bad arrives.

Unfortunately I think the Avs are content becoming the new Pittsburgh Penguins and hoping they can pull a rabbit out they ass ala Penguins 16/17 Cup wins
Avs will be more than OK to become old and bad until the end of Mack's contract then start a 7-8 year rebuild from there, with Makar as the captain (like old Foote).

Next contending window will be in 15+ years.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Sometimes you gotta operate a lil' like Vegas and ditch the bad before the bad arrives.

Unfortunately I think the Avs are content becoming the new Pittsburgh Penguins and hoping they can pull a rabbit out they ass ala Penguins 16/17 Cup wins
That only works for a few teams that are prime destinations for players. Like Vegas and New York.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That only works for a few teams that are prime destinations for players. Like Vegas and New York.
It doesn't work because GM's don't want to build a team for the next guy and owners just want to make the playoffs.

It the Avs were willing to trade Rants, Toews, Girard, Lehky and Manson to start a fast rebuild I guarantee that it could work.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Avs will be more than OK to become old and bad until the end of Mack's contract then start a 7-8 year rebuild from there, with Makar as the captain (like old Foote).

Next contending window will be in 15+ years.
Too slow. MacK contract ends after 30/31. He'll be 36 years old. I think by the time his and other long contracts come off the book we gotta be ready to compete. Of course it does depend on whether we are still going strong by then, if we somehow are then rebuild will also be later. But assuming the worst (or rather the normal), let's say we have 4 more years to go for it (24-25, 25-26, 26-27, 27-28), then 3 years to rebuild (28-29, 29-30, 30-31). So much is up in the air so we can't really tell if the next core will be in place or not, but it really shouldn't take 11+ years of rebuild to get back to the top.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
It doesn't work because GM's don't want to build a team for the next guy and owners just want to make the playoffs.

It the Avs were willing to trade Rants, Toews, Girard, Lehky and Manson to start a fast rebuild I guarantee that it could work.
They'd rather win the cup than be in perennial rebuild. Sure you can start a rebuild while being a contender, but the whole point of rebuilding is to become a contender. It would be counter-productive to blow it up when you are in the state you want to be in.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They'd rather win the cup than be in perennial rebuild. Sure you can start a rebuild while being a contender, but the whole point of rebuilding is to become a contender. It would be counter-productive to blow it up when you are in the state you want to be in.
They have one more shot with this core then it's over. If they keep Rantanen they are doomed and are entering the 15 year hiatus. If they let Rantanen walk next summer they are also pretty much doomed (or at the very least made a re-tool a LOT harder).

They need to trade Rants this summer.

Plenty of good younger players are available. Zegras, Necas, Askarov...Buffalo just traded Savoie for peanuts. Ritchie is up and coming and already in the system. It's easy to re-tool if they want to.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Avs fans get frustrated by Mikko, I can't imagine how they'd handle Zegras or Necas.

You'd think they'd have plenty of practice, what with Tanguay and Burakovsky and what not.

And I find it kinda nutty that there were sooooooooooooooooo many people bitching to high heaven about Rantanen, when they had to put up with Johansen all the way up to the deadline. That dude made Wojtek Wolski look like Mike Keane.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He's going to be so lazy that he won't leave his position after the faceoff, but will still somehow put up 100+ points.
He might not even leave Chipotle to go to the rink on a game day because he’s so lazy.

But will somehow still get 2 or 3 points in a game he didn’t even play

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Hopefully 8 years to drive down the AAV a little bit.

I’m guessing he’ll come in a little below MacK.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They have one more shot with this core then it's over. If they keep Rantanen they are doomed and are entering the 15 year hiatus. If they let Rantanen walk next summer they are also pretty much doomed (or at the very least made a re-tool a LOT harder).

They need to trade Rants this summer.

Plenty of good younger players are available. Zegras, Necas, Askarov...Buffalo just traded Savoie for peanuts. Ritchie is up and coming and already in the system. It's easy to re-tool if they want to.
Better be some big additions to Necas and Zehras. That’s a massive drop off in talent while not adding much consistency either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad