Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Free agency starts Monday. If Trouba isn't traded today or tomorrow then he's not getting traded. All the top free agents will be gone Monday. Drury needs the cap space to sign any of them.
What? Lol he has a NMC until Monday. Maybe Drury hasnt asked him to waive it yet or maybe Trouba is bitter so he says no to waiving it early.

Literally nothing has indicated the trade isnt going to happen.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I mean no one knows for sure. May be the trade is dead. May be Yzerman is asking for more retention. May be the Rangers got another offer and is mulling that. May be the Rangers don't want the optics of having to ask him to wave his NMC so they want to wait until Monday.

Cant NHL teams be 10 % over the cap in the summer?

The Rangers have plenty of space as is if the know they are going to trade Trouba. They are sitting at $13M cap space and yes they can go 10% over.

tabness

be a p̴l̴a̴y̴a̴ gm 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Wings fan here, I only really watched the Rangers in the playoffs (I always seem to jump on the Rags bandwagon the past few years). How much of Trouba sucking was the injury and how much was him actually sucking now? Seems from the main boards most Rangers fans don't like him the past few years and it's the latter.

Honestly, I'd kinda be happy enough just to get a washed up Trouba just for some more elbows against mofos lol, it sucks so bad when your team both sucks and is soft as hell like the Wings recently

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Wings fan here, I only really watched the Rangers in the playoffs (I always seem to jump on the Rags bandwagon the past few years). How much of Trouba sucking was the injury and how much was him actually sucking now? Seems from the main boards most Rangers fans don't like him the past few years and it's the latter.

Honestly, I'd kinda be happy enough just to get a washed up Trouba just for some more elbows against mofos lol, it sucks so bad when your team both sucks and is soft as hell like the Wings recently
If fully healthy, I view him as a bottom pairing D. When injured, he's like a #8-9

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Him and Miller were solid the first two months of the season, the wheels started to fall off around Christmas time, and then the injury later in the year didn't help.

The playoffs were a disaster as you know. You don't want him on your PP, he can still PK, but you should want him on your third pair if possible.

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012

He`s not washed up, but not performing anything near his 8 mill cap-hit. He`s still a more than decent #5-6 (imo).

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If trouba is going to leave Detroit off his list then there is no reason this HAS to wait for Monday.

If trouba doesn't want to leave NYR then all he and his agent need to do it's build out his nt list to tie Drury. It's not that hard to id 16 teams throughout the league that probably wouldn't trade for him anyways. So all he needs to do is add the 15 other teams to his list that might trade for him and then Drury is locked.

If trouba doesn't want to be traded he just submits a list like this
Ntc Anaheim
Boston
Ntc Buffalo
Ntc Calgary
Carolina
Ntc Chicago
Colorado
Ntc Columbus
Dallas
Ntc Detroit
Edmonton
Florida
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Ntc Montreal
Ntc Nashville
New Jersey
NYI
Ntc Ottawa
Ntc Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Ntc St. Louis
Ntc San Jose
Seattle
Tampa
Ntc Toronto
Ntc Utah
Ntc Washington
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Vegas

I've virtually landlocked him into staying in NYR by accounting for teams available cap space for his contract, team need for the position, team focus on analytics, and just using a brain about who would/wouldn't actually add him (like Winnipeg isn't trading for him).

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

He was serviceable as a 3rd pairing Dman playing less than 20 minutes a game before the injury and is a pretty good penalty killer. IMO the injury was a big reason he was terrible in the playoffs. He looked like he had trouble skating at times. The biggest problem with Trouba is the 8 million dollar contract. If it was more like 5 million there would be a lot less complaining. He can lay a big hit and is a tough guy but giving him top 4 minutes is a risky proposition.

Reactions: bhamill

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
His NMC becomes a NTC at 1200pm ET.
Wouldn't that happen at 12:00AM? Technically it is 7/1 and teams also lose the ability to go 8 years cause the player is technically a free agent and no longer a re-sign?

Feel like it's all semantics, but could help if the deal goes down before the market opens.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Is he really going the Kane route again after finally opening space?

I mean really?
They can't. They really can't. Drury should be fired on the spot.
Any chance Kakko gets involved in this trade to maybe have the Rangers retain less and or get a little value back in a trade
No, for the 15th time. Kakko has value. Not as much as he did, but some.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Any chance Kakko gets involved in this trade to maybe have the Rangers retain less and or get a little value back in a trade
No idea. From what EF said, it doesn't sound like they've worked out all the particulars yet. There's probably a lot of back and forth in terms of how much we are retaining and what we are getting back in return. It's possible that the deal could expand into something larger.

I'd rather not trade Kakko. I still believe in him. But if we do, we better be getting something good back in return.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
1719697867108.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

He had a bad stretch. He will bounce back. Plus Miller sucks and Trouba has been dragging him around for years. The guy is worn out.

• Haha
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Despite some momentum building around a Trouba trade on Saturday, nothing materialized, and the Rangers, seemingly eager to move Trouba and all or part of his $8 million cap the next two seasons, may find that this will be a difficult transaction to complete in the window the team needs to free up cap space to make a splash on Monday, when free agency begins.

A league source indicated that Trouba, who still has a no-movement clause until noon on Monday, may not be inclined to help speed this deal along, even if Rangers GM Chris Drury finds a trade fit with the Detroit Red Wings, Trouba’s hometown team.

The Rangers requested Trouba’s 15-team no-trade list earlier this week to try to expedite a deal. Trouba’s no-movement clause becomes a 15-team no-trade clause on Monday, but there are ways that Trouba’s camp, led by agent Kurt Overhardt, can throw a wrench in the Rangers’ plans.

If Trouba waits until Monday to submit his list and word is out that Drury is trying to complete a deal with, say, the Red Wings, Trouba could put Detroit on his no-trade list and veto the move. That could open him up to a destination he might not want or the possibility that Drury could place Trouba on waivers, as he did with Barclay Goodrow last week to get around Goodrow’s veto of a trade to the Sharks. San Jose claimed Goodrow on waivers.

Should the Rangers fail to move Trouba, there may have to be some smoothing over of hurt feelings before next season begins.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I can’t imagine that Drury started shopping Trouba with out knowing whether or not he would accept a trade to Detroit or another destination.

If he did decline, would that cause them to pivot and trade Lindgren instead? If that’s the case, be a dick Jacob!

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad