OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
wish he was trading arms he didnt like instead of bats, since he really hasnt exhibited much ability to properly rate hitters

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
yeah as much as BDLC seems like a bargain given what was traded away, this feels like an overpayment by a good chunk.
Yeah it's tricky. He's had a great season, but it's also possible that we're selling way high on him. IKF is a bold buy -- if he can just maintain this level of play for the remainder of this year and next year, he's a huge help.

Reactions: DaveG and td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Giving up McAdoo sucks, but this team needs help now and IKF is cost controlled for next year as well. I am not believing for even a second that his bat will maintain the level it has been at this year, but he should be a good defensive contact hitter that you can play basically anywhere.

I'd plan on him playing 2B until Gonzales gets back and then have him take over the CF role for next year.

I believe Falefa is signed through '25?

Yeah 1 more year at $7.5 million.

Yeah it's tricky. He's had a great season, but it's also possible that we're selling way high on him. IKF is a bold buy -- if he can just maintain this level of play for the remainder of this year and next year, he's a huge help.

Yeah I think it's both the Pirates are buying high on IKF while also selling high on McAdoo. Doing it as a 1 for 1 swap is hard to complain about.

Reactions: DaveG

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We didn't give up any top 10 prospects AND INFACT added Yorke who's currently our 5th best prospect. They ACTUALLY took on salary and two major leaguers who are under team control beyond this season!

How can anyone be anything but thrilled about these moves????

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'm not a prospect guru and I'm not going to complain about giving up something to get something but man does trading an OF prospect right now seem like a bad idea given the current system.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They trade their only legit OF prospect who was quickly rising. Cherington is a moron.

EDIT: FOR A UTILITY Infielder????? Cherington is the worst GM EVER

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Giving up McAdoo sucks, but this team needs help now and IKF is cost controlled for next year as well. I am not believing for even a second that his bat will maintain the level it has been at this year, but he should be a good defensive contact hitter that you can play basically anywhere.

I'd plan on him playing 2B until Gonzales gets back and then have him take over the CF role for next year.

Yeah 1 more year at $7.5 million.

Yeah I think it's both the Pirates are buying high on IKF while also selling high on McAdoo. Doing it as a 1 for 1 swap is hard to complain about.
IKF-
2B- 61
SS- 327
3B- 192
LF- 37
CF- 42
RF- 7

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea..........you LOL'd when I called the Archer trade a historically bad trade. We'll revisit this one again the start of next year.

McAdoo is nowhere even remotely close to MLB ready. He has an absolutely massive swing and miss problem, both in terms of making contact with pitches in the zone and swinging at pitches outside of the zone. He'd get absolutely shredded if he went up against MLB pitching.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yea..........you LOL'd when I called the Archer trade a historically bad trade. We'll revisit this one again the start of next year.
Yes we will, we got a proven commodity who's signed beyond this season for a guy who's not even a top 15 prospect.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
McAdoo is nowhere even remotely close to MLB ready. He has an absolutely massive swing and miss problem, both in terms of making contact with pitches in the zone and swinging at pitches outside of the zone. He'd get absolutely shredded if he went up against MLB pitching.
Once again, it's bookmarked. McAdoo was the most consistent hitter that I saw in the Pirates system this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

A guy who's chasing 37.8% of the time with pitches outside of the zone and only making contact with 74.2% of swings within the zone in A+/AA is nowhere even close to MLB ready.

Put that guy up against a MLB slider and he's going to fall over trying to swing at it.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'll give credit to Brownie. He definitely must have had something whispered in his ear.

"we have two hours, we will do something."

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm not a prospect guru and I'm not going to complain about giving up something to get something but man does trading an OF prospect right now seem like a bad idea given the current system.

He is a 3B. Which sucks because we could fantasize about him replacing Hayes but realistically that wasn't going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad