OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
One of things brought up during trade talk today is a rumor (from many years ago) that I was unaware of. Dan Z, said "yep", when this rumor was brought up, as if that's what he heard as well. Maybe it's well known, but first I ever heard of it.

And that the Pirates not wanting to include prospect Gregory Polanco in a proposed deal was the difference between them getting and not getting Giancarlo Stanton. I had never of that one before.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
One of things brought up during trade talk today is a rumor (from many years ago) that I was unaware of. Dan Z, said "yep", when this rumor was brought up, as if that's what he heard as well. Maybe it's well known, but first I ever heard of it.

And that the Pirates not wanting to include prospect Gregory Polanco in a proposed deal was the difference between them getting and not getting Giancarlo Stanton. I had never of that one before.
haven't heard that name in forever. So many tools, some very good stretches, seemed lazy though, Probably should have pulled the trigger there.

Reactions: DaveG

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I like the two moves and generally think it was an solid deadline, but agree with others that this doesn't really move the needle much for me. With Perez out and IKF in that's basically a wash in terms of payroll. It's an improvement to the things that needed addressing, but it's not exactly a vote of confidence from ownership/front office.

C+/B- ?

Agreed.

They are not going to bring in a top notch hitter unless you're looking to trade Chandler or Johnson and they shouldn't trade either. Why people beat themselves up over moves made by this org is beyond me.

Maybe look for a new team to follow/root for?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah, the promise never came close to the reality.
Seems to be a common pattern with our top prospects. Bell, Polanco, Gonzales, Newman, even Cole wasnt a top ace here aside from 2 years, Marte you could even argue was a slight disappointment. (though a 40 career WAR is nothing to scoff at)

since70

Sep 27, 2016
When Marte and Polanco were here it was obvious Marte was the better player. I never got the love the Pirates had for Polanco, there were a lot of obvious red flags.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Serious question - are you cool with going into next season with these two as your "additions" to the lineup? You have to recognize that there's a very real chance that this added salary will preclude/replace other additions of consequence this offseason. You good with rolling into 2025 with this lineup (IKF at CF and Gonzales at 2B)? That's not a good offense.

Just getting back to this now, if those are those only moves for next year then no, I wouldn't be happy. The additions they made today improve the team this year by replacing bad players with mid players. I think that improvement for purely this year puts the team in legitimate contention for a WC spot, which is really the only upside I think this team has this year. I think they have legitimate playoff chances next year, I don't think they have that this year.

I think the offense needs far too much help this year for me to think this team can do anything in the playoffs. Some of that help will need to be internal, with guys like Hayes fixing his shit and Endy getting healthy. But they need improvement at all of C, 2B, 3B, CF and RF offensively, and I don't think it's feasible to be able to fix all of those at the deadline.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Playoffs this year would be amazing. Don't think they could go far, but even a wild card loss would be just thrilling.

I just want a winning record. We didn't know Jones would be okay this year and certainly didn't know they would even have the balls to play Skenes.

Get serious to start next year. Have to... It would be a total squander to not go for the division/playoff WINS next year.

...they're somehow catching breaks in this game, let's gooooo

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Crazy how jazz Chisholm turns into a superstar as soon as he is traded to the Yankees. Hitting the cover off the ball. Sucks knowing we were close to getting him.

Taylor just obliterated that ball.
Seems the 4 worse hitters are getting on track at the same time recenlty. triolo, Hayes, Grandal, and Taylor. Would be huge if it sustains.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
When they're on, they're on

When they're off, they're OFF

pittsburgh-pirates-parrot-mascot-laughing-he8infrpnyqv3e4p.webp

Let's
Goooooooooo!

A series win in HOU.... Try for the sweep tomorrow!

Reactions: DaveG and td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad