Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Detroit 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Really ****** way to lose. Glad we at least got a point but we were the better team last night. On to the next one.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ehhh I dont' think defensive zone strategy is a great indicator of whether a team plays a skill game. I think it's more that the Rangers just played a good game and made things pretty tough on the Wings, they struggled to get their cycle going for most of the game (outside of some good shifts) Given some room they probably would look fantastic but the rangers didn't give them a ton

that said I don't watch Detroit play that much

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
They played really well overall. I thought Talbot also played great. 1st D-pair had its issues that led to the first goal against. Howard was playing at a high level all game. Fluky goal ended it in OT after a debatable call against Stepan in the last minute of the 3rd.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I think they play a similar game to the Islanders. Two man forecheck. The Rangers were the better team and it's a shame we didn't get the second point. Out shot and out Corsi'd them by a large margin. Detroit had no answer to our offensive pressure for a large majority of the game.

Cam was really good. Probably his best game of the season.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Knew that game would be a **** show from the officiating from the get go when they were up on their high horse about the embellishment with Fast. The embellishment penalty has completly changed the game from the officiating point of view, no longer is a penalty just tripping the ref has to decide if there was embellishment as well, which is great since half these idiots have a hard time making obvious decisions on simple tripping penalties.

****** way to loose but it is what it is, Talbot had a great game but so did Howard; onto the next one.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They played really well overall. I thought Talbot also played great. 1st D-pair had its issues that led to the first goal against. Howard was playing at a high level all game. Fluky goal ended it in OT after a debatable call against Stepan in the last minute of the 3rd.

eh even though they gave the puck away on that first goal it was still more of a broken play that resulted in the goal. Fanning on a shot and the puck goes right to a Wings player and creates a 2 on 1 down low

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Ulf needs to work with Yandle around the house.

He drifts up towards the walls and out of the slot too often and he was partly to blame for the 1st goal against. On one occasion he slid up (not sure if he even realized it or not) towards the left point and completely exposed the slot. Helm was standing right there and had a pass made it through it would have been 1 on 0. Kreider came back but it wouldve been too late.

His reads are off. Sure, its only two games. Im figuring it will take him 10-12 games to get that together. He was a step ahead of that pass on the PP in the slot otherwise thats in the net. He'll get there.

Anyway - really good game from both teams last night. Really good hockey. I thought both teams deserved a point but the Rangers were the better team overall. The calls were **** both ways, what are you going to do...

That was really the first game I've watched all year where I thought we (Wings) were out hustled and worked. Our team has had that as a hallmark thus far. The Rangers made it to the SCF for a reason. I obviously don't see the interference the same way :) But I can't really be objective and having played in the west for so long it just looks normal to me. I think a lot of it is just play styles, watch a Hawks or a Blues game if you want to see it done quite a bit more honestly.

Yandle looked great on the offensive side and I agree he was leaving holes for us and his speed allows him to slide back but Helm is not someone you beat in a foot race very often. Overall a great game, had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I don't want to face you guys in the playoffs but I think it will be one heck of a series to be a part of it it happens.

Good Luck! Beat thos Habs!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

He drifts up towards the walls and out of the slot too often and he was partly to blame for the 1st goal against. On one occasion he slid up (not sure if he even realized it or not) towards the left point and completely exposed the slot. Helm was standing right there and had a pass made it through it would have been 1 on 0. Kreider came back but it wouldve been too late.

His reads are off. Sure, its only two games. Im figuring it will take him 10-12 games to get that together. He was a step ahead of that pass on the PP in the slot otherwise thats in the net. He'll get there.

Anyway - really good game from both teams last night. Really good hockey. I thought both teams deserved a point but the Rangers were the better team overall. The calls were **** both ways, what are you going to do...

Yandle wasn't even on the ice for the first goal against, it was McDonagh and Girardi.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I could watch the

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Yandle-Boyle

And

Hagelin-Hayes-Miller
Yandle-Boyle

offensive zone highlights for hours

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
pretty disgusted watching the wings get away with picks, holding, and interference plays all night. Why was this allowed? There is no accountability with officiating, and it's ruining the integrity of the sport.

lost a lot of respect for wings/coach, but maybe it's to be expected given...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm sorry, but complaining about all the interference that the Wings get away with is stupid.

This wasn't an isolated game where they got away with everything, this is how they play against everyone. I had a bigger problem with the officials in the Nashville game when they were allowed to get away with hauling people down the entire game than I did with Detroit getting away with picks all night, thats par for the course against them. The Stepan call annoyed me, but only because Nyquist should have been taken off the ice for 2 as well.

All the crap Detroit was doing didn't keep the Rangers from controlling the game. If you want to complain about anything, complain about the ****** shooting luck and Howard playing well, since those are the reasons they walked away from this game with a single point instead of 2.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Pretty entertaining game, too bad it was on NBC.

I think these are two of the better teams in the entire league this season and could be a preview of the ECF.

The Wings were lucky to get the win tonight, as it was nowhere near their best effort. Good goaltending by Howard and some bounces got them the 2 points. They were pretty much out of sync all night. Terrible passing, miss-communication between new linemates and D-pairings, etc... Wings are also down a few players with injury like Helm, Franzen, and Marchenko. Zetterberg didn't do much as he was playing in his first game after missing a few games with a concussion. This was also their first game with new TDL acquisitions Zidlicky and Cole in their lineup, so their lines were jumbled quite a bit in this one. Datsyuk didn't do much, etc... Rangers were the better team last night for stretches, and the Wings carried play for stretches. Overall, the Rangers were better, but the Wings were good enough to steal the extra point in OT.

You'd be making a mistake if you watched that single game and concluded that the Wings aren't a skilled team. They have the number #1 rated power play in the league! That doesn't happen without skill. They can play a lot better than that. Come playoff time, they will be even more dangerous when the roster is expanded and they can bring up guys up like Teemu Pulkkinnen (leading AHL in goals/points). Who was busy scoring another hat trick (his 2nd in last 9 games) in Grand Rapids for the Griffins last night while the Rangers and Wings game was being played. Their are rumors that Franzen may be back soon, another useful big body come playoffs.

Don't think this team is going to be cupcake come playoffs just based off this game.

I don't think many people were saying that the Wings aren't a skilled team. However, I do think you're putting their problems in the game solely on their own lack of execution rather than on the Rangers pressuring them. Both teams pressured each other hard most of the game. Most NYR games don't look like that either in terms of failed passes and losing puck possession.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm sorry, but complaining about all the interference that the Wings get away with is stupid.

This wasn't an isolated game where they got away with everything, this is how they play against everyone. I had a bigger problem with the officials in the Nashville game when they were allowed to get away with hauling people down the entire game than I did with Detroit getting away with picks all night, thats par for the course against them. The Stepan call annoyed me, but only because Nyquist should have been taken off the ice for 2 as well.

All the crap Detroit was doing didn't keep the Rangers from controlling the game. If you want to complain about anything, complain about the ****** shooting luck and Howard playing well, since those are the reasons they walked away from this game with a single point instead of 2.

Who's saying this is the only time they did it? They do it every game, that doesn't make it more palatable or less of a problem IMO.

It's like people said back a bit, they commit so many penalties that the refs have to change the definitions of what they'll call because they can't call one every single shift. That's a BS strategy and it shouldn't be enabled by the league.

I sincerely hope they call everything tighter in the playoffs. I'd love to see some of these teams that depend on this stuff have to win without it.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
This is actually a great analogy. The refs can't call every infraction committed by the Wings, or else the Rangers would've had 30 power plays. So the standard for what's legal and illegal is changed.

The amount of interference and picks and clogging the lanes with a bump here and there is infuriating to watch.

Considering how much they let go for the Redwings the call on Stepan was shameful. It was already a 4 on 4.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Who's saying this is the only time they did it? They do it every game, that doesn't make it more palatable or less of a problem IMO.

It's like people said back a bit, they commit so many penalties that the refs have to change the definitions of what they'll call because they can't call one every single shift. That's a BS strategy and it shouldn't be enabled by the league.

I sincerely hope they call everything tighter in the playoffs. I'd love to see some of these teams that depend on this stuff have to win without it.

There is a better chance of me winning Powerball, I'm afraid.

Human nature being what it is, officials are petrified of being the reason that a team wins or loses the Stanley Cup.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
There is a better chance of me winning Powerball, I'm afraid.

Human nature being what it is, officials are petrified of being the reason that a team wins or loses the Stanley Cup.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?

But yeah, you're probably right. Wishful thinking.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

I really don't think the wings get past the habs or lightning anyway. Yes the playoffs are different but they don't have a regulation win against either of those teams this season.

Hopefully the Rangers will follow what Benn did earlier in the season. That'll show em. We know it won't happen though but would be nice. :laugh:

http://youtu.be/F5DFSD3ZpJk

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
kenny Albert added, “you are absolutely right because if the hook that eventually was called, the slash took place five seconds later so how do you call the hook if you didn’t call it initially.”

Dave adds, “right, because what happens then is that Brassard gets hooked and looses possession of the puck, if the plays is called correctly, on that possession turnover play stops so he doesn’t chop the stick.”

Kenny adds, “it should be one or the other, the hook or the slash, how do you call both when the hook occurred five seconds before and the play should have been blown dead?”

On the post game show, Don La Greca said, “I think that Dave’s bone of contention is that you took both of them so you didn’t want a PP to effect the end of the game, then a minute later you take Derek Stepan for holding at 19:13.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/the-rangers-got-jobbed-last-night-against-detroit/#comments

Maloney makes a really good point. The real **** up by the referees was not calling Abdelkader's hook until AFTER Brassard slashed him and took a penalty himself. The referees arm wasn't even up when the first penalty occurred. Did they really worry about giving the Rangers a PP with 2 minutes to go? Whatever, but then why only call Stepan on the Nyquist play if they're so damn concerned about not ending a game like that?

As much as they "try not to" the referees have way too much ****ing control over the game.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012

He drifts up towards the walls and out of the slot too often and he was partly to blame for the 1st goal against.

Im 99% sure the D paring was MCD and G for the first goal.

With that said I think its obvious we needed Tanner Glass to do one of his patented tape to tape assists if we were going to win that one. The team offense kind of let us down as we blew quite a few 2 on 1 situations for various reasons. We didn't challenge Howard as much as we could have(missed shots, choosing poor passes over quality shots). We had volume but not a ton of quality chances. Im glad we got a point out of it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Mcdonagh was the one with the awful turnover up the middle on first goal Yandle wasn't on the ice

Mcdonagh was awful last night. Love this kid but he's been so hot/cold its maddening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad