Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
OK. This is just to move the dialogue along. But a serious question. I'd like to hear people's opinion.

Would the Avs be better off with Shesterkin at $11M or Mikko at $13M?

I understand this is never going to happen as the Rangers just gave Panarin a boatload and are not going to give Mikko more. I'm just wondering what people think about a purely hypothetical situation. Would this specific Avs team ( including Landy and Nuke) be better off with an elite goalie, expecially considering that the Avs would essenitally be a 3 line / 2 pair team plus a bunch of plugs, regardless of which player was signed. But that team would have ( at least arguably) the leaguewide best 1C, 1D, and 1G.

Personally, I still believe the best move would have been to 'offer sheet' Swayman at $9M, at the same time moving Mikko for pieces to pay the RFA fee and find an average wing or the next Lehky.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
OK. This is just to move the dialogue along. But a serious question. I'd like to hear people's opinion.

I understand this is never going to happen as the Rangers just gave Panarin a boatload and are not going to give Mikko more. I'm just wondering what people think about a purely hypothetical situation. Would this specific Avs team ( including Landy and Nuke) be better off with an elite goalie, expecially considering that the Avs would essenitally be a 3 line / 2 pair team plus a bunch of plugs, regardless of which player was signed. But that team would have ( at least arguably) the leaguewide best 1C, 1D, and 1G.

Personally, I still believe the best move would have been to 'offer sheet' Swayman at $9M, at the same time moving Mikko for pieces to pay the RFA fee and find an average wing or the next Lehky.
I said Shesterkin for Rantanen in the trade thread after the first game and I wasn't entirely kidding. Panarin has one year left after this so they probably can't fit Rantanen cap-wise, but they absolutely could use him.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

I like the idea of bringing in something fresh. The conversation has been stale for quite some time and we are probably not going to get any news (and I mean news, not speculation articles) any time soon.

I think neither Rangers or Avalanche would like that trade using a comment "That's our franchise cornerstone we are not going to move him, end of discussion".

I think Shesterkin would be better at that kind of value-for-price. But that requires those top wingers to return, some "I guess Nichushkin could maybe possibly come back" and "There is a chance Landeskog returns some day and might be what he used to be" isn't enough.

Reactions: cinchronicity

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity. If CMac actually did try to move Rants. Say he just sent a GM memo suggesting it...what do y'all think realistically would be the expected return. I understand the team trading the higher talent is the team that is often deemed and literally are the losers of the deal. But I also understand that to continue to properly grow, you must prune the bush at some point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Out of curiosity. If CMac actually did try to move Rants. Say he just sent a GM memo suggesting it...what do y'all think realistically would be the expected return. I understand the team trading the higher talent is the team that is often deemed and literally are the losers of the deal. But I also understand that to continue to properly grow, you must prune the bush at some point.
An upgraded version of the Meier trade to NJ would be what we get.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
3rd/4th round pick + cap dump.
We're Doomed.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The bolded part should give a bit of relief to folks here. I think they will eventually get there, but if Kypreos has legit info then it's good news that we are not at the point where the team has already offered him something close to MacK and Rantanen has said no to that.
Star winger Mikko Rantanen and the Avalanche don’t appear to be close to an extension. The feeling out there is the Avs are reluctant to get his average salary anywhere near Nathan MacKinnon’s $12.6 million (U.S.) at this point in time. They are also hoping to have a clearer picture on captain Gabriel Landeskog’s health and future before deciding how high they need to go to retain Rantanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad