Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
OK. This is just to move the dialogue along. But a serious question. I'd like to hear people's opinion.

Would the Avs be better off with Shesterkin at $11M or Mikko at $13M?

I understand this is never going to happen as the Rangers just gave Panarin a boatload and are not going to give Mikko more. I'm just wondering what people think about a purely hypothetical situation. Would this specific Avs team ( including Landy and Nuke) be better off with an elite goalie, expecially considering that the Avs would essenitally be a 3 line / 2 pair team plus a bunch of plugs, regardless of which player was signed. But that team would have ( at least arguably) the leaguewide best 1C, 1D, and 1G.

Personally, I still believe the best move would have been to 'offer sheet' Swayman at $9M, at the same time moving Mikko for pieces to pay the RFA fee and find an average wing or the next Lehky.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
OK. This is just to move the dialogue along. But a serious question. I'd like to hear people's opinion.

I understand this is never going to happen as the Rangers just gave Panarin a boatload and are not going to give Mikko more. I'm just wondering what people think about a purely hypothetical situation. Would this specific Avs team ( including Landy and Nuke) be better off with an elite goalie, expecially considering that the Avs would essenitally be a 3 line / 2 pair team plus a bunch of plugs, regardless of which player was signed. But that team would have ( at least arguably) the leaguewide best 1C, 1D, and 1G.

Personally, I still believe the best move would have been to 'offer sheet' Swayman at $9M, at the same time moving Mikko for pieces to pay the RFA fee and find an average wing or the next Lehky.
I said Shesterkin for Rantanen in the trade thread after the first game and I wasn't entirely kidding. Panarin has one year left after this so they probably can't fit Rantanen cap-wise, but they absolutely could use him.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

I like the idea of bringing in something fresh. The conversation has been stale for quite some time and we are probably not going to get any news (and I mean news, not speculation articles) any time soon.

I think neither Rangers or Avalanche would like that trade using a comment "That's our franchise cornerstone we are not going to move him, end of discussion".

I think Shesterkin would be better at that kind of value-for-price. But that requires those top wingers to return, some "I guess Nichushkin could maybe possibly come back" and "There is a chance Landeskog returns some day and might be what he used to be" isn't enough.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad