Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Man, this is exciting. It’s going to happen.

Now we brace ourselves for the return. If we are retaining I want something of value back. Not Holl. Maybe Copp.
Copp + 2.5 mil retained on Trouba = 8.125 mil. That's more than Trouba is making. And Copp has 3 years left to Trouba's 2. It's a non-starter.

If we're taking back either Copp or Holl (I'd prefer the latter), there should be nothing retained. If we're retaining, we should get something of actual value back (neither Copp nor Holl).

Reactions: bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wouldn't mind if we retained $2.5M and got nothing back. I think he has some value for sure, but the contract hurts and we're hamstrung by the fact we can't send him certain places.

Sometimes it's just best to make a clean break, and if it costs $2.5M to do so, I wouldn't be bothered by it.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
What about Michael Rasmussen (RFA)?

If we are retaining, we should be getting value back, someone that can play now.

Good longer-term Chytil injury insurance policy.

Reactions: McRanger92

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I wouldn't mind if we retained $2.5M and got nothing back. I think he has some value for sure, but the contract hurts and we're hamstrung by the fact we can't send him certain places.

Sometimes it's just best to make a clean break, and if it costs $2.5M to do so, I wouldn't be bothered by it.
Reality is, we can replace trouba with a league min guy like ruhwedel on 3rd pair until TDL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Man, this is exciting. It’s going to happen.

Now we brace ourselves for the return. If we are retaining I want something of value back. Not Holl. Maybe Copp.
If we are retaining salary Copp makes no sense. That’d be basically paying him 8.1 million.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Let’s fast forward to next years 2025-2026 deadline. Jacob Trouba is available as a rental to a contending team. What does he return?

I’d argue he returns a 1st rounder, especially at $5.5m cap hit.

Detroit is going to pay something here. I’m open to a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. I always thought the value of Trouba was going to be 2 2nds and a 3rd with a contract the other team wanted to offload coming back. If they’re retaining than just the picks.

I could also see a 2nd and a young center. Veleno?

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reality is, we can replace trouba with a league min guy like ruhwedel on 3rd pair until TDL.
Right. I've always defended Jake but he was bad last year. Like, really bad. I understand he had injury issues but still. I think Drury understands that this team needs to make a couple big pivots to get over the jump and that Trouba probably isn't part. It would be wonderful to find a way to get rid of him while adding value, but the reality is it may not be in the cards. And if it's not, and you have to pay someone to take him, so be it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I'm of the same mind. The lineup flexibility that comes from ridding the player itself is a plus. The whole point is freeing up lineup space to have new jobs for people in addition to cap savings. Open up that cap to do something positive like getting a PMD rather than take one of Detroit's throwaway. Trouba I don't doubt is a great person and great for the league in terms of social responsibility and marketing but on the ice he was a liability.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My best guess is Trouba for a 2025 second and prospect Elmer Soderblom. A big center who has shown he can play in the NHL but was injured with concussions and never really got going when he was sent back to Grand Rapids.

Change of scenery and someone who can add size to the bottom six if he works out, but who may remain a solid AHL lifer.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
1000013704.jpg

1000013705.jpg

Look how considerate Drury is to Trouba.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Detroit extended Rasmussen in February (4 years $3.2M AAV). I honestly haven't seen him play much. Is he worth that?
I wasn't aware of that, so that's a no then. I don't know, I just looked over the roster and looked at his EV numbers and faceoff numbers. He looks like a good 3rd line center on paper. Don't know anything else.

I guess the return really would be future considerations because it doesn't look like any other player works for us if the idea is to clear cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: UAGoalieGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad