OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco likes to fish

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
a reasonably big deal has been made of the pirates commitment to more biometric monitoring of their players, so perhaps they see something they dont like in kangs readings? hard to argue the FO hasnt earned the benefit of the doubt and that kangs workload went up dramatically in the past month.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The reason Hurdle is giving for benching Kang is that he doesn't hit lefties as well.

The 3 games Kang sat out this week were against lefties.

I haven't heard anyone from the Pirates say Kang is getting benched because hes tired.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think that all of the following could simultaneously be true: the Pirates have advanced metrics telling them to rest Kang more, Hurdle is not a great tactical manager and will cost the Pirates in terms of not wielding their best lineup, and the Pirates are a well-run organization (top 1/4th in baseball) who should generally be trusted.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Wow, people have alot of complaits about a team and manager who have the 3rd best record in the majors. Just think back to 2010, be grateful and just enjoy the season

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
The reason Hurdle is giving for benching Kang is that he doesn't hit lefties as well.

The 3 games Kang sat out this week were against lefties.

I haven't heard anyone from the Pirates say Kang is getting benched because hes tired.

personally, i think whatever coaches/managers say should be taken with a healthy grain of salt and im very dubious that what hurdle says and the full truth are one and the same.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Hurdle's decisions regarding what players he uses in certain situations have always and will always bother me. Even so, I have always stated how Hurdle's command over the clubhouse and his leadership qualities more than make up for it.

Just because I have an issue with certain decisions does not mean that I think the organization doesn't know what it is doing. At the same time, just because the Bucs are the 3rd best team in the league doesn't mean that they are perfect. There is always room for improvment and success doesn't mean the Pirates are above criticism.

Kang has a .744 ops in his last 15? So what? McCutchen had a full month hitting under .200. Does anybody think they should have started playing Rodriguez 3 days a week in April so Cutch could get some rest? Does anybody think Rodriguez should play 4 games this week because Marte is cold? If you benched a good hitter every time they have a cold 2 weeks you'd be constantly giving starts to the Ishikawa, Morse, Rodriguez, and Mercer's of this world instead of the Cutch, Marte, Kang and Polanco's. You tell me if you believe that sounds like an intelligent strategy.

srflem

Aug 24, 2012
I'm thinking about going to the St. Louis series this weekend. None of my friends are able to go or don't have the funds to go so I will be going by myself.

Trying to talk myself into going, think I will end up doing it. Have any of you guys been to St. Louis?

Think it would be the perfect time to go, don't want to pass it up.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'm thinking about going to the St. Louis series this weekend. None of my friends are able to go or don't have the funds to go so I will be going by myself.

Trying to talk myself into going, think I will end up doing it. Have any of you guys been to St. Louis?

Think it would be the perfect time to go, don't want to pass it up.

If you're planning on going alone, I'd suggest getting a cheap ticket in the boonies and just standing out on the deck in left field in front of the rotunda. Some real good guys that love talking baseball there you could stand with if you want people to hang out with.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
diaz got called up. looks like a future good defensive cather who will hit 250. 10 homers. can he play first? for now, because cervelli and stewart are the backstops.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
good framing finishing school for diaz, who in my understanding is considered a premier defender

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A third catcher is basically mandatory for September call-ups. Diaz won't get much action, but simply being there will be good experience, and he will get a start or two.

Diaz should be ready to take over for Stewart next year.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Diaz is a guy i'm looking forward to see.

You can tell NH loves him by the way he answers questions about him.

Once the Cards clinch the division and the Pirates are locked into the wildcard i think you will see Diaz get some starts the last week of the season.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Wow Hurdle giving Mercer the night off! I'm sure he'll be chomping at the bit waiting to bring him in late as a defensive replacement.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't quite want to go as far as to say that tonight is a must-win game, but it pretty much is.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Why do they have such a tough time with these guys? I mean do the Brewers look at the schedule and just bring it was much as they can? it's baffling

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I guess the dumb positive way to look at this is Cole getting his ass handed to him by the Brewers will embarrass him into dominating the WC game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad