OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another bullpen game? Pathetic. But I guess we don't need any more SP.

The offense is going to have to score 7-8 runs at least in a BP game where Josh Fleming will absorb 3 innings. I highly doubt Ortiz is available for more than 1 inning.

Isn't Ortiz going to effectively be the "SP" in this game?

They currently have 4 starters between Keller, Jones, Skenes and Falter, and the 5th "rotation" guy is Ortiz as the bulk guy.

Reactions: td_ice

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Davis' career is basically not gonna happen here, not with Delay back. Grandal filling in enough behind the plate. And Rodriguez coming back next year.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
When’s Bart due back? Can delay force grandal tf off this team?
After his first ten days, they said he was going to need another week off

Pretty sure that would have been this last friday

Since we aren't hearing much, i think it's in "setback" territory, which sucks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good game to pad some stats, they're really laying a beating on the Rockies.

The 16-4 loss yesterday sucks but taking 2 out of 3 is all I'm hoping for with this team in most series.

Tellez is now hitting .308 in his last 16 games. Granted he's not offering a ton of power, but he is hitting really well right now.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Ucl sprain are not fun Bart is probably gonna miss the rest of the month I would say.
Perez and Gonzales will be back in the rotation in July you can pencil a IL stint for Skenes and Jones to help with innings

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty absurd win to be honest. Fleming just comes in out of nowhere and gives you 4 sweat free innings, bats finally come alive to keep the leverage pitchers fully rested for the big series vs the Reds tomorrow.

We needed to secure that. 7-5 over the last 4 series still doesn't do anything to help separate you, but it keeps you in the thick of things. It's gonna take a hot streak to make anything actually interesting, but frustrations fully granted about multiple things, it's hard to deny the baseline that the team has established basically since Skenes had come up. Just wish the GM had given the manager more to work with to maximize the opportunity that's sitting there.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1718576915901.png

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yep, just get those series wins! Good job Pen!

I missed yesterday's game, so I can't really comment on things with any detail whatsoever. But I admit when I came to read the board, I was a bit surprised. The wailing, and gnashing of teeth caught me off guard. But again, I didn't see the game, I saw the score, and just chalked it up to the venue. And some of our crap pitchers having to eat innings. So the amount of runs didn't bother me. 16, whatever, it's Colorado.

Just like I didn't look at today's 8 spot and Friday's fiver, and think hooray our bat problems are solved. But if we would have lost today........Then yeah, so in any series, I guess everything can turn on one game. And today, fortunately, was in our favor. That's baseball.

Like Emp said, and DJ always emphasizes, it's about getting series wins. Which definitely made the St. Louis series frustrating. (speaking of which, went to their board, baseball thread, which in the past is hopping. It is pretty much dead this season. Hardly any convo at all. So for them, this must be the "dark days". And our announcers also mentioned that Cards fan support is drying up, in comparison to past years.)

Glad we got this series win, and can't wait to see Skenes tomorrow (watching at home). Anyone going to the game, stay hydrated, gonna be a hot one.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
With Yamamoto hurt for presumably a few months, the path seems pretty clear now for Skenes to end up in the top-2 of NL ROY.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Like Emp said, and DJ always emphasizes, it's about getting series wins. Which definitely made the St. Louis series frustrating. (speaking of which, went to their board, baseball thread, which in the past is hopping. It is pretty much dead this season. Hardly any convo at all. So for them, this must be the "dark days". And our announcers also mentioned that Cards fan support is drying up, in comparison to past years.)

Glad we got this series win, and can't wait to see Skenes tomorrow (watching at home). Anyone going to the game, stay hydrated, gonna be a hot one.
1) You need sweeps occasionally.

2) With St. Louis, I think the aura of invincibility is gone. They will still be better than us most years, but the idea that the team can roll out of bed, find some random guys mixed with some stars and win 90+ games in the NL Central year in and year out is over. Jordan Walker looks like an outright bust and they don't have the next franchise players to take over from Goldschmidt/Arenado, who themselves took over from Pujols/Wainwright/Molina. To be honest they remind me of the Steelers as a franchise - just because the franchise has been better historically does not mean they'll continue to be better. Maybe they'll shock the world and get Juan Soto or something, but I doubt it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hate how the MLB implementing rules in the CBA makes me want to cheer against Skenes winning the ROY.

Speaking realistically, Skenes finishing top-2 in ROY voting just means he's going to be leaving Pittsburgh a year earlier, which just sucks.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Imma hope he wins it

Will him NOT winning REALLY affect the team trajectory? We are gonna continue to mostly suck for years, anyway.

At least one of our guys can win some hardware before they go to LAD.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree that he has to be extended. I doubt this would be a consideration at all, but it's part good PR in the eventual case he finishes top-2 for ROY: "Paul is a special talent. We knew he could make an immediate impact, but we wanted to build him into professional ball slowly and tick some boxes" blah blah, i.e. we didn't just purely keep him in AAA to try to get a 7th year of control.

There's really no excuse not to try something. He's already a total sensation that people are going to plan around trying to see. You won't get a more marketable player.

While it's within the realm of possibility that he'd want to get to free agency as soon as possible, the structure of MLB contracts still works overwhelmingly in the team's favor. Workhorse pitchers are also getting huge paydays even after their TJS or other major injuries. That adds up to being able to pay for a year or two of free agency in exchange for locking in raises on the guaranteed years and basically putting a concrete fence around the end of any competitive window.

It will be something to worry about in the offseason and not now, and even with the Keller, Hayes, and Reynolds signings, I'll still only believe it when I see it. I do think it's now more likely than not he finishes top-2. Imanaga could be a few steps ahead, but none of the batters are that close to either of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad