Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Detroit 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Or you could recognize that the entire point of having a deep team is that lines can have a tough game or go through tough stretches and that's OKAY.

The tough matchups just make it more likely that Stepan is going to have a down night than Hayes or Brassard.

Hey, no complaints about the overall structure and depth of this team from me.

It's just that Stepan has shown that he can win matchups against quality centers and defensemen and what he has done in the past few weeks is really disheartening in a way. He has another level and he's just not getting there.

I would take MSL off his line, but with the rest of the lines playing so well, where would he go? Really, he is the guy that shouldn't be getting these tough matchups, for two reasons:
1. his defensive game is nonexistent
2. his offense has completely shriveled up this year, which makes it even more unlikely that he will score against tougher matchups.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For all the hate Girardi gets I think relative to their peak abilities, he's been better than McDonagh this season. I notice Girardi having to cover for McD's mistakes far more often than ever before with them as a pair.

McD is still forcing the play, making bonehead decisions in the d zone and trying to do too much. Also stop moving his feet defensively and doing s lot

I agree with that. I don't think anyone realistically expects Girardi to be anything more than a grinder on defense. McDonagh is supposed to be our best player.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Stepan was an idiot tonight but how does a ref and a linesman not call or catch this? Absurd.

11041758_10153033607120399_8547233037593857614_n.jpg

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Stepan put himself in a position to get called there. It was a dumb play.

Agreed. And the refs are going to call Stepan 99% of the time especially because Nyquist was pretty sly about holding Stepan's arm, I mean he maintained control of the puck. Plus from where the ref was it looks like Stepan is holding him. Still sucks though, especially because they almost killed it off.

I like Yandle a lot, I think once he settles in he's going to rack up the points in this system. Him and Boyle in the offensive zone with the Brass line is beastly.

On another note, Detroit's system is infuriating. They commit so much interference it's maddening. Any time you try and dump and chase or use the speed to get around someone, they're stepping in your lane and making contact. Literally committing penalties the entire game, that's why I can't take any Wings fan seriously when they complain about the refs. Their team is committing holds and hooks and interference all game long. I mean, I get it especially against the Rangers, try and slow us down. But still, it's maddening. Clutch and grab era stuff.

He never actually held Nyquist though. This isn't one of those times where it's his fault for holding a little bit at first; there really isn't anything he could have done.
It looked like it though, mainly because he is a RH shot and reached in from the inside, Nyquist grabbed on a voila. If that were on the opposite side of the ice Stepan would've stick lifted and picked his pocket like he always does, but being a RH shot on that side of the ice, he's coming from the inside, Nyquist clamps on and delays for a second indicating a hold, Step's other arm is around him for a second and to the ref it looks like Stepan is holding him.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
That call is very hard to make at full speed. They don't get freeze frames to analyze the penalty.

I have zero problem with the refs calling that the way they called it. I'm annoyed that's how the game ended, but the call itself has no complaints from me.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Should have been offsetting minors. Stepan for hooking and Nyqvist for holding the stick.

Unfortunately the only was any ref is making that call on Nyquist is if he blatantly takes his hand off his stick, which he didn't. Very sly play by him to make it seem like he didn't do anything.

With a little bit of puck luck (Staal post, Hayes open net, Nash open net right into Howard) that's a decisive victory.

If we play like that every game, we're going to win a lot. I mean, Detroit is one of the top teams in the league and at times they couldn't keep up and were just holding on for dear life.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
C'mon, guys. The Rangers were the better team for the majority of the play, but it was against the Wings at home and they had a couple of calls/plays go their way. Is anyone not still enthused about where this team is going? Man, I am SO pumped for this squad...

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Unfortunately the only was any ref is making that call on Nyquist is if he blatantly takes his hand off his stick, which he didn't. Very sly play by him to make it seem like he didn't do anything.

With a little bit of puck luck (Staal post, Hayes open net, Nash open net right into Howard) that's a decisive victory.

If we play like that every game, we're going to win a lot. I mean, Detroit is one of the top teams in the league and at times they couldn't keep up and were just holding on for dear life.

This is why I'm in favor of one coach's challenge per game. The game is too fast for the refs to make accurate decisions with any sort of accuracy.

But I'm also in favor of making goalie interference goals and early whistle goals reviewable. People will argue that it will take too much time. I say that the correct call is more important than an extra 5 minutes.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
4th line was excellent tonight. Sheppard had a zone exit tonight past Datsyuk that Tanner could only dream about making.

What are the odds Glass is back in next game and one of Fast/Sheppard comes out?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
C'mon, guys. The Rangers were the better team for the majority of the play, but it was against the Wings at home and they had a couple of calls/plays go their way. Is anyone not still enthused about where this team is going? Man, I am SO pumped for this squad...

I just finished watching it off the dvr. I agree with this. Dominated a very good team for long stretches. Got another point without Hank. Very frustrating way to end a game, and the Wings truly are shameless with the interference and the holding but Step put himself in the position to get that exact call.

I thought that was maybe Talbot's best game ever. He was incredible. The first and third lines had some great, great shifts. The second didn't seem to get anything going at any point.

Thought Staal and Klein had good games too. Lots of time with the puck, lots of scoring chances for defensive d-men.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Missed the game but sounds like the boys played well against a good team on the road.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Oh cause I'm reading on the main boards that we got "rocked" or something.

Any time we lose we get rocked. Any time we win we either get lucky bounces or refs helped us. You should know this by now.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Been a big fan of Brassard since his Drummondville years. I was starting to think he was never going to put it together, but the games I've watched with him this year has been a nice surprise. I'm happy he's come to develop so well for you guys. You must be very happy with him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
MSL was trash all night long.

But everyone else was great. Sheppard was very unnoticeable in a great way. I noticed how AV had no problem starting them in the d zone multiple times in a row--refreshing to see especially when I'm so used to that black hole Glass getting o zone starts. Hopefully they start chipping in offensively soon and that will solidify Glass as the 13th forward.

Miller made some really bad turnovers in the defensive zone. However he was awesome in the offensive zone.

All the dmen had great games, all of them. Yandle will need some time to settle in but this d core is a insanely good. Staal looks VERY comfortable playing with Boyle now too...

Nash is on a scoring slump, which is a real Shame--hoping he breaks out of that soon.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Btw, Zucc should have had an assist on the goal. How on earth did they give it to Brass?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our normally average possession numbers have been sparkling since adding Yandle. Small sample, but I'm gonna predict not a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad