Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Well alright then. Hank got one million more per year than I would've gone, but it's ok. Now it's up to Sather to acquire the pieces needed to contend under this new system.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I called this here in August
Both term and $$
Exactly
Met with a guy that is inside Hanks inner circle here in Sweden
He said this is the numbers that they wanted
He got it

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I called this here in August
Both term and $$
Exactly
Met with a guy that is Hanks inner circle
He said this is what they wanted
He got it

I spoke to Hank once in Swedish at a Q&A. Dunno how it's relevant. That's cool though. I mean, it's a lot of money but glad he's here.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm happy to have Hank stay a Ranger. He's been nothing short of spectacular so far in his career. He's not playing his best right now, but he'll be back up to speed soon.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
This is a different conversation entirely. I am not a big fan of Glen Sather by any means, and he has made a TON of mistakes. But this thread is about Henrik's contract, and you're trying to argue that his current contract cripples the entire team, and it absolutely does not.

You're right. It doesn't. Today. See me again when Henrik is 35-36. Things may be different then, or they may be the same.

Couple things bother me about this.

I love Lundqvist as much as any of you.

The thing is this. He has gone pretty much injury free for his whole career. Who does that? Exactly my point, nobody. So he could get injured. What is the plan if that happens? Say he blows a knee and he's no longer as quick as he was. You're paying an awful lot on past performance.
Not a reason to not resign a guy, but this contract basically makes him unmoveable. Which would be bad enough, but then we gave him a NMC. So if things unfold five years from now, and we want to go in another direction, we can't.

I would have been much happier with a shorter deal. And FFS, stop with the NMC's. They never work.

RangersHank*

Well of course but the idea seems to be "lol we have Lundqvist we don't need a team. He'll just get hot in the playoffs"

He's been hot in the playoffs. It's still not working.

What has the team done in the playoffs?

Puckface NYR*

You're right. It doesn't. Today. See me again when Henrik is 35-36. Things may be different then, or they may be the same.

The thing is this. He has gone pretty much injury free for his whole career. Who does that? Exactly my point, nobody. So he could get injured. What is the plan if that happens? Say he blows a knee and he's no longer as quick as he was. You're paying an awful lot on past performance.
Not a reason to not resign a guy, but this contract basically makes him unmoveable. Which would be bad enough, but then we gave him a NMC. So if things unfold five years from now, and we want to go in another direction, we can't.

I would have been much happier with a shorter deal. And FFS, stop with the NMC's. They never work.

NMC's are standard in every single elite players contract. They're essentially non-negotiable. As we've seen, they really don't hold that much weight, specifically in NY.

And are you really advocating that this is a bad contract because he MIGHT get injured. As you said, he's never really had any serious injury in his career. If you're giving someone a long term deal, may as well be a guy who's shown he can stay healthy.

This is not ryan clowe.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Well of course but the idea seems to be "lol we have Lundqvist we don't need a team. He'll just get hot in the playoffs"

He's been hot in the playoffs. It's still not working.

It sucks, but this is something I agree with. It's not a problem of Henrik per se, it's the problem of Glen's perception of him.

Many times he can mask our goal scoring deficiencies by playing absolutely lights out, and have us win 2-1 or 3-2 games.

But, instead of addressing those scoring issues to help the man out, Sather assumes he can just keep this up through a playoff run. He lets himself believe, constantly, that Henrik makes this team a contender by himself.

Combine that with his massive overvaluing of his own roster, and you have mediocrity chiseled in stone.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
You guys can say all you want how it would be better to have players like Toews or Kane or Crosby.

Where do you expect to get these guys from?

Its not like we can take the cap space this offseason and bring in a generational forward...

Just to play devil's advocate:

1) Just because you can't name a player right now, doesn't mean they won't be available. Players become available that people might not expect, and they don't necessarily have to be generational players. Bobby Ryan got traded before this season. Nash in the season before.

2) Why does a player have to be locked up this coming summer. The cap implications of the Lundqvist deal will last 7 years, not just this offseason. In the last 10 years the rangers added Jagr, gaborik and Nash so it's not like All Star players are impossible to come by.

Puckface NYR*

Just to play devil's advocate:

1) Just because you can't name a player right now, doesn't mean they won't be available. Players become available that people might not expect, and they don't necessarily have to be generational players. Bobby Ryan got traded before this season. Nash in the season before.

2) Why does a player have to be locked up this coming summer. The cap implications of the Lundqvist deal will last 7 years, not just this offseason. In the last 10 years the rangers added Jagr, gaborik and Nash so it's not like All Star players are impossible to come by.

They also added all those guys (sans jags since situation was different) with albatross' of contracts on the books. Hank is an elite player in his prime.

This isn't Redden who is on the decline. This is an elite player. Arguably a top 10 player in the NHL. We have him on our team. You should all be extremely happy that he will be here for life. yet it feels more like a funeral in this thread.

The difference between hank this year and hank next year is taylor ****ing pyatt. Let that sink in.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Not sure why some of you are down on us signing our franchise player he is the best thing to happen to this team since Messier. When the Rangers didn't cave in and Mess bolted fans weren't happy, I think the reaction would be worse if Hank was to leave and sign somewhere else.

The people who are trying to poo poo this signing should think about how they would feel if Hank wasn't resigned and got this deal with the flyers or ducks.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Nice. So a complete cave by Sather.

Precisely
But I believe he (Sather) recently got indications of quite large salary cap increases the next years. he thought it will work and that salaries will go up quite the lot. That was the feeling over here in some circles.

If he makes 6,8 now and the cap increases by over 5% per year then in 7 years Lundqvist should be makin XX, forget it btw really tired, the math is telling though

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Classic Sather to be cheap in this situation. A mere 250k would have put Hank above Cindy and co. What a joke. This is NY, you can't avoid that. They should have made Hank the best paid player. Slats drops another one.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Classic Sather to be cheap in this situation. A mere 250k would have put Hank above Cindy and co. What a joke. This is NY, you can't avoid that. They should have made Hank the best paid player. Slats drops another one.

Are you serious? :help:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are you serious? :help:

We are talking about 250k here. Not 2.5m.

If we are going anywhere in the coming 20 years, it will be thanks to Hank. Lets be realistic about that. I just can't believe that Slats didn't make a statement and gave him more than Cindy and co.

Maybe he shouldn't have topped AO. But the other guys...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BBKers- Isn't these the exact numbers you reported about a while back?

Keep the info coming!

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
The cap is only going to go up. Richie's $6.667 will be off the books next year no matter what. Those two factors alone will completely cancel out Lundqvist's 8.5. Not to mention, it's only a 1.7 increase in what he's currently making.

He's one of the best goalies in the league, and certainly deserves to be paid as such.

Let's get this guy a cup already!

This is a serious question, what if Beaver getting injured, can they by him out then?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

Just about every big money contract is based off past performance. The guy has been a finalist for the Vezina just about every year hes been in the league and won it two years ago. He's getting $1.7 million more then his current contract that he signed in 2008. Did anyone really think he wouldn't get a raise?

Its the same % of the cap as the deal he signed in 2008. Hell imagine what the cap will be in the final couple of years of this contract. Probably closer to $90 million.

Star players want job security and that they won't have to up root their families after living in the same place for many years. The way he has played to date (which is what we have to base it off of bcuz none of us have a crystal ball) he deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad