Rangers Raise “Regular season Champions” banner.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Why not just do President's Trophy? That's what the Blues did. Though I don't see the point in a "Western Conference Champions" banner for 2018-19.

View attachment 917315

Detroit did both as well:

636217646261873043-BT6I2655-88.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Rangers have a banner for this that goes back well before the NHL created the President's Trophy, so they're probably just trying to be consistent with their own internal precedent. The President's Trophy only goes back to 1986, and the Rangers history goes back a lot further than that.
Yea it's pretty obvious why it says it, OP trolling as usual though.

Reactions: banks and Kane One

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anything that isn't a Cup banner is sad. Imagine being proud of winning an 8-team division.

Imagine winning the Cup in a 6-team league...

Let teams do what they want.

Winning the President's Trophy is a pretty rare and difficult accomplishment so I don't really see an issue with it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I know you're trying to make a joke, but I do really wonder if teams actually raised regular season banners back then.

I think it became a thing later on.

The Bruins used to have individual banners for division champs, etc (mostly to compete with all the Celtics championship banners) but have since consolidated it to 1 banner for each non Cup milestone and they list the years

s-l1600.jpg

a3671d0ee2737eea79cdbe5ceb9d1001.jpg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Rangers have a banner for this that goes back well before the NHL created the President's Trophy, so they're probably just trying to be consistent with their own internal precedent. The President's Trophy only goes back to 1986, and the Rangers history goes back a lot further than that.
This is not that bad if that’s the case.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
It seems to me an accomplishment worthy of a banner. It is, after all, a NHL championship trophy...on par with the Stanley Cup and more prestigious than the Prince of Wales Trophy and Campbell Bowl awarded for playoff conference championships.

Lots of teams are unworthy. They fail to win. They are never regular season champions. They are never the regular season runner-up. They are never Stanley Cup champions. They are never Stanley Cup finalists. They simply embrace their putrid mediocrity. Those are the pretenders deserving of scorn and mockery.

• Wow
Reactions: John Price

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
and people shit on the caps for raising their president trophy banners this is much worse 😂 the rangers are an original six franchise they are above this

kobe Bryant once said the only banners that should be raised are title ones. this doesn't count

Reactions: SI90

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Anything that isn't a Cup banner is sad. Imagine being proud of winning an 8-team division.
I agree, but there are lots of banners for winning a four team division. I've always thought it has something to do with baseball (MLB and pre-MLB) where winning your division useed to be a really big deal.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So the actual award/trophy is the President's Trophy but they somehow decided to change the name to Regular Season Champions?

It is dumb. Any franchise would get mocked for something so idiotic.
As mentioned here, they used this wording before the trophy even existed.

And considering half this thread, including myself, put the apostrophe in the wrong spot, maybe this wording is better.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
They dont say “regular season champions” they say “presidents trophy winner”

There is no championship given out for the regular season. This is incredibly tacky and “pick me girl” energy.
Have you not been to a game of your favorite team? Because they have banners for division championships.

I should probably get back to work. :laugh:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Have you not been to a game of your favorite team? Because they have banners for division championships.

I should probably get back to work. :laugh:
Division championships are more accepted than regular season championships in terms of wording. You actually win something tangible for winning a division, you get home ice. You dont win anything for being “regular season champions” just a trophy that no players actually wants to win, and it usually a curse as most “regular season champions” dont fair well in the playoffs. Regular season championships is tack because no one wins the regular season. It’s for seeding for the playoffs which are the championships of the NHL. I have no issue with banners, i have issue with ‘regular season champions” on banners.

*Ive never been to Edmonton, I live in Ottawa.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Division championships are more accepted than regular season championships in terms of wording. Regular season championships is tack because no one wins the regular season. It’s for seeding for the playoffs which are the championships of the NHL. I have no issue with banners, i have issue with ‘regular season champions” on banners.

*Ive never been to Edmonton, I live in Ottawa.
It’s not for seeding. The seeding would be the same whether or not the trophy itself exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad