Proposal: Rangers-Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif
premise is MacK out extensive time, and out of who is available and at what cost, Strome retained is attractive. Howev, the premise may be wrong.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am suspending further comment by me on this until it is clear how long MacKinnon is out. While Strome is a good and useful add, I agree Avs prefer to keep Barron unless MacK is out a signif amount of time.
Would appreciate anyone with an authoritative source establishing how long that is. If I was misinformed, I apologize

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Strome is not a great fit for Colorado. Strome is a Deharnais level player where he will produce if put in a position to do, but one where you really don’t him as one of your top two centers and is a poor fit in the bottom 6.

These kinds of players always end up making too much and can become a huge crutch for teams as they have a hard time letting go if they don’t have a built in replacement. Regardless of that though I think the Rangers should move on this summer, I wouldn’t touch 5.5 long term for Strome but think he might get it. On a contending team he is going to become an anchor quickly.
1. assessment of Strome as a fit is not unreasonable, but others said he was an upgrade at 3C, so.... perhaps room for discussion, notwithstanding that the premise needs to apply, which it may not.
2. NY can't afford Strome at any #. I would not give him big # at long term. If Avs wish to pursue a deal, then maybe 6 or even 6.5 but only for 1 yr, 2 max, is a thought. Who, besides Kraken, might consider mo $ at longer term?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We'll be fine without Mack for any period of time in the regular season. Im actually looking forward to having rantanen establish himself as an elite centre and Makar as the key focus of the PP.
Can't blame a man for following [a mirror] of my position, which is to give Chytil + Barron mo mins. Howev, do you have sufficient depth? Is Jost cutting it? Again, premise must be correct or not worth it for Avs.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Can't blame a man for following [a mirror] of my position, which is to give Chytil + Barron mo mins. Howev, do you have sufficient depth? Is Jost cutting it? Again, premise must be correct or not worth it for Avs.

Yup. I think we won almost every game without Mack and was on a historical offensive pace. Jost is a 4th line C right now, he's definitely not there offset Mack's contributions. That has been Makar, rantanen, Kadri. Makar in particular steps up offensively when he doesn't defer to Mack.

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I am suspending further comment by me on this until it is clear how long MacKinnon is out. While Strome is a good and useful add, I agree Avs prefer to keep Barron unless MacK is out a signif amount of time.
Would appreciate anyone with an authoritative source establishing how long that is. If I was misinformed, I apologize
All that’s been reported so far is that he’d miss the last 3 games prior to the all-star game and that is participation in the all star was also in question.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So risk dealing a blow to team confidence and pissing off your best player in Panarin by dealing Strome? Nah thanks. Much more likely he takes a discount and re-signs. Chytil has shown exactly nothing to prove he'd thrive with more minutes.
Disagree w/all of this, and team confidence is not so fragile as you insinuate. As to Panarin, breadman took his bread, and I appreciate he chose us, but we see how the cap works. It is rigid. It is unforgiving. All will capitulate to it, and pay a hefty price one way or the other for failure to do so. So he has to be a big boy and not complain that salary cap forced us to trade his friend.

So we fire JD and Gorton because the rebuild isn't going fast enough and hire Drury and Gallant, win waaay more than we thought and all but lock up a playoff spot by the break, so we can turn around and dump our 2C (whom our best F Panarin happens to like very much) for future considerations before we even finish the regular season.

Yup. It checks out. This was written by Bern.
Reality check. There is ZERO scenario where we can sign Strome [I mean we agree he is not replacing McKegg for McKegg $]. So whether we dump him now or we dump him later, he is dumped UNLESS they do something stupid which can only result in LaF or Kakko + sold cheap. Peeps, think please.

Also: Shesty, Fox and Kreider all say hi as to who is best Ranger player right now.

Also again: an argument can be made that JD + Gorton were let go b'c someone had the balls to tell of NHL office, and in response Bettman told Dolan to cough up a head or 2, or there would be consequences [possibly like draft picks].

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Thanks. Is that preliminary or definitive?

Preliminary, but I think I read where they'd know more after the weekend. He had surgery and had a concussion, but the ASG break timing is absolutely fortuitous for him having time to recover physically.
He was just starting to settle down and not trying to stick handle through 2-3 guys all of the time, too.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
premise is MacK out extensive time, and out of who is available and at what cost, Strome retained is attractive. Howev, the premise may be wrong.

MacK getting thrashed was perfect timing. Soft schedule into all-star break. Outside of Tampa, soft afterward. Plenty of time to come back with a cage, and the team has proven to play well missing Nate.

The Avs are comfortably in the playoffs. Sakic is going to focus on the gaps in the bottom lines and maybe snag a D.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Strome wouldn't be a bad offseason signing though. What's his game like?

Plays well with a talented winger. Has developed his game since coming to the NYR's where he's not 100% reliant on said winger, but compliments that winger extremely well.

If he gets to the open market, GM's will and have done silly shit like give Kevin Hayes 7 per. Strome is much more gifted offensively and while he may not get 7 per, it's not crazy to think he could get mid to high 6's

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs have experimented with Rants as the 1C/2C with great success. Newhook is expected to play 2C/3C after Kadri leaves for greater riches. Strome doesn’t provide any benefit and trading Barron as the future 2nd or 3rd line.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
AVs have experimented with Rants as the 1C/2C with great success. Newhook is expected to play 2C/3C after Kadri leaves for greater riches. Strome doesn’t provide any benefit and trading Barron as the future 2nd or 3rd line.
If the premise was misinformed b'c MacK will not actually miss that many games, then again, it is not even a discussion, which it could be otherwise, depending on if Avs can juggle internally vs. acquiring someone vs. who would be available at what cost.
At this pt it is not a discussion.
Disagree that Strome is not upgrade on Kadri, and also Strome could be right shot RW.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I quoted an Avs fan saying he was an upgrade "for 3C". Not commenting specif. on Newhook
Newhook is our 3C. and he’s far better than Strome.

Mack - 1C (elite)
Kadri - 2C (having career year)
Newhook - 3C (one of the NHLs top rookies).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Newhook is our 3C. and he’s far better than Strome.

Mack - 1C (elite)
Kadri - 2C (having career year)
Newhook - 3C (one of the NHLs top rookies).
You've posted that 3 times now.. We get it, you rather go with Newhook. I'm not sure I agree with he's far better than Strome, not yet at least, but hey, most people think of Strome as the guy traded from Edmonton. Either way, it wouldn't make sense to take time away from Newhook.

This trade doesn't really help NYR, either. We remove our 2c while still being in a great playoff position, and our right side is Fox, Trouba, Schneider. Seems like it doesn't help either side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad