Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 4/13/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
The only time the Rangers were "dominant" was when they were on the PP. Isles forechecking was outstanding today. Rangers, as per usual, did an exceptional job blocking shots thought. Isles were winning every battle for the puck and getting to the loose picks quicker all night.

Rewatch the first half of the second period.

We dictated play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm surprised by the outworked comments. We were out chanced for sure, but I think the work rate was equal, the Isles are just more 'in sync' than the Rangers, which is to be expected after the last 10 months of roster upheaval. A few little differences and it could have been 2-0 to the Rangers very early in the 2nd which would have changed how the game looked

I'd agree with being in sync, there's probably some truth to that. Took the Isles a long enough time to get to that point though, haha.

If either team scores before that OT, the way the game was going to be played would have completely changed. I think both teams were pretty stingy in the middle of the ice and especially in front. I don't recall seeing too many free guys hanging around. If there were a goal or two for either side, I'd expect the game to have opened up a bit more.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Is anyone else pissed at Rick Nash for quitting in the middle of a shift? Nearly costing the team the game? At least he was benched for a few shifts... should have been the rest of the game.

Nash was pretty bad tonight, IMO.

He came out on fire in the first...and then proceeded to suck it up.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
This means nothing to me. It was a single game. I too think the "far and away" better talk is being really overblown.

I've seen this team get REALLY outplayed. Tonight wasn't great for sure, but it wasn't like we were slaughtered lol.

We were VERY outplayed in the second half of the game.

The Isles fans conveniently ignore the first half of the second and the even first. Some of our own posters like to forget that, too.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I couldn't care less about posts, I care more about zone time, cycling, and quality chances.. The Isles seemed to own in zone time and chances, the Rangers had a few quality chances as well and ultimately made the most of it by putting one in when it mattered most.

We play the Bruins and Devils like that lol. Both own us in puck possession but they never really do anything with it then we score on our one good opportunity. It's how we won a lot of games last year too. Bend don't break, weather the storm.. which is extremely frustrating to watch at times.

*Bob Richards*

The Isles fans conveniently ignore the first half of the second and the even first. Some of our own posters like to forget that, too.

Like I said, I don't disagree that we were outplayed, but from an overall perspective, this was actually a pretty standard Rangers game.

And this post is pretty good and truthful.

We play the Bruins and Devils like that lol. Both own us in puck possession but they never really do anything with it then we score on our one good opportunity. It's how we won a lot of games last year too. Bend don't break, weather the storm.. which is extremely frustrating to watch at times.

Pretty much. Sadly, our offense this year compared to last year is pretty significant. :(

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ

I just re-watched it on MSG and thought the first period was pretty even. No one really did anything.

*Bob Richards*

Also, Capuano looks like he rolls out of a beanbag chair with stale pizza stuck to him and then bathes himself with old coffee filters.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Like I said, I don't disagree that we were outplayed, but from an overall perspective, this was actually a pretty standard Rangers game.

And this post is pretty good and truthful.

Pretty much. Sadly, our offense this year compared to last year is pretty significant. :(

I think it's our defense right now that is the problem. They're scrambling a lot and not getting the puck out of the zone (without taking icings) as well. I think once the D stabilizes it will help our transition game leading to a more effective offense. We need Staal back :\ Don't want to rush him or anything but it's clear we miss his presence a lot more this year than last year.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I would agree. But unlike last year, the Rangers are just not a mentally sharp squad. Too many inexcusable plays. Too many players not willing or unable to get the job done on second effort and third effort. This team is getting reallllllly hard to watch and enjoy. They really didn't deserve to win this game. Only Hank did.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

We controlled play up until the Tavares penalty, which was about 10 minutes into the period.

Aside from the Rangers PP opportunity the chances are pretty even, with a 1 or 2 chance advantage for the Rangers. The Rangers spend a lot of that time skating the length of the ice. I just rewatched the whole thing.

I know it is, Henrik is able to win these games. I realize he's a part of the team, but I'm just curious how many games you or any other fans think the Rangers would win without him.

*Bob Richards*

I think it's our defense right now that is the problem. They're scrambling a lot and not getting the puck out of the zone (without taking icings) as well. I think once the D stabilizes it will help our transition game leading to a more effective offense. We need Staal back :\ Don't want to rush him or anything but it's clear we miss his presence a lot more this year than last year.

Hank got discredited a bit last season because of how excellent the D was. Well, it's been more or less pretty crappy this season and He's still holding that fort.

Getting Staal and Dorsett back should hopefully offer a significant push come PO time.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Rangers looked slow, tired but had a great will to succeed. A win is a win.

Can't imagine the team prevailing in a series... let alone 4... just calling it like I see it.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Aside from the Rangers PP opportunity the chances are pretty even, with a 1 or 2 chance advantage for the Rangers. The Rangers spend a lot of that time skating the length of the ice. I just rewatched the whole thing.

I know it is, Henrik is able to win these games. I realize he's a part of the team, but I'm just curious how many games you or any other fans think the Rangers would win without him.

Probably as much as the Devils are winning right now without their best player lol. Well, maybe more we do have Stepan and Nash having great seasons.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

It's too hard to answer. If we didn't have Hank, we'd (most likely) play a different style of hockey. We'd probably also have a better bottom pairing or depth forwards due to the difference in goalie salary which affect how the team plays

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I got nothing against him personally, he just looks.....homeless haha.

In fairness, I thought Torts had a rather hideous tie tonight.

He looks like he's straight out of the 80's, I honestly can't stand the guy at all. I think the team is winning in spite of the fact that he's a horrible coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad