Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Getting a 3rd for Kakko doesn't help the team enough for me.

Just not worth it, better off hoping he can actually do something this year.

I don't care what he wants, he'll have a chance elsewhere one day if it doesn't work here
Yeah, while I don't mind basically giving away Trouba (or even paying to do so), Kakko still brings legitimate value and there's a non-zero chance he breaks out. A third wouldn't do it for me, either.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Getting a 3rd for Kakko doesn't help the team enough for me.

Just not worth it, better off hoping he can actually do something this year.

I don't care what he wants, he'll have a chance elsewhere one day if it doesn't work here
Kakko has already shown he can be a top notch defensive presence while scoring 40 points. And he’s just 23. Still thinking he can be a 60 point guy within a couple of years isn’t crazy at all. People (not you obviously) thinking a 3rd is a reasonable return is a head scratcher. If we can get a 23 year old 40 point defensive winger (at a 2.4mil cap hit) for a 3rd I’d say go for it immediately. Hahaha. Crazy. Drury is not doing that. It’ll be MORE than a second in value for sure if he goes.

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
1719675703980.jpeg

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Trouba follows the footsteps of Rangers Captains unceremoniously dumped because of contract disputes or performance relative to salary. I'd almost call it the curse of the captain.

Since Messier left in 98 because of contract dispute.

Leetch - couldn't bear the burden and heavily affected his play. Team construction started to bring in the corpses of yesteryear.

Messier take 2. - past his prime and the epitome of the Mercenary Rangers of the dark ages. Played well past his prime but we ignored the sins for what he gave us in 94.

Jagr - awesome before the C. Pretty good with the C but then bolted to KHL because of $$$

Drury - overpaid and underdelivered. Shown the door early because of injuries.

Callahan - the most heart and soul captain traded because of contract dispute

McD - best all around dmen since Leetch. Jettisoned in one of the worst trades in franchise history for a half assed rebuild

Trouba - because the real leaders of this team for 3 years refused to step up and wear the C instead of the A because of "feelings" as soon as he put the C on his performance has cratered outside of delivering CTE to a dozen of players in the playoffs

Honorable mention: Hank and the shitshow 3 goalie rotation before buyout and his health issues stopped his vengeance tour in DC.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba follows the footsteps of Rangers Captains unceremoniously dumped because of contract disputes or performance relative to salary. I'd almost call it the curse of the captain.

Since Messier left in 98 because of contract dispute.

Leetch - couldn't bear the burden and heavily affected his play. Team construction started to bring in the corpses of yesteryear.

Messier take 2. - past his prime and the epitome of the Mercenary Rangers of the dark ages. Played well past his prime but we ignored the sins for what he gave us in 94.

Jagr - awesome before the C. Pretty good with the C but then bolted to KHL because of $$$

Drury - overpaid and underdelivered. Shown the door early because of injuries.

Callahan - the most heart and soul captain traded because of contract dispute

McD - best all around dmen since Leetch. Jettisoned in one of the worst trades in franchise history for a half assed rebuild

Trouba - because the real leaders of this team for 3 years refused to step up and wear the C instead of the A because of "feelings" as soon as he put the C on his performance has cratered outside of delivering CTE to a dozen of players in the playoffs

Honorable mention: Hank and the shitshow 3 goalie rotation before buyout and his health issues stopped his vengeance tour in DC.

Well said. Who is next? Kreider picking up the crown from the gutter is a little too romantic I think lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Insanity. Clearing up all that cap and eating only 2.5, I’ll drive the guy to the airport myself. I don’t need any other return for moving him, I’ll take a bag of pucks.
I think it is good that Drury has friends and former teammates around the league. :)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I have a funny feeling this trade is not going to be a good one for the Rangers. I dont see anything great on the wings roster that I would target that they would trade and trouba despite all the hate here is not bad for 5.5 million. Copp or Holl plus the retention is jump dumb.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
We might be dealing with a stronger position than you think though.

15 team no trade means that there are 16 teams he can go to. It's more than possible that there are 1 or 2 other teams on his yes list that have interest.

Theres no doubt that this has been in the works for a while and Detroit is definitely his preferred destination, but they may already have something in place after they've deliberated with other teams for the last week and are just waiting for July 1 to get things moving.
Yeah but the cap hit is big enough to scare off a bunch of those 16. Even if they were interested, the cap hit cut it off. Retention has always been the key to making anything possible in this situation. It's possible Drury had tire kickers and retention was a prerequisite.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I have a funny feeling this trade is not going to be a good one for the Rangers. I dont see anything great on the wings roster that I would target that they would trade and trouba despite all the hate here is not bad for 5.5 million. Copp or Holl plus the retention is jump dumb.

I'm not worried about the trade, I'm worried about using the cap space to lock us into a worse deal long term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay