OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Independence Day (1996) — Jeff Goldblum Movie Club

Skenes is love, Skenes is life, Skenes is eternal, Skenes does not forgive.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Team is hopeless. Worst hitting team in major league baseball. Near best starting pitching in major league baseball and middling relief pitching. This is the result.

Nutting and co could care less about results.

If this team was ran by anyone who cares they'd be 15 games over .500.

If they had even a competent manager, they'd likely be a few games over .500.

Everything but raw talent in 3 starting pitchers is as bad as it gets organizationally.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's unbelievably frustrating. We basically lucked into a franchise cornerstone but in other ways are still a team that is not at all out of the rebuilding growing pains.

Ben Cherington is a failure who cannot build a winner at the MLB level. The best hope for the future would be Nutting realizing this and making a pivot, even if any such thing would be rightly regarded with skepticism. Unfortunately, I don't think we're anywhere within that stratosphere, but it's at least a good sign that Nutting is openly speaking about the offense.

I'm sympathetic to some of the Shelton complaints as they come up. I think he makes strange decisions at times, but they also cut both ways (I didn't like sending Jones out for the 7th inning yesterday but I was wrong). It's kind of weird that Cutch is a permanent DH and still needs an off day like this. But there's really no amount of questioning Shelton that can change the nature of the roster he has to work with, which plainly and obviously has multiple guys who aren't MLB quality on it.

I don't think we have the worst offense in baseball, but it's a moot point who actually does. Chicago, LAA, and Detroit are probably worse, but two of those teams are already eliminated from any sort of contention. Our offense is putrid. In the grand scheme of things, one game doesn't matter that much, but as anyone with a pulse knows, we have had way too many of these kinds of winnable games go up in smoke, and the culprit almost every time is the offense.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So who was the last hitting prospect that the Pirates drafted and developed into a good/great hitter??? Think about all of the resources, coaching and draft capital spent with said results.

They could have picked any high school manager and put him in charge the last 10 years and I would bet they would they have better results.

Reactions: metalan2

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So who was the last hitting prospect that the Pirates drafted and developed into a good/great hitter??? Think about all of the resources, coaching and draft capital spent with said results.

They could have picked any high school manager and put him in charge the last 10 years and I would bet they would they have better results.

Nick Gonzales, who's literally on the team right now.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Hasn't Nick Gonzales lead the entire NL in RBIs since he was called up?

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
It's unbelievably frustrating. We basically lucked into a franchise cornerstone but in other ways are still a team that is not at all out of the rebuilding growing pains.

Ben Cherington is a failure who cannot build a winner at the MLB level. The best hope for the future would be Nutting realizing this and making a pivot, even if any such thing would be rightly regarded with skepticism. Unfortunately, I don't think we're anywhere within that stratosphere, but it's at least a good sign that Nutting is openly speaking about the offense.

I'm sympathetic to some of the Shelton complaints as they come up. I think he makes strange decisions at times, but they also cut both ways (I didn't like sending Jones out for the 7th inning yesterday but I was wrong). It's kind of weird that Cutch is a permanent DH and still needs an off day like this. But there's really no amount of questioning Shelton that can change the nature of the roster he has to work with, which plainly and obviously has multiple guys who aren't MLB quality on it.

I don't think we have the worst offense in baseball, but it's a moot point who actually does. Chicago, LAA, and Detroit are probably worse, but two of those teams are already eliminated from any sort of contention. Our offense is putrid. In the grand scheme of things, one game doesn't matter that much, but as anyone with a pulse knows, we have had way too many of these kinds of winnable games go up in smoke, and the culprit almost every time is the offense.

It is crazy that a team that still has Trout (albeit hurt atm) can even been considered to have a bad offense. Angels really sold something for the juju of the Rally Monkey considering they will have made the playoffs once(?) in the careers of Trout and Ohtani. I mean if we are talking about the Pirate's FO being incompetent, the Angels are also incompetent in a different yet disgusting way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Josh Bell would be my answer.

Marte. He wasn't drafted but he was signed and developed by the Pirates.

Polanco....maybe. Around the same time as Marte but broke himself.

Austin Meadows had a couple good seasons.....

Gonzalez hasn't had multiple seasons of MLB good/great hitting. He looked great when he came up but is now like 1 for 17.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Josh Bell would be my answer.

Marte. He wasn't drafted but he was signed and developed by the Pirates.

Polanco....maybe. Around the same time as Marte but broke himself.

Austin Meadows had a couple good seasons.....

Gonzalez hasn't had multiple seasons of MLB good/great hitting. He looked great when he came up but is now like 1 for 17.

I think Marte is the best answer here.

Cruz is close, but he needs to be a stud and not just a whiffs & bombs guy. Gonzales had all of his inexplicable whiffs crop back up so reserving judgment.

Davis and Hayes have killed this team offensively the entire year. Hayes's regression sucks, but it is mind-boggling that Davis is hitting-pitcher bad at the dish. He shows no causes for hope in his ABs aside from his 430 foot shots that are 40 feet to the left of the left field foul pole

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It is crazy that a team that still has Trout (albeit hurt atm) can even been considered to have a bad offense. Angels really sold something for the juju of the Rally Monkey considering they will have made the playoffs once(?) in the careers of Trout and Ohtani. I mean if we are talking about the Pirate's FO being incompetent, the Angels are also incompetent in a different yet disgusting way.
I think the Pirates FO is really bad, but I don't think it's even in the same stratosphere as how bad the Angels and Rockies in particular are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad