OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Beyond a desire to showcase Ortiz in a potential trade, I think he is one of the 5 best options right now. Falter is coming down to Earth in a hurry.

I liked him a ton in 2022 and despite the weird velo drop the stuff still looks quite good. Reliever guys who may-be-starters are frequently moved as a piece in large deals (look at the Pads/Yankees Soto trade as a recent example). He may be interesting to a team like the Marlins or White Sox.
Agree on both counts. I almost can't believe I am saying this, but Falter has had such a solid body of work this season that I am inclined to write off the three bad June starts, with one against the Dodgers and one in this tiny ballpark. That said, Ortiz has earned his way into further looks.

I think we might go with some kind of 6-man rotation, but even then, Perez coming back would mean only one spot still. The other wrinkle is that Ortiz has shown the ability to be both the bulk guy and a very good 1-2 IP guy as needed, so he's obviously become a very important piece of the pitching staff, no matter how he's being used.

My guess would be that some of the 6-man would be Skenes/Jones/ general effectiveness oriented, and some could be as a way to showcase for a trade, though quality pitching is hard enough to find that I might be more inclined to hoard it in his case. That said, if Ortiz can be a package that lands you the bat, it's hard to turn your nose up at that. Ortiz has also been quality, but nothing really overwhelming in terms of the K stuff until today, and without disrespecting him, a good chunk of the Reds lineup gives our worst guys a run for their money.

For me, at the end of the day, it's really hard to anticipate what a team would want in a trade, either from us or from anybody. This feels part wishful thinking, but I think the White Sox and Angels particularly are susceptible to quantity type or just not that overwhelming type of packages. Their farm systems are in the bottom 10, as is Miami's, though the White Sox at least have a couple of guys that stand out.

Miami seems most likely to do a full-blown rebuild, given that their system is bad and they don't have any real core players to build around. I only don't include them with the other two because the GM comes from the Rays tree which obviously has a better reputation than the other two orgs. The Arraez trade doesn't look amazing, but I think that's a reflection of Arraez more than the trade.

Their division is way harder and despite the good young pitching that's all hurt, they have to be kind of aggressive. Jazz is a good player, but there are rumors that he isn't well liked, and he's streaky at times and maybe in the end just a good 3-win type player who can adequately play CF for his prime years. I still think he'd be a great target, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up Johnson plus multiple pitchers for him. It's hard to know what they'll do, but I suspect he will be heavily rumored to be traded and they'll either just do it along with everybody else they can, or keep him and wait til the winter meetings.

With Robert, I could see the White Sox doing what they always seem to do and stop short of a full-on rebuild. Crochet has the look of a staff ace to build around, and they aren't afraid to make signings, but they are kind of stuck in the middle, even as they are in a weaker division (at least on paper). Robert is a difference maker but with his health, it seems like a no brainer to take multiple players and try to reload. I would certainly take the risk of Johnson and multiple pitchers here, and it seems to me that they could use a pitching injection to go along with Crochet and a rising top pitching prospect they have. Maybe here is where a guy like Bae or Peguero makes sense in a package.

The Angels are more of a mess than both of the others for obvious reasons. Ohtani is gone now, and they have no farm system of which to speak. They don't seem intent on rebuilding, as that'd mean trading Trout. In their case, Ward seems like someone you should try to cash out on for what you can. I don't watch a lot of him, so I am just going on some numbers and what I have seen people point out. He's 30, plays corner OF but not spectacularly, and is nothing too special vs RHP, even though his offensive profile in general is multi-dimensional and clearly a consistent everyday player.

That said, Ward seems more like the kind of guy who can be acquired for 2-3 solid prospects, but nobody "blue chip", to use an old phrase. Two more years of control and I think you could really be talking about a guy like Ashcraft or Harrington at the front, maybe along with a Bae or Peguero and some younger minors talent if they want it. I could even see one of those two #3-#4 type starters, Priester, an MLB ready IF, and then a younger prospect or complementary player being enough here. Though I will also say that I don't really think Ward is a guy we'll target, but we have no idea because we've never seen this group try to buy.

So that's a long-winded treatment. I think Ortiz could be a guy that's in the mix, but I find all of these teams to be head scratchers. The first question is whether we'd unload the chamber to try and get Robert, since that's what it would take, and even then, we probably aren't topping what some other teams can do and would do, since a healthy Robert is a clear and premium impact player.

Ward seems more viable as a lower cost move and is on a team that should try to shake it up and reload somehow. He would raise the floor of our offensive production, but it's not an answer to CF. Chisholm seems somewhere in the middle, but a key feature with him is that he would be an answer at everyday CF. I think we should make a run at Robert, but I am also kind of talking myself into Chisholm as well, since he has a slightly less worrying injury history.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jones being skipped this turn through the rotation. Guessing it won’t be the last time.

I was expecting him to eventually just be sent on a phantom IL stint to Bradenton for 4-6 weeks later in the year, but skipping him in the rotation is a better alternative.

Makes Ortiz's performance as a starter/long man even more important.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Some interesting answers in here about trade candidates from Hiles. He says a front office source on another team suggested that a package of Suwinski and a prospect would get the job done. This is a little surprising but it seemed to be based on Suwinski having proven more at the MLB level. From what I am seeing, their control is the same.

It sounded like Bleday might not have as much value as some think, but Hiles also points out that the Pirates are not likely to move on from Suwinski or Davis. As frustrating as that is, I think it probably makes good sense not to overreact about either right now, especially in terms of selling low on them. All that said, Bleday is an interesting guy to look at, because besides a guy who was a college draftee a little too long ago, it's hard to come up with a reason why he wouldn't be an above average OF for the next few years. He's cost controlled, so he would be worth "buying high" on IMO, maybe to the tune of one of the pitching prospects and then hit the ground running type guys like Bae or Peguero, along with maybe an untapped potential low minors guy.

Unless the A's think Bleday is a candidate to flirt with 4 WAR every year, then he makes good sense to sell high on, as a corner OF who does multiple things well but doesn't stand out in any one category is the kind of guy who is a half season away from really souring his value.

They also mention Robert but unsurprisingly dismiss him, noting the reported as of 2 top-100 prospects and 2 MLB players. Frankly I think that ask is kind of insane for a guy who is injured so often, and I highly doubt the stacked MLB teams who could use him will be looking to make that deal. They are both AL teams, but I see Baltimore and Seattle as the best suitors for Robert: he's a talent that neither is getting in free agency, and both have the system depth to make a viable offer.

Some see Ashcraft as pushing into the top-100 right now, so if a package was Johnson, Chandler/Ashcraft as the two prospects, then it depends heavily on the other two players. This is the kind of place where I wouldn't mind sending Suwinski if other MLB teams indeed value him like that, and if the other piece is a pitching like Priester or Ortiz, or a ready guy like Bae or Peguero, then again, hard to see downside there for the Pirates, even if that collection of names really seems like wishcasting. But if Chicago is deadset on immediate MLBers... that's a window to sneak in. Still, even if this is wishcasting, I do believe the Pirates will be wincing at the price, even for this type of talent. I think they are totally out and probably won't be in the mix for any of these kinds of guys.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Listening to 93.7 TheFan today on Pirates trade talks. Not sure if they were practicing sensationalism radio, just to get interest or not.

Their take (Starkey and Ziese) was Vlad Guerrero Jr. Which I would love. But their take was, you give whatever it takes. They said they would do any 3 of the Pirates top 5 prospects, plus two more lesser prospects.

Maybe I am out of touch, but isn't that crazy for basically a rental+? (1 yr of control after this season).

I would love to see that bat in the lineup, but not at that cost.

What do you you guys think of that? Cost of acquisition be damned? Go for it, cause we have an outside chance of being a contender?

Not sure one bat would get the job done in terms of being a WS contender.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Listening to 93.7 TheFan today on Pirates trade talks. Not sure if they were practicing sensationalism radio, just to get interest or not.

Their take (Starkey and Ziese) was Vlad Guerrero Jr. Which I would love. But their take was, you give whatever it takes. They said they would do any 3 of the Pirates top 5 prospects, plus two more lesser prospects.

Maybe I am out of touch, but isn't that crazy for basically a rental+? (1 yr of control after this season).

What do you you guys think of that? Cost of acquisition be damned? Go for it, cause we have an outside chance of being a contender?

All options should be on the table. There isn’t a skenes type prospect in the system.

With that said I would only deal top prospects for hitters with control. I would deal B level guys for a rental. Similar to what we did when we traded Aaron Baker for Derek Lee.

This window lasts for the 5-6 years they have Skenes. They should be willing to mortgage their future for that window in the hopes that they win a championship. Then you have a top end pitcher you can deal to restock the farm system. The problem has always been hanging on to prospects for way too long instead of viewing them as currency for today.

Also I don’t get the fascination with Robert. The Sox want a Soto type deal for him but he’s not Soto. And his value is deeply based on potential. Not on production. The last thing we should do is trade top prospects for a guy hitting 200, only to decline his option in two years because he sucks

Reactions: td_ice

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I think Vladdy is a more sensational move but his reputation has exceeded his actual abilities. Plus we need OF much more especially if Reynolds is moving to 1B in 2025.

I like Ward or Bleday or going YOLO for Robert much more. I also feel like De La Cruz from the Marlins may have another gear we should try to unlock.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't think Vlad Jr. is worth going completely crazy to get. He's not valuable defensively and right now he looks like a pretty strong contact and decent power guy.

I also don't really think that most players being discussed are going to get an enormous haul in a trade. It is a seller's market, but Juan Soto is the kind of player that you never see on the trade market. He's going to get a freakish deal this winter.

The Pirates don't quite have one of the top farm systems anymore by most metrics, but it's pretty comfortably in the top-10 or 12 range. Say what you want about individual prospects not looking great at some points, but it's not going to take 3 out of the top-5 prospects and then more on top of that in order to trade for anybody on the market, including Robert. We always hear this bluster when there are rumored guys on the market and then the returns are unimpressive when the deals actually happen.

It's not just the Pirates, either, and if you want to press the envelope, even the Soto deal had some questions about it. The marquee player in the deal still hasn't debuted yet (James Wood), and the way it's worked out is that he has continued improving and is among the best handful of prospects in the league. Abrams had questions about his game as did Gore, but both now look like pieces to build around. It could have happened differently: Wood could have more questions about him, and Gore and/or Abrams could look like players who'd fizzle out. It's definitely a major haul now but I think at the time there were real questions about Gore in particular, and Abrams didn't look like he could hit enough to be a viable player.

With regard to Vlad Jr in particular, my inclination is to say that this is something the Fan reporters are making up to drive engagement. Until I see something from Mackey/Hiles/Stumpf or a national writer, I just think it's speculation and name brand value talking. Vlad's really good and might find that ceiling again, especially in his walk year because it's his only chance to get a huge contract, but in terms of talking about a trade, you have to use his position and dampened production as ways to reign in what he could command in a trade.

If the Jays sell, I think you could get Vlad for one of the main pitching prospects, another mid-tier guy, and lower minors players. But the Jays are a complex situation because they are built to win now and the GM could be on the hot seat. It's possible they could blow things up but I think it's equally viable that that won't happen until a new regime is in place.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sounds like Robert Murray basically just dismissed the Poni "rumor" of Vlad Jr out of hand, which doesn't surprise me.

However, Murray was pretty firm in saying that he thinks the Pirates will end up adding to the offense, and he mentioned Ward specifically as someone who makes a lot of sense. I think there's a clear path there: if the main contenders are set on a big impact bat like Robert (who hit another HR today), then there's less competition for a solid upgrade like Ward.

Competent veteran who addresses a massive need here, but might not be a guy who really moves any needles for teams like the Orioles, Phillies, Dodgers etc. The one exception would be the Mariners, who also have an atrocious offense, but he's a guy who doesn't uproot the top several prospects and addresses the offense for this year and beyond.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like Robert Murray basically just dismissed the Poni "rumor" of Vlad Jr out of hand, which doesn't surprise me.

However, Murray was pretty firm in saying that he thinks the Pirates will end up adding to the offense, and he mentioned Ward specifically as someone who makes a lot of sense. I think there's a clear path there: if the main contenders are set on a big impact bat like Robert (who hit another HR today), then there's less competition for a solid upgrade like Ward.

Competent veteran who addresses a massive need here, but might not be a guy who really moves any needles for teams like the Orioles, Phillies, Dodgers etc. The one exception would be the Mariners, who also have an atrocious offense, but he's a guy who doesn't uproot the top several prospects and addresses the offense for this year and beyond.
Poni was always nice in person (unlike douche canoe Chris Mueller). But he’s never right on Twitter. It has to be on purpose.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
watching Reds and Cards. India up, and he's 2 for 2.

iirc in our series, he got on base 11 consecutive times vs. us.

EDIT: was wondering if the De La Cruz triple against us, in which it should have been an easy out for Taylor, and just clanged off his glove, was ever changed. That scoring of a hit was laughable.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
watching Reds and Cards. India up, and he's 2 for 2.

iirc in our series, he got on base 11 consecutive times vs. us.

EDIT: was wondering if the De La Cruz triple against us, in which it should have been an easy out for Taylor, and just clanged off his glove, was ever changed. That scoring of a hit was laughable.
It was ruled an error during the game eventually.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Roansy Contreras allowed one run on four hits and two walks with two strikeouts during the Angels’ 5-2 home victory against the Oakland Athletics.

Who couldn't see this coming?????? Why they couldn't stash him and bring in a different pitching coach perspective. Truly disgusting........and BC couldn't even do a trade that gave them value if he rebounded.

FIRE EVERYONE

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

New Callis mock has a clearer set of names to the Pirates. It sounds like there's a real chance we could be after the top prep bat in Konnor Griffin, but Callis has him going to the White Sox here.

He notes that we could be after any player who falls, but in the event that we don't, has us considering a slight underslot deal with Tibbs or Moore, and says "don't rule out Kurtz". So I guess this doesn't narrow it all that much.

Griffin would be interesting because it will be immediately unpopular, but I think a truism worth respecting is that you can't draft for need in this draft. So if we really think Griffin can develop into a 30/30 star, you can't pass that up, especially at #9.

Tibbs on a deal would be a great outcome because it should allow us at least one good overslot option with our next pick. Kurtz really seems like an ideal skillset for us, and I think he has less buzz because of how Torkelson and Vaughn have not really done much to assert themselves in MLB.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Yes, it's clear we could really upgrade at 2 OF spots.

The reports that the team doesn't like Reynolds' defense and may move him to 1B in 2025 means we have zero outfielders going forward.

Yes, Olivares and Joe are good when they are going well. But neither are definite starters. Bae has potential and I'd like to see him get a month-long look in center before the deadline, but he is not at the level where he should be prioritized if something better comes along. Suwinski is a mess, and while he may find it he can always be bumped for someone else. Davis totally failed at playing RF - which deserves its own demerit as it's kinda sad - but point being he can't be in our outfield plans.

I still think Davis doesn't have a fit here long-term but if he can't get ~75-100 prospect type of value in a trade let's hold him I guess. I would move any prospect(s) if the value is right. Ward makes a ton of sense as does Bleday. I like Rooker a lot but if he's purely a DH then that should scuttle his value.

I think the buyer's market is incredibly crowded because there are so few truly bad teams. The Pirates are in a spot like 10 other teams where if they tread water at .500 or better they could buy but if they peter out in the next month they become definite sellers. That would unclog the market. I think for now we bring up Bart and Bae immediately, plug them into the starting 9 and see what the lineup looks like.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's going to be an interesting trade deadline. As so many teams in the running for the WC spots.

Our strength is obviously our starting pitching. But with our two studs going to be on "innings watch" that strength becomes lessened, as they will miss some starts. Which puts even greater emphasis on the bats to win some games that we don't have a quality start. And it really doesn't look like that help is going to be from internal sources.

Would be great if Ortiz can fill in to be a solid starter. We are going to need him going forward. Perez too.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
And it really doesn't look like that help is going to be from internal help.
The fact that we're writing off Hayes after the 2nd half he had last year is...I don't even disagree with it. But it's just sad. What are we even doing with him?

McMahon from Colorado is more expensive than Hayes moving forward. He's also the better hitter right now and probably going forward. I'd probably swap them 1 for 1 if given the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad