Random Car Chat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MikeFolignosHelmet

Fan of the game
Sponsor
Dec 24, 2018
Banner Elk, NC
1000003136.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Finally got around to a state inspection on the 64 Chevelle. It "passed" without reverse lamps, because "This model didn't have reverse indicators in 1964. Wink wink." One of these days I'm going to have to add a neutral safety switch and wire up the reverse lamps. The car was originally a 3 speed on the column, but another owner replaced the transmission with a turbo 350 and a console shift...but they never moved the wiring out of the column.

I used a pretty beefy jump box to get it going and it started up as strong as ever. Drove it for about an hour 15 and enjoyed every second of it. Temp held steady at 190, maybe hit 195 max. Let it sit for a couple hours when I got home and started it again without the jump box, no issues. Left a battery maintainer on it for a few days and still started just as strong as before.

There's gotta be a draw somewhere though. Of course since the car was rewired, nothing is where it's supposed to be, and there's plenty of dead wiring strewn about.

I'm also in the process of moving, and the new house does not have a garage. Luckily, the ladies rental property has a garage, and it's about 5 minutes from the place we are buying. It seems like the plan is to take the car with us and garage it at the rental.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's been a rainy spring/summer here so far, so getting the "spring" detailing and oil change and inspection has been tough to find cooperative weather for. Ended up taking today off work to get it done. During the brake inspection, the key for my lug locks gave way, so now I need replacements. Will take a little longer to get the Shelby back today until they can get that taken care of after the detailing is complete.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good news, they didn't have a tech immediately available to extract the old lug locks, so a manager did it himself, and since he's not a technician, he couldn't "charge labor" for it, so no labor charge for it. Just the charge for new lug locks... only $50.:thumbu:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just about massacred a guy today. After a long day of errands I was enjoying a truck beer in the driveway b4 I had to go in. A guy walks up to my peaceful shady spot and starts his bla bla...then he said Rogers. I stopped him there and said no thankyou. Well he ignored me and tried to carry on. I said bro, no. Again he carried on and i finally said OI get the f*** off my property! He goes "theres no reason to raise your voice sir". So I frantically went to open my door to confront him. He scooted off and didnt bother with the rest of my court 😂

Rule #1 dont interupt my driveway beer
Rule#2 if i say no, i mean no
Rule #3 if you want your ass beat, repeat steps 1 and 2

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: FMichael and TaLoN

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Just about massacred a guy today. After a long day of errands I was enjoying a truck beer in the driveway b4 I had to go in. A guy walks up to my peaceful shady spot and starts his bla bla...then he said Rogers. I stopped him there and said no thankyou. Well he ignored me and tried to carry on. I said bro, no. Again he carried on and i finally said OI get the f*** off my property! He goes "theres no reason to raise your voice sir". So I frantically went to open my door to confront him. He scooted off and didnt bother with the rest of my court 😂

Rule #1 dont interupt my driveway beer
Rule#2 if i say no, i mean no
Rule #3 if you want your ass beat, repeat steps 1 and 2

Might be the old man in me but if you are not friends, family or delivering something I ordered, you got no business on my property. Why people think it is acceptable to go on private property to hawk their product I will never understand. If someone is cold selling me something, my automatic response is always No. I'm guessing the guy was young and has the social skills of a rock? What happened to reading a situation?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Might be the old man in me but if you are not friends, family or delivering something I ordered, you got no business on my property. Why people think it is acceptable to go on private property to hawk their product I will never understand. If someone is cold selling me something, my automatic response is always No. I'm guessing the guy was young and has the social skills of a rock? What happened to reading a situation?
The sentiment is the same. Just means I was pissed off enough to have a second beer ;)

Reactions: FMichael

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
New upper and lower control arms and my fancy rotor , new springs /shocks / tires , drives mint now , almost like a real car.
20240803_111240.jpg
20240803_111240.jpg
20240803_160706.jpg
20240830_100050.jpg

Reactions: HansonBro

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Heard from my father last night that one of my uncles bought a Roadrunner over the weekend. 30 grand, "but it's done"

Battery and alternator quit day 2.

Found holes in the fender for emblems, but that year roadrunner didn't have any badging on the fender. It is suspected that AT LEAST the fender is from a Satellite.

Doesn't have the "meep meep" horn, it's not a purple horn assembly, and isn't on the correct side of the engine bay.

The best part is that this uncle is a twin, and the other twin LOVES Roadrunners, and would've scoped out all the red flags on this Satellite/Roadrunner hybrid immediately. He never consulted his twin before making the purchase, and now he has super buyers remorse after learning he may have been screwed.

To add insult to injury, he's owned an old GTO for at least the last 30 years. I remember it rotting away under a shredded tarp in his backyard when i was a kid. He finally sent that old goat to be patched up and restored about 3 years ago. He's given the shop 45k so far, and only the body work is confirmed to be done. He hasn't laid eyes on the car in over a year, can't get an answer on anything, and the guy doing the bulk of the work says that he was injured and has had to slow down on projects.

• Wow

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Heard from my father last night that one of my uncles bought a Roadrunner over the weekend. 30 grand, "but it's done"

Battery and alternator quit day 2.

Found holes in the fender for emblems, but that year roadrunner didn't have any badging on the fender. It is suspected that AT LEAST the fender is from a Satellite.

Doesn't have the "meep meep" horn, it's not a purple horn assembly, and isn't on the correct side of the engine bay.

The best part is that this uncle is a twin, and the other twin LOVES Roadrunners, and would've scoped out all the red flags on this Satellite/Roadrunner hybrid immediately. He never consulted his twin before making the purchase, and now he has super buyers remorse after learning he may have been screwed.

To add insult to injury, he's owned an old GTO for at least the last 30 years. I remember it rotting away under a shredded tarp in his backyard when i was a kid. He finally sent that old goat to be patched up and restored about 3 years ago. He's given the shop 45k so far, and only the body work is confirmed to be done. He hasn't laid eyes on the car in over a year, can't get an answer on anything, and the guy doing the bulk of the work says that he was injured and has had to slow down on projects.
Hate hearing these stories.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hate hearing these stories.
Yeah it sucks. From what I hear he's still happy with the car, but I think he's embarrassed. He does own a nice Harley he could probably sell for a good chunk. If he sold the bike, and the SateRunner, he could probably get right up near to his money back on the car. He doesn't really ride the Harley any more so it would suck, but it isn't the end of the world.

I think he should ditch the car and the bike, and go full throttle on getting the GTO finished up.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yeah it sucks. From what I hear he's still happy with the car, but I think he's embarrassed. He does own a nice Harley he could probably sell for a good chunk. If he sold the bike, and the SateRunner, he could probably get right up near to his money back on the car. He doesn't really ride the Harley any more so it would suck, but it isn't the end of the world.

I think he should ditch the car and the bike, and go full throttle on getting the GTO finished up.
45k on the body? F me..what year GTO? Get that car out of that shop.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
45k on the body? F me..what year GTO? Get that car out of that shop.
Earlier. 66 perhaps. The thing was Swiss cheese. While I’m pretty sure just the body is buttoned up, that 45k might be partially an advance on a bunch more shit that just hasn’t been done.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Some small news. Have another stuck caliper (intermediate). Think it was two years ago i replaced one of them and the pads(no rotor). Driver rear. So now im thinking i should just replace the other 3 calipers, do all 4 rotors and the rest of the pads.

So heres the tricky bit...i still have the other set of new pads for the rear passenger. In those 2 years ive only driven like 5000 kms.

My health has not been good the last 6 months. I have the new hot tub arriving tomorrow and need to build a privacy fence around the new patio, so thats my priority. After that I need to frame in my backyard awning.

So bla bla i don't think ill have the time or energy to do everything. So question is...is that a shit brake job list to give to my shop?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Some small news. Have another stuck caliper (intermediate). Think it was two years ago i replaced one of them and the pads(no rotor). Driver rear. So now im thinking i should just replace the other 3 calipers, do all 4 rotors and the rest of the pads.

So heres the tricky bit...i still have the other set of new pads for the rear passenger. In those 2 years ive only driven like 5000 kms.

My health has not been good the last 6 months. I have the new hot tub arriving tomorrow and need to build a privacy fence around the new patio, so thats my priority. After that I need to frame in my backyard awning.

So bla bla i don't think ill have the time or energy to do everything. So question is...is that a shit brake job list to give to my shop?
Not at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad