Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Surely Avs can’t afford to lose Mikko for nothing by letting him walk as a UFA. I’m sure they’ll work out a contact extension or will have to trade him this season no?
Even if they knew 100% that he was leaving, they would probably keep him for the playoffs.

Reactions: the_fan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There is about a zero percent chance Mikko is traded. He either signs or he walks, and odds are he will sign.
I actually think there is a good chance his deal will come out "ok" in the end, if the Avs have been so hardline on not going near MacK deal so far. For me, the odds are bigger that Mikko flinches and not the Avs, IF he wants to get the deal done during this season. Obviously if he just listens to his agent then this will drag all the way out to FA. I think last time it was Mikko who called his agent to take whatever was offered, while it did drag on until training camp had started.

Even if they knew 100% that he was leaving, they would probably keep him for the playoffs.
Absolutely, it would just be a last dance type of thing. If you wanted to get value out of Mikko you would have to trade him before the deadline to a team that he is willing to re-sign him (and Mikko willing to re-sign with that team). Good luck finding one without retention.

A trade is not going to happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I actually think there is a good chance his deal will come out "ok" in the end, if the Avs have been so hardline on not going near MacK deal so far. For me, the odds are bigger that Mikko flinches and not the Avs, IF he wants to get the deal done during this season. Obviously if he just listens to his agent then this will drag all the way out to FA. I think last time it was Mikko who called his agent to take whatever was offered, while it did drag on until training camp had started.
We'll see in the end, we know the general range. The longer it goes on, the more likely we see the upper side of it.

In the end, the difference between 13-12m matters far less for the Avs than Wood's overpayment. They gotta stop paying the lower guys over market and start getting ELCs integrated.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We'll see in the end, we know the general range. The longer it goes on, the more likely we see the upper side of it.

In the end, the difference between 13-12m matters far less for the Avs than Wood's overpayment. They gotta stop paying the lower guys over market and start getting ELCs integrated.
Yeah. In the end, does it really matter if a top guy is "overpaid" by 500k or even 1.5M? It matters f*** all if he pulls his weight, which Rantanen has done so far during his career. Even if he takes a sweetheart deal, all that is neglected if a 3-4M dollar 3rd line winger is playing like a 13th forward. Which is actually very much more likely to happen.

Or a 3M dollar goalie playing like an ECHL goalie...

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah. In the end, does it really matter if a top guy is "overpaid" by 500k or even 1.5M? It matters f*** all if he pulls his weight, which Rantanen has done so far during his career. Even if he takes a sweetheart deal, all that is neglected if a 3-4M dollar 3rd line winger is playing like a 13th forward. Which is actually very much more likely to happen.

Or a 3M dollar goalie playing like an ECHL goalie...
Yup... now I do think the contract probably won't age all that well. By year 5 or 6 it is probably bad, but that's just the nature of these UFA deals. But I'm also in the camp that 2029 shouldn't matter on building the team today. This is a team that needs to win now above all else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad