WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Raise it!

rowdysteal.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Kind of an ugly game in some respects but the offense didn't waste opportunities to punish Greene and Keller gritted out a solid start.

Not really sure what's up with tomorrow's starter, but I assume it might be Perez since Mlod and Fleming were used tonight, unless we just have Ortiz be a regular starter.

Reactions: td_ice

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Reactions: Rave7215

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Kind of an ugly game in some respects but the offense didn't waste opportunities to punish Greene and Keller gritted out a solid start.

Not really sure what's up with tomorrow's starter, but I assume it might be Perez since Mlod and Fleming were used tonight, unless we just have Ortiz be a regular starter.
Yeah, GMBC said Perez could be starting soon. If not, he's likely had a setback/still not ready.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Tellez has all the speed of a beer league catcher.
Haha.....I tell ya what, he was booking when he scored in the 1st inning from 2B, on a scorched single to center. That ball got out to the OF quick, and Tellez beat the throw fairly handily. He really showed great speed there.

And the fact he was even on the 2B was a headsy play by him. Reading Hunter Greene not paying attention to him, and easily stole second. He made good contact today as well. A very good night for the big man.

EDIT: Also a great play in the bottom off the 1st to keep the Reds off the board, and keep our momentum and a 3-0 lead, was the play Kelller made. Getting to that weakly hit ball and scooping it with his glove and tossing straight from his glove to Grandal to just get the runner at the plate. Tremendous play by Keller.

Same inning, great play was a nifty rangey get by Gonzales to get an out. That 1st inning was such a high event inning, and really set a good tone for the game.

That shot by Reynolds, good lord. He even had to stop and admire it, as he stood at the plate a bit and just watched how far it was going to go.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Looks like Ortiz is getting the start tomorrow. I guess maybe we'll just go with it situationally, as there's an off day on Thursday. For example, if you need to use Mlodzinski, you can maybe use him to close out one or two outs in an inning, etc.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Looks like Ortiz is getting the start tomorrow. I guess maybe we'll just go with it situationally, as there's an off day on Thursday. For example, if you need to use Mlodzinski, you can maybe use him to close out one or two outs in an inning, etc.

I don't know why Martin Perez isn't back. This seems like the time.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Would you be surprised if it's because the staff don't recognize it as an issue?

"Manager Derek Shelton was noncommittal about when Perez will start again for the Pirates but stressed the significance of his looming return.

“Getting him back on the mound is going to be important for us,” Shelton said."

w=360

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I hadn't checked until just now but he pitched 6/22 which seems to line him up for Friday with some extra rest.

On a semi-related note, it's kind of funny that one of the reasons given to send Skenes to AAA was that he needed to pitch on a 5-day schedule, but now for a few reasons we are using every opportunity to get him additional rest.

I've softened somewhat on having him start in AAA. While I think it's obvious that he would have been one of the best pitchers for us right away, it's kind of hard to argue with the results, particularly him just getting some consistent professional experience and making sure the splinker was fully ready to go in a competitive context. But it's now kind of amusing that we'll ride these off days as much as we can, in addition to him looking like a shoe-in to gain the extra year of control.

That said, we might be able to do it once more with the off day after the Braves series and then it will be wall to wall games until the all star break. We'll see how it unfolds, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if we still try to do a bullpen game at some point or even shuffle in a guy like Ashcraft for a spot start. The big question is whether and to what extent we'll use the ASB to do this, which could be an especially egregious way to "manage Jones' innings" in particular, i.e. get him off the roster for enough time that we gain a year of control back on him.

We did this to Roansy, so it wouldn't surprise me to see us roll it out again. One way to do it would be to option him after a start in the Mets series and then grab the spot starter for one of the final games against a weak White Sox opponent. I hope we don't do it, and I guess in Jones' case it will be hard, because even if you buy a week now, you still need two more at some other point, and it will be hard to drum up that excuse.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Very good game. A lot of hard hit balls that just didn't fall as well.

From a trade value perspective, Ortiz's performance surely raised a few eyebrows around the league.
He isn't throwing 100 anymore, but it's a heavy 95-97 with a great slider when it's on. There is something there with him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That was a pretty strong case made by Ortiz to be given another turn in the rotation. Not sure how you could ask for more from him.

The biggest improvement has been that he has really learned to reign in the stuff. 0 walks in 6 innings today was an exclamation point on that, but it's pretty much been the case all year. I don't think anything should be blown out of proportion, but it's worth remembering how dominant he looked in his first few starts when he was initially promoted, as well as the fact that he's super young.

The Cardinals in PNC Park aren't really that imposing of a lineup to run him back out there again, but we'll see. With Perez coming back, we could try a 6-man rotation to get through the stretch of games with no off days as a way to keep Jones and Skenes' arms fresh and innings down, but we could also do something like phantom IL Falter. A lot depends on the starters being able to consistently go 5-6 innings at minimum, since if someone flames out after 2-3, you basically have to turn to Ortiz.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Quick draft notes, based on listening to the new Callis/Mayo Pipeline podcast:

They both seem to be in agreement that things are more and more open at pick #1. Whereas the sentiment earlier was that it was 80-90% likely that Condon or Bazzana would be the pick, they now have it closer to 60% or so, or even a touch less in Callis' case.

They seem to see the other competitors as Wetherholt and Caglianone, with some serious emphasis on the latter. My impression is that Caglianone's power might be a standout tool in a context where there really isn't an overwhelming other tool. Wetherholt is the only premium position and he spent some of the year injured. Condon has the power, but the LH college power is truly rare, and Caglianone probably has what it takes to find another gear when he stops pitching.

That said, this is qualified by the fact that there's really no new information because all relevant players are done playing, and the rumors going around are coming from other teams than Cleveland. They also seemed to think Burns is a small option, with Smith less so and Griffin being the only prep option for them, but both agreed in that top-4.

For the Pirates perspective, barring some surprise, I think that the ideal scenario for college bats sliding would be for the Guardians to take someone besides Condon/Bazzana and Burns/Smith. This is predicated on Burns/Smith being a slam dunk to Colorado at #3, which then basically sees Oakland wanting a college bat and having Bazzana or Condon fall into their lap.

No Pirates talk on this one, but the perception of the top pick seemed worth relaying. My instinct has been to see Caglianone as a little bit more boom or bust due to him chasing, but seems like there's upside in addition to him not whiffing on balls where he can do damage, which is the worse sign. I doubt he would get to 9. I really think our best case scenario still basically lies with Oakland not going Kurtz and him being our pick.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
That was a pretty strong case made by Ortiz to be given another turn in the rotation. Not sure how you could ask for more from him.

The biggest improvement has been that he has really learned to reign in the stuff. 0 walks in 6 innings today was an exclamation point on that, but it's pretty much been the case all year. I don't think anything should be blown out of proportion, but it's worth remembering how dominant he looked in his first few starts when he was initially promoted, as well as the fact that he's super young.

The Cardinals in PNC Park aren't really that imposing of a lineup to run him back out there again, but we'll see. With Perez coming back, we could try a 6-man rotation to get through the stretch of games with no off days as a way to keep Jones and Skenes' arms fresh and innings down, but we could also do something like phantom IL Falter. A lot depends on the starters being able to consistently go 5-6 innings at minimum, since if someone flames out after 2-3, you basically have to turn to Ortiz.

Beyond a desire to showcase Ortiz in a potential trade, I think he is one of the 5 best options right now. Falter is coming down to Earth in a hurry.

I liked him a ton in 2022 and despite the weird velo drop the stuff still looks quite good. Reliever guys who may-be-starters are frequently moved as a piece in large deals (look at the Pads/Yankees Soto trade as a recent example). He may be interesting to a team like the Marlins or White Sox.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad