Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You guys can say all you want how it would be better to have players like Toews or Kane or Crosby.

Where do you expect to get these guys from?

Its not like we can take the cap space this offseason and bring in a generational forward...

It is not about Toews, Kane, or Crosby. They will likely never hit the open market. However, you can get the next tier down, the guys you would expect to get about $5-6MM on the open market. A guy like a James Neal off the top of my head. Never going to win a Hart or Art Ross, but a guy who adds tremendous value to your top-6. Like I said earlier in the thread, if it is the difference between no cap space and $1.5MM in cap space, then it doesnt matter. But, if it is the difference between $5MM in cap space and $6.5MM in space, it is huge.

Secondly, it is about VALUE. The difference between Henrik and the 20th best goalie in the league is really not all that much in terms of production, but it is HUGE in terms of $ and cap space. So, you take the slightly lesser goalie at the much lesser cap hit and use the difference to improve the skaters. How many times have we seen the Rangers go up against a goalie we think is a scrub and he absolutely stones them? The complaints are, "We are making this nobody look like Patrick Roy." B.S. The goalie isn't some scrub, it is that there are just so many really good goalies in this league that you do not need to have the best (ha, as if Henrik is the best) or the highest paid to be successful.

Last edited:

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
So where is the Hometown discount everyone said Hank would give us???? Don't ever be fooled again. I hate Marty. But that guy has accomplished more in his pinky then Hank has and all he ever did was give the Devils discounts to stay in NJ throughout his career.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So where is the Hometown discount everyone said Hank would give us???? Don't ever be fooled again. I hate Marty. But that guy has accomplished more in his pinky then Hank has and all he ever did was give the Devils discounts to stay in NJ throughout his career.

exactly. He really sounds like a clown when he says, "The idea of playing somewhere else was just wrong..." Well, then why did you have to be the highest paid goalie? Dustin Brown wanted to stay in LA. He signed a deal that was less than what he could have got, but still a lot of money and cap-friendly for the team.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Comparing Lundqvist to... Dustin Brown? Really?

Lundqvist, behind Crosby and possibly Ovechkin, is probably the highest profile player in the NHL in the NHL's biggest U.S. market. Of course he was going to get paid. This isn't just about his performance on the ice, it's also about PR, marketing, and legacy within the NYR organization. Martin Biron was interviewed yesterday on NHL Network radio and basically said Lundqvist had the strongest presence of in the room of anyone that he's played with.

I can't even believe all of the fans turned accountants that are *****ing about this. This is EXACTLY the culture this organization constantly misses its mark with and they finally get it right - draft a player, he becomes elite, he spends his career doing everything for your organization and his number goes in the rafters. Detroit Yzerman, Colorado Sakic, Detroit Lidstrom, NJ Brodeur, etc...

Henrik leaving would've devastated a ton of fans and tarnished the legacy of guy that only wants to be Ranger and always stood on his head in front of mediocre teams and made the team better than it was. And we're talking about 1M cap space or whatever so we can sign another Pouliot or whoever? No thanks. Glad to keep the King in NY where he'll end up with every NYR goalie record and hopefully a cup.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just about every big money contract is based off past performance. The guy has been a finalist for the Vezina just about every year hes been in the league and won it two years ago. He's getting $1.7 million more then his current contract that he signed in 2008. Did anyone really think he wouldn't get a raise?

Its the same % of the cap as the deal he signed in 2008. Hell imagine what the cap will be in the final couple of years of this contract. Probably closer to $90 million.

Star players want job security and that they won't have to up root their families after living in the same place for many years. The way he has played to date (which is what we have to base it off of bcuz none of us have a crystal ball) he deserves it.

Probably close to 110m. 80m within three years (two years of Hanks contract). 80 x 1.05^5 = 102m. A 5% bigger cap per year is nothing for the NHL. Its the bumper alone.

80 x 1.075^5 = 114.85m

80 x 1.1^5 = 128.84m

Teams aren't utterly stupid. Why do you think they give mediocre players insane contracts? What is like the young top 4 D who only sign three year contracts going to get when the cap is 110m? Clarkson just got what 6m per with a 63m cap...

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Lundqvist, behind Crosby and possibly Ovechkin, is probably the highest profile player in the NHL in the NHL's biggest U.S. market. Of course he was going to get paid. This isn't just about his performance on the ice, it's also about PR, marketing, and legacy within the NYR organization. Martin Biron was interviewed yesterday on NHL Network radio and basically said Lundqvist had the strongest presence of in the room of anyone that he's played with.

I can't even believe all of the fans turned accountants that are *****ing about this. This is EXACTLY the culture this organization constantly misses its mark with and they finally get it right - draft a player, he becomes elite, he spends his career doing everything for your organization and his number goes in the rafters. Detroit Yzerman, Colorado Sakic, Detroit Lidstrom, NJ Brodeur, etc...

Henrik leaving would've devastated a ton of fans and tarnished the legacy of guy that only wants to be Ranger and always stood on his head in front of mediocre teams and made the team better than it was. And we're talking about 1M cap space or whatever so we can sign another Pouliot or whoever? No thanks. Glad to keep the King in NY where he'll end up with every NYR goalie record and hopefully a cup.
I do not care about profile, or the face of the franchise or any of that nonsense. I care about production and the TEAM. People need to get over the nostalgia factor with these guys. If it was all about staying in NY and winning a cup in NY he would have taken less money to make sure there was cap room to improve the rest of the roster.

Again, the extra $1MM is not about getting another Poulliot, but I do not expect most of you to comprehend. I mean, people here think Lundqvist did the Rangers a favor by ONLY taking 7 years and ONLY taking $1.5MM more than any other goaltender. I know, he is the face of the franchise and since they paid guys like Holik and Drury, Lundqvist deserves a stupid contract, as well. The brilliance on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Funny you bring up Brodeur. The "face" of the Devils who twice took less than what he could have got to stay in NJ and keep the cost down and this was BEFORE the salary cap. In 99 and 2002. 99 he was an RFA, didn't hold out, took slightly north of $4MM. In 2002 when he was going to become a UFA, he took just south of $7MM. Again, could have got more especially since the salary cap didn't exist. Crazy thing is, they won the Cup the season immediately after taking less money to stay.

Tikkanese

Dec 6, 2006
New York

I agree with all of this, but I still think there should have been room for a lower cap hit on this deal to ensure NYR has the space to sign talented depth around Henrik. Even if he has a 0.00 GAA, NYR cannot win without other quality players.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I do not care about profile, or the face of the franchise or any of that nonsense. I care about production and the TEAM. People need to get over the nostalgia factor with these guys. If it was all about staying in NY and winning a cup in NY he would have taken less money to make sure there was cap room to improve the rest of the roster.

Again, the extra $1MM is not about getting another Poulliot, but I do not expect most of you to comprehend. I mean, people here think Lundqvist did the Rangers a favor by ONLY taking 7 years and ONLY taking $1.5MM more than any other goaltender. I know, he is the face of the franchise and since they paid guys like Holik and Drury, Lundqvist deserves a stupid contract, as well. The brilliance on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Funny you bring up Brodeur. The "face" of the Devils who twice took less than what he could have got to stay in NJ and keep the cost down and this was BEFORE the salary cap. In 99 and 2002. 99 he was an RFA, didn't hold out, took slightly north of $4MM. In 2002 when he was going to become a UFA, he took just south of $7MM. Again, could have got more especially since the salary cap didn't exist. Crazy thing is, they won the Cup the season immediately after taking less money to stay.

Two things:

Name a more consistent goalie in the league in the last 7 years and really look at the numbers. His performance ALONE passes your smell test for the value/$ You HAVE to factor the other things in - you don't think the NYR get a ton of money from Lundqvist merchandise? That factors into their decision and rightfully so.

Funny thing you bring up Brodeur - Salary Cap in 2005-06 was $39 million Brodeur signed a 6 year 5.2 million dollar contract. Why is that funny? 13.3% of NJ's total cap space. Henrik's is 13.49%. Yeah, Brodeur really took one for the team... :shakehead

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
eggs on our face is what we fans get with higher ticket prices to boot....

hanks a very good goalie, who plays great at times, he has no cup, 500 record post season, never gotten us to finals, that add up to 8.5 mill a year?

what if we won 2 cups with him, how much money would he have gotten then?

When you include reality instead of skewed reality then yes, yes it does. Say everything you just said only apply it to Sather and ask if that merits such a long tenure at GM. There's where your inquiry should have gone

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
i wish there was some alternate universe in which we could see what happens if we let hank go because he wants too much money, sign one of these elite scorers that are somehow going to become available to us, and have a team that scores goals with a goalie that couldn't stop a flu.

Also look at the extra 1.5 million in cap space that is the apparent end of the world for this team cap wise, look where its being spent on ****in pyatt to be scratched for how many games now. That 1.5 million would be used next summer to sign the next pyatt, pouliot or asham which we DO NOT need. The tighter cap is going to force sather to fill a spot or two in the bottom 6 with youth, hungry guys with a future on this team not pyatt and pouliot.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
It was never blown up because Lundqvist continues to drag a bad team into mediocrity.

Reading over some the posts here I realized that at this point this wass maybe the 10th time you posted this. For some reason rather than throw your hands up and admit we had a bad GM and that's all the issue is you want to lay part of the blame at lundqvists feet bc he actually played well.

It doesn't make sense

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing is this. He has gone pretty much injury free for his whole career. Who does that? Exactly my point, nobody. So he could get injured. What is the plan if that happens? Say he blows a knee and he's no longer as quick as he was. You're paying an awful lot on past performance.

Martin Brodeur? He's pretty much injured only for one season in his NHL career.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
It sucks, but this is something I agree with. It's not a problem of Henrik per se, it's the problem of Glen's perception of him.

Many times he can mask our goal scoring deficiencies by playing absolutely lights out, and have us win 2-1 or 3-2 games.

But, instead of addressing those scoring issues to help the man out, Sather assumes he can just keep this up through a playoff run. He lets himself believe, constantly, that Henrik makes this team a contender by himself.

Combine that with his massive overvaluing of his own roster, and you have mediocrity chiseled in stone.

You are implying he did not even TRY to address them which is just patently false. Since he did try on at least 5 different notable occasions through FA alone this nullifies your whole arguement.

Gaborik, Richards, Gomez, Drury, Redden. 3 out of the 5 were terrible signings from the moment we made them bc they were made solely for the purpose of either scoring in ways they had never scored in their careers or in ways they had only done once. Sather was ignorantly relying on outliers and overpaid big time. for Gomez and Drury neither one had ever scored much. Drury had just had a career year on an offensive juggernaut. Redden was always a horrific signing he was not very good at all his final years in ottowa. Those three signings to address scoring were terrible sather decisions and it has zero to do with lundqvist and everything to do with having an awful GM.

We traded for Jagr, Nash, Lisin, Wolski, Zherdev, kristo. All meant to address scoring. They clearly weren't meant to address any defensive shortcomings (in fact kristo can't make the NHL solely bc of defense). Clearly the Gm has tried to address this he just fails hard b/c he's an old garbage can. Hell we've even tried drafting. MDZ, Sang, Cherepanov. All were meant to address offense (miller is more of a two way pick I think). All were 1st rounders (in there is the infamous Giroux whiff). Anisimov, Stepan, Grachev, Thomas. Draft picks didn't develop offensively (or much at all) save for Stepan (let's face it Anisimov was a good all around player but did not develop offensively and Stepan seems like a sure thing now but has so far only had the one half season). Many trades didn't work, many FA signings didn't work, pretty much none of the early offensive draft picks worked out. Bad GM.

All this is without even referencing everything before 2004. (cough Jessiman, Brendl, Lundmark). Couldn't hang on to Korpikoski either. Abysmal GMing. period

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's really nice when players take a large hometown discount... but it's really ridiculous to expect a player to and criticize when they don't.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
So......generational talent doesn't hit free agency, we don't wanna trade our overrated prospects for talent, and our drafting is ****, guess we'll continue with the mediocrity

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I had said something similar in another thread & got killed for saying it. But now it's the truth. I hate Brodeur, but i am a fair person & the truth is that that fat **** has won the big game when it's counted most of the time & has the rings & plenty of money as well, but still managed to work with Lou to get paid well & allow Lou to stay in a budget & build multiple winning teams.

The best we can say about Lundqvist is that he has stood on his head & got us a higher seed in the playoffs. When it counted a couple of years ago in the ECF a 40 year old over the hill Brodeur beat a 29 year old in his prime Lundqvist.

The more i think about this deal the worse it is.

So what now? The King got paid now he has to deliver & he has to deliver within 1-3 years of this deal or he is gonna get killed by us & he will deserve it.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Two things:

Name a more consistent goalie in the league in the last 7 years and really look at the numbers. His performance ALONE passes your smell test for the value/$ You HAVE to factor the other things in - you don't think the NYR get a ton of money from Lundqvist merchandise? That factors into their decision and rightfully so.

Funny thing you bring up Brodeur - Salary Cap in 2005-06 was $39 million Brodeur signed a 6 year 5.2 million dollar contract. Why is that funny? 13.3% of NJ's total cap space. Henrik's is 13.49%. Yeah, Brodeur really took one for the team... :shakehead

I can't believe i'm defending Brodeur, bottom line is Brodeur is a multi cup winner. IMO that goes along way when you are working out a deal.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Brodeur didn't give a hometown discount at Lundqvist's age. That's just a myth. He was making about $7m when he was 32. And if you want to say that you consider that a hometown discount, well Hasek was getting $8m on the open market. Brodeur left basically the same amount of money on the table, compared to the open market, as Lundqvist did. Then, when he signed a deal at 34 in the salary cap era, he took about the same exact percentage of the cap as Lundqvist has. Yeah, Brodeur is more accomplished. But he didn't give hometown discounts at Lundqvist's age. Period.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Two things:

yes, Lundqvist is literally the best goalie int he NHL over the last 7 years when looked at as a whole. Years from now when he's long retired, he's going to be looked at as arguably the best goalie of his generation, certainly one of the best. Hopefully the Rangers find a way to win a cup with him because it'd be a shame for one of the elite players of his generation to never win one.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
sign one of these elite scorers that are somehow going to become available to us, and have a team that scores goals with a goalie that couldn't stop a flu.

Hm, interesting, so you are talking about letting Hank go and using this money to sign one of the best UFA's to hit the market this summer (Statsny, Gionta, Hemsky or Jokinen)? ;) (I know you were joking)

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It prevents the team from getting much, much worse.

That's it?

Was hoping for a steady improvement of talent among the whole team but I guess not being worse while continuing to draft in the mid to late first round (if they keep their picks) while filling up the bottom lines and 2nd/3rd pair(maybe 1st pair without Girardi) of the team with the leftover UFAs or middling prospects will have to do.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Realistically the Rangers AREN"T bad enough to finish low enough in the league to draft top 3 or even top 5 without Lundqvist.

The only way that happens is if they purposefully tank and trade off their current good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad