Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
This is also a rather tenuous position for Drury to be in currently. Let’s go through a scenario…

- Trouba doesn’t waive before Monday, Monday comes, and the Rangers put him on waivers. At this point, they need to wait a full 24 hours before they can really jump into the free agency mix because they’ll have no idea how much open space they’ll have. If he goes unclaimed, other teams will have leverage on retainment in a trade. And a buyout only gives you a fraction of the cap space.

This is a weird game of chicken that I’m sure Drury wants done immediately.

Reactions: gump116

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The list was submitted to Drury prior to the rumors becoming public
So, Detroit is on the list? Otherwise there's no problem. And if Detroit is on the list, why is Drury negotiating with them and not with the other teams not on the list. None of this makes sense.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t like retaining money for 2 years…
There are teams that will take the whole hit knowing the real $$ figure is lower…..
I’m pretty sure Drury is doing Trouba a solid for being a good soldier and sending him close to where he grew up.

If Det is stuck on us retaining 30%, we better at least be getting draft picks back
Don’t care if it’s 3rd/4 or 5th rounders but retaining has to cost them something.
Trouba has to understand there are worse places he can land to a team that at least should be fighting for a final playoff spot.
With the way Schneider performed when Trouba was injured and the rest of season+ playoffs, it was pretty obvious it’s curtains for Trouba here in NY….
Even if they kept him on for 1 more season, he’s on borrowed time here

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
FB_IMG_1719712083624.jpg

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
hard not to think as a rangers fan that this gets scuttled and we have to watch him suck for us for 2 more years

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Perhaps Trouba submitted his "unofficial list" to the NYR - before it is really due on 7/1. And thus, perhaps he is allowed to change it between now and 7/1.

Drury goes out and makes a deal based on that unofficial list. Trouba says wait wait wait, I'll add Detroit to the list if you're saying you'll trade me there.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Perhaps Trouba submitted his "unofficial list" to the NYR - before it is really due on 7/1. And thus, perhaps he is allowed to change it between now and 7/1.

Drury goes out and makes a deal based on that unofficial list. Trouba says wait wait wait, I'll add Detroit to the list if you're saying you'll trade me there.
If Drury is dumb enough to conduct his business that way he deserves whatever he has coming.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If Drury is dumb enough to conduct his business that way he deserves whatever he has coming.
Purely speculating, but to me obvious it seems like Drury is working on a deal with Detroit, would imagine with some notion that Detroit is a destination acceptable as per Trouba's NTC. Not sure how else it could come about in the way it has. It getting to the media before finalization and before Monday was a bad sign.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
They gave a 5 mil player 8 mil a year, the captaincy and a modified ntc, they more than held up their end of the bargain.
Something to consider:

Trouba basically orchestrated his way to NY. He did so in part because of his wife's career. I think he and his family would likely prefer to stay put and enjoy their life in NY. Can he go to Detroit, sure? Will he? Maybe. But it's not a small thing for him and his family to move. And going from being the captain of a team that got to the ECF to suddenly having to go to Detroit and have your wife and kids potentially stay back in NY for lord knows how long is just a lot to process. For all we know, his wife is demanding that he manipulate the situation so they can stay in NY for her career. Considering they already did that once to get to NY. Who knows. But from a human perspective I totally get that this isn't easy. It is the reality of professional sports. Drury wasn't the GM that traded for and signed him to begin with. But it's a lot. Consider that the condensed time period between the end of the season and the draft/FA period may also be playing into the situation happening so quickly.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If it falls apart, then a buyout is still a potential option, right? I don't think Trouba needs to be waived at this point because of the NMC. We'd have until 5 p.m. tomorrow?

I only ask because Drury doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would allow the player to dictate what's going to happen. If Drury recognizes he can't trade him, maybe he goes another route.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trouba probably is shocked. Can't blame the guy. He got the "C" two years ago.

That being said, it's the right move for the Rangers. The guy hasn't been good since, shit, season 2 of him being here? If they can move him and retain 2M+, or whatever, they have to do it.

They can't pay 3.6M for a 4th liner and 8M for a 5/6 D and expect to win anything. I'm not even sure he's a 5/6 after that last series. He was burnt toast.
No wonder no one wants to wear the C Here. It starts the ticking clock til you’re traded……
In all seriousness, if Trouba is upset/blindsided, it wouldn’t surprise me if the org leaked the deal to Larry to make it public, just to get it out there in the either.
It kind of puts pressure on Trouba to not wind up like Goodrow, on a team he wanted no business going back to.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If it falls apart, then a buyout is still a potential option, right? I don't think Trouba needs to be waived at this point because of the NMC. We'd have until 5 p.m. tomorrow?

I only ask because Drury doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would allow the player to dictate what's going to happen. If Drury recognizes he can't trade him, maybe he goes another route.
Such a worse outcome for the Rangers than a simple retention. Buyout will have $4m hit for 2 years and $2m hit for 2 years after that. 4 years on the books, and no return at all. Yikes.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
No wonder no one wants to wear the C Here. It starts the ticking clock til you’re traded……
In all seriousness, if Trouba is upset/blindsided, it wouldn’t surprise me if the org leaked the deal to Larry to make it public, just to get it out there in the either.
It kind of puts pressure on Trouba to not wind up like Goodrow, on a team he wanted no business going back to.
Yes. It is really important to note that usually when Drury is making moves or signing players, we don't necessarily hear about it and we usually don't get that much detail before it happens. So, it's very notable that there's been so much publicly reported on this and yet there's no deal.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
At what point can we actually waive him? Noon Monday, correct?

Any day but if he’s on tomorrow’s then he clears Monday at noon or is picked up

I’m sure Drury knows the list already

If Detroit wants him and he wants to go vs 15 other teams he’s a fool to risk going somewhere less desirable to him

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Yes, somewhere he screwed up. If Drury asks for a list early and Detroit is on it, he can't be stupid enough to say " I know Detroit is on the list, but...."
If he has no list until July 1st, why let Trouba know there's something to the Detroit rumors, thereby allowing Trouba to put Detroit on his list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad