Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 4/13/13

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Probably as much as the Devils are winning right now without their best player lol. Well, maybe more we do have Stepan and Nash having great seasons.

Interesting.

It's too hard to answer. If we didn't have Hank, we'd (most likely) play a different style of hockey. We'd probably also have a better bottom pairing or depth forwards due to the difference in goalie salary which affect how the team plays

I meant if he went down with an injury, not if he never was on the team or left.

And thanks for answering guys, was really curious what fans thought about him/that potentially happening (not that I'd ever want a player to go down, regardless of who he plays for).

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Interesting.

I meant if he went down with an injury, not if he never was on the team or left.

And thanks for answering guys, was really curious what fans thought about him/that potentially happening (not that I'd ever want a player to go down, regardless of who he plays for).

oh.. we'd be screwed! Biron is a good backup, but not starter material

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Thought the team was absolutely atrocious tonight. Seriously, **** MSG and their policy of "thou shall speak no ill of the Rangers". Joe Micheletti saying that the game was evenly played and neither team took it's foot off the throttle? Yeah, no shots for 16+ minutes in the third period of the most important game of the year. The epitome of pedal to the metal!

Rangers were outclassed. If it weren't for one beautiful pass from Brassard, these boards would be in meltdown mode right now.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Thought the team was absolutely atrocious tonight. Seriously, **** MSG and their policy of "thou shall speak no ill of the Rangers". Joe Micheletti saying that the game was evenly played and neither team took it's foot off the throttle? Yeah, no shots for 16+ minutes in the third period of the most important game of the year. The epitome of pedal to the metal!

Rangers were outclassed. If it weren't for one beautiful pass from Brassard, these boards would be in meltdown mode right now.

So you gave us no chance in the shootout? It wasn't nearly as bad as you make it sound. It wasn't like they had 45 shots...heck, they didn't even have 30. And it's not like we were giving up tons of odd man rushes. Give the Isles some credit. They played a solid game. But we found a way to win, and that's what matters most.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
So you gave us no chance in the shootout? It wasn't nearly as bad as you make it sound. It wasn't like they had 45 shots...heck, they didn't even have 30. And it's not like we were giving up tons of odd man rushes. Give the Isles some credit. They played a solid game. But we found a way to win, and that's what matters most.

**** the shootout. I wouldn't have bothered to watch.

Islanders had ten more shots than the Rangers and they also hit, like, four posts. I saw creativity, camaraderie, and fluidity from the Islanders. Rangers weren't creative at all. Communication looked really poor. Neutral zone play was even worse. If the Rangers play the way they did tonight over the course of a seven game series, they will get slaughtered.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We hit two posts also I believe. But yea our passing was pretty awful and the defense was super passive last night - seemingly much more passive than usual even.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Hopefully the Philly game will get Callahan out of his slump. Have more faith in him to turn it around down the stretch and into the playoffs than Richards right now. Though I thought Richards was *okay* tonight.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
**** the shootout. I wouldn't have bothered to watch.

Islanders had ten more shots than the Rangers and they also hit, like, four posts. I saw creativity, camaraderie, and fluidity from the Islanders. Rangers weren't creative at all. Communication looked really poor. Neutral zone play was even worse. If the Rangers play the way they did tonight over the course of a seven game series, they will get slaughtered.

Spot on.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Our defense has been... what's the word... ******? A string of bad defensive games.

@ CAR 7.18 BADNESS W
@ TOR 9.47 BADNESS L
vs TOR 6.22 BADNESS W
@ NYI 5.44 BADNESS W

That much defensive badness and getting 3-1-0 is not too bad at all. Badness sounded cute to start but now it just sounds Pejorative Slured. Anyway, video.rangers.nhl.com under quick picks "Rangers-islanders Highlights -- 4/13" AKA the post game breakdown had some beats going in the background while 4 50+ guys chat away :laugh:

Sounds like a boss battle... :dunno:

Smash

Dec 19, 2006
lol i dont understand why islander fans are clinging to the "we outplayed you" thing, if you played a good game and lost to a team playing and sub par game thats not something to be proud of..

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
lol i dont understand why islander fans are clinging to the "we outplayed you" thing, if you played a good game and lost to a team playing and sub par game thats not something to be proud of..

because they outplayed us.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

They ran into the best goaltender in the world. Every once in awhile, Lundqvist can shut a team down all by himself. It won't happen consistently enough to take the Rangers very far into the playoffs if the team plays the way they did last night in front of him.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Also enjoyed Brassards's post goal jump and show of excitement.

Excitement is good. This team is too serious. Way too serious.

Smash

Dec 19, 2006
They ran into the best goaltender in the world. Every once in awhile, Lundqvist can shut a team down all by himself. It won't happen consistently enough to take the Rangers very far into the playoffs if the team plays the way they did last night in front of him.

Okay..
What I'm saying is its a popular theme on this forum for fans of losing team to gloat about out-playing a team even if they lose. Most of the time its just angry little kids frantically searching for some salvage from the loss to cling to but sometimes people actually are under the impression that its good to lose to a team that didn't play well, I am having trouble understanding the logic behind that.
Because to me tonight was an awesome game, the Rangers played far from their best and beat a team that was playing arguably there best hockey. So I don't understand why any fan of the isles would be happy about that, when they kind of got embarrassed by losing to a Ranger team playing badly, even to there own admission.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

It sure is a thin thin line :laugh:

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Okay..
What I'm saying is its a popular theme on this forum for fans of losing team to gloat about out-playing a team even if they lose. Most of the time its just angry little kids frantically searching for some salvage from the loss to cling to but sometimes people actually are under the impression that its good to lose to a team that didn't play well, I am having trouble understanding the logic behind that.
Because to me tonight was an awesome game, the Rangers played far from their best and beat a team that was playing arguably there best hockey. So I don't understand why any fan of the isles would be happy about that, when they kind of got embarrassed by losing to a Ranger team playing badly, even to there own admission.

Lol those are good points. Bet they wouldn't wanna answer to them. The easier route is to say my team out played yours! Na na na na na.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Okay..

Islanders fans are consoling themselves because the Islanders are a better hockey team than the Rangers. The logic is that if these two teams should meet in the playoffs, the Islanders would win in a seven-game series because the sample size is larger.

The Rangers didn't have 'far from their best', they played a typical Rangers game. Pretty much what I've watched all year. Let's not pretend like they were uncharacteristically slow or dull tonight. The Rangers are, quite simply, a really boring bubble-team.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Islanders fans are consoling themselves because the Islanders are a better hockey team than the Rangers. The logic is that if these two teams should meet in the playoffs, the Islanders would win in a seven-game series because the sample size is longer.

The Rangers didn't have 'far from their best', they played a typical Rangers game. Pretty much what I've watched all year. Let's not pretend like they were uncharacteristically slow or dull tonight. The Rangers are, quite simply, a really boring bubble-team.

So to confirm, the Islanders, who have lost to the Rangers 3 out of 4 times this season, with their one win coming in a SO and sit one point above the Rangers in the standings having played 1 more game; are a much better hockey team, while the Rangers suck?

I love this board...

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
So to confirm, the Islanders, who have lost to the Rangers 3 out of 4 times this season, with their one win coming in a SO and sit one point above the Rangers in the standings having played 1 more game; are a much better hockey team, while the Rangers suck?

I love this board...

False equivalence. Gaborik was a Ranger for the previous three matchups and he torched them. Islanders have found their game the past month or so and are playing amazing hockey. Rangers have been flat since game one.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
False equivalence. Gaborik was a Ranger for the previous three matchups and he torched them. Islanders have found their game the past month or so and are playing amazing hockey. Rangers have been flat since game one.

So they are playing amazing hockey yet can't beat the Rangers regardless of who's in the lineup (although gabby was in for the SO loss) . The Rangers have been flat since day one yet are in a playoff position right now...

Like I said, love this board

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
So they are playing amazing hockey yet can't beat the Rangers regardless of who's in the lineup (although gabby was in for the SO loss) . The Rangers have been flat since day one yet are in a playoff position right now...

Like I said, love this board

Quit being intentionally obtuse. Seriously, not that hard to connect the dots.

The *only* reason the Islanders didn't torch the Rangers tonight was because the Rangers are lucky enough to be blessed with the greatest goaltender in the world. That's it. The Islanders dominated in every other facet of the game. Relying on your goaltender to bail you out every night will inevitably fail. See: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11. And yes, the Rangers are in a 'playoff position'. Barely, and as the 8-seed. That's the definition of a bubble-team.

Teams like the Islanders who don't sit back and hope their goaltender makes acrobatic save after save tend to fare much better.

Stop looking at the team as a fan and try to analyze them objectively. You'll come to the same conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad