Speculation: Rangers Training Camp/Preseason 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sp why sign him before he comes to play in North America? I guess his contract slide for this season.

The NHL-IIHF transfer states that players under the age of 22 (drafted in 2021 or prior) or 24 cannot play in the AHL in the first year of their ELC if they were drafted outside the first round.

Not signing him now, would just delay the "issue".

Adam Sýkora wasn't AHL eligible either his first ELC year. Same with Karl Henriksson and Adam Edström.

And no, Väisänen's ELC is not slide eligible because he is older than 20.

1726659681891.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Almost all drafted players have a time limit they need to be signed by or the drafting team loses rights to the player. Sometimes the player is not as ready as the team wants him to be or even as much the player himself wants to be.

There's no real issue with Vaisanen playing in Finland this year. If Rempe and Brodzinski turn out to be our 12th and 13th forwards---Hartford's forward group would be Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Sykora, Groulx, Belzile, Chmelar, McConnell-Barker, Korczak, Roobroeck, Blidh, Nash and Korczak with AHL signees Sucese, Jenkins, Dufort, Barbashev and McLaughlin. Counting the AHL guys that's 18 forwards and the Pack are likely going to carry 13/14. It's more than enough. Sucese has played over 220 AHL games and scored 44 goals and 81 points and Jenkins 102 games. It looks to be a pretty good mix.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Almost all drafted players have a time limit they need to be signed by or the drafting team loses rights to the player. Sometimes the player is not as ready as the team wants him to be or even as much the player himself wants to be.

There's no real issue with Vaisanen playing in Finland this year. If Rempe and Brodzinski turn out to be our 12th and 13th forwards---Hartford's forward group would be Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Sykora, Groulx, Belzile, Chmelar, McConnell-Barker, Korczak, Roobroeck, Blidh, Nash and Korczak with AHL signees Sucese, Jenkins, Dufort, Barbashev and McLaughlin. Counting the AHL guys that's 18 forwards and the Pack are likely going to carry 13/14. It's more than enough. Sucese has played over 220 AHL games and scored 44 goals and 81 points and Jenkins 102 games. It looks to be a pretty good mix.

Yes, that's the other point here. Väisänen's rights would have expired next year.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So why sign him before he comes to play in North America
if 'we' still had access to CapFriendly,
it could easier to detail how common it is that
young Euro players on NHL ELCs are loaned/assigned back to Europe
probably something like 12-25 last season ...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The roster is the same as last season, outside of the Reilly Smith add. I don't see how this team gets better/goes further in the playoffs. Maybe Kakko has a breakout like Lafreniere (in terms of impact, not necessarily point total) did last year. Trouba/Lindgren bounce back (unlikely). Hopefully, Chytil stays healthy. Basically, this team only gets better through internal improvement.

They were first overall and close last year

They clearly are good enough but sure adding will help

Say bye to next years 1st rounder it’s inevitable

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If what Drury said about KK is accurate then I'm encouraged.
If KK finds a way to break out this year it’d be so big for this team. Unfortunately we’ve been saying that for the past 3-4 years. I’ve lost almost all hope for him to be any more than a 20/20 guy but the flashes are still there

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If KK finds a way to break out this year it’d be so big for this team. Unfortunately we’ve been saying that for the past 3-4 years. I’ve lost almost all hope for him to be any more than a 20/20 guy but the flashes are still there
I totally understand, For me hope is free, I was disappointed by KK last season but I give him a clean slate and hope for the best this season. With that said, this may be a do it or move on season for KK as a NYR.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He’s only done that once in his career, so it’s certainly not something we should be counting on whatsoever. Plus if he’s going to play 3rd line minutes all season he likely would have a tough time reaching those numbers.
He hit those numbers on a 3rd line…

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It wasn't “huge” margins. Othmann actually score an extra point than him in 4 less games. If you want to say he had a better season, fine, but in no way it was “huge margins”. And what were their respective ES point totals? The AHL doesn't provide that information unless you go through each game individually and add them up.

Those two both will play a lot in the preseason, we’ll see who looks better vs NHL competition. Berard still has the whole size issue that he has to overcome at the NHL (Which wasn't an issue in the AHL so that is good). And Othmann still needs to show he can keep up at the NHL speed.
Some players are better NHLers than AHLers. That’s how I see Othmann. His shot is legit. NHL caliber players setting him up is going to be a huge plus. And his physicality will translate, he’s not undersized. Probably a second liner in a year or two. We always say we need a bit more nastiness in the top 6. Can be a PP2 guy until Pan is gone after next year, he’ll be 23 then.
Berard to me will be prob end up a third liner, but you never know.

Reactions: leetch99

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He hit those numbers on a 3rd line…
He played around 35% of his total ice time on a line with Zibanejad that season. I think that he’s not very likely to do that again considering they traded for someone to fill that role already. It would be more difficult than you think. If he improves to the point that he forces his way onto the top line then this discussion is pointless but I don’t have much hope he will do so.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Some players are better NHLers than AHLers. That’s how I see Othmann. His shot is legit. NHL caliber players setting him up is going to be a huge plus. And his physicality will translate, he’s not undersized. Probably a second liner in a year or two. We always say we need a bit more nastiness in the top 6. Can be a PP2 guy until Pan is gone after next year, he’ll be 23 then.
Berard to me will be prob end up a third liner, but you never know.
Pp1 has a waiting list.

Othmann is like 4th on it.
He has a good shot, and could be a great fit on pp2, if we stop building pp2 like a line that just needs to not “give up goals”

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
At this point I rather trade Kakko now than keep waiting and hoping while his trade value gets worse. I’d trade him before preseason ends, if the rookies impress like Berard, Othmann, even a guy like Sykora. Kakko needs a change. Overpaid for what he does.
About 40 EV points as a 22 year old mostly on the 3rd line before a bad, injury stunted season last year. Excellent defensively. Makes 2.4mil… unless you are getting something that materially helps the team this year, AND going forward, there is NO point in trading him. Aside from frustration that he won’t live up to 2OA.
It would be just plain dumb to trade him just for the sake of it or because people are disappointed. Selling low is ALWAYS dumb.

That statement is insane.
Overpaid?
He’s making 2.3 million.
He’s a plus defensive player who essentially puts up .5 ppg at even strength.

He’s not making 8 million, he’s making 2.3
Exactly.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Pp1 has a waiting list.

He has a good shot, and could be a great fit on pp2, if we stop building pp2 like a line that just needs to not “give up goals”
Number 1 issue with PP2 is Trouba or Miller manning the point. Trouba all gas no brake with shooting and mediocre passing ability, Miller not smooth or quick with his decision making.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Pp1 has a waiting list.

I’m not disagreeing, but who knows what that waiting list looks like in two years? Pan gone, who knows what Zibs level will be if he keeps declining? Will Troch still be on it? If Othman’s shot translates to the NHL as I think it will…. Think Laf, Kreids, Fox, Perrault and Othman are all in the mix.
And yes PP2 is what I was suggesting till Pan was gone.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He played around 35% of his total ice time on a line with Zibanejad that season. I think that he’s not very likely to do that again considering they traded for someone to fill that role already. It would be more difficult than you think. If he improves to the point that he forces his way onto the top line then this discussion is pointless but I don’t have much hope he will do so.
That means he played 65% on the third line, and 35% of the time with two guys who mesh with no one for years now and score at EV at a rate not much better than 3rd line… and it’s pretty rare for a big forward to have topped out at his 21/22 year old season. Conventional logic says he will probably top the 40 point season if he stays healthy this year.

Reactions: pld459666

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
if 'we' still had access to CapFriendly,
it could easier to detail how common it is that
young Euro players on NHL ELCs are loaned/assigned back to Europe
probably something like 12-25 last season ...

Among others:

Simon Robertsson (STL)
Carl Lindbom (VGK)
Felix Unger Sörum (CAR)
Filip Bystedt (SJS)
Fabian Wagner (WPG)
Anton Wahlberg (BUF)
Adam Engström (MTL)
Oskar Pettersson (OTT)
Elias Salomonsson (WPG)
Elias Pettersson (VAN)
Otto Stenberg (STL)
Calle Odelius (NYI)
Alexander Suzdalev (WSH)
Jani Nyman (SEA)
Nikko Kokko (SEA)
Emil Pieniniemi (PIT)
Jakub Dvořák (LAK)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’m not disagreeing, but who knows what that waiting list looks like in two years? Pan gone, who knows what Zibs level will be if he keeps declining? Will Troch still be on it? If Othman’s shot translates to the NHL as I think it will…. Think Laf, Kreids, Fox, Perrault and Othman are all in the mix.
And yes PP2 is what I was suggesting till Pan was gone.
I said 4th.

Laf/chytil are both immediate options for pp1.
Gabe probably already is on that list, and then othmann.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If by this you mean he’s going to be with the Rangers - I agree. From this perspective he’s more likely to remain in NY than other forwards who are his competition and who spent most of last season in Hartford. But I think he’s then likely to miss games as part of a rotation in this 12/13 spots rather than being an everyday player.

Reactions: Vitto79 and AirGut

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I said 4th.

Laf/chytil are both immediate options for pp1.
Gabe probably already is on that list, and then othmann.
I read what you wrote. I gave an alternative. And half the people on this board are predicting Chytil won’t make it through the season… As I’m obviously guessing about what happens two years down the road at best, I’m not going to battle you on it. Hahahaha. *I* see him as a PP option in a couple few seasons. If you don’t that’s fine!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad