OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Not to be negative because I think it is a solid pick up and the rest of the return hasn’t been announced yet… but if the return isn’t really that much why in the hell did it take so long to “close the gap” and get this done?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
He's a roughly league average bat that can give them 20-25 HRs over a full year, and they gave up basically nothing for him. What is there to complain about here?
He's Olivares v2.0. I'm not complaining about him per se, but watching the teams we are competing for playoff spots add better players while we talk ourselves into "well he's better than Palacios" and being happy isn't my thing.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
This seriously can't be how we are evaluating trades now.
Needed an outfielder that can hit and got one that has some pop. Had pretty much no other OF outside of Reynolds that produced. He’s got warts, sure. But it cost nothing prospects.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's Olivares v2.0. I'm not complaining about him per se, but watching the teams we are competing for playoff spots add better players while we talk ourselves into "well he's better than Palacios" being happy isn't my thing.

I agree with you that De La Cruz is basically what Olivares is supposed to be, but that's still a pretty useful player.

I agree with you that this team needed to do more than De La Cruz, but De La Cruz himself is a solid addition IMO. Like I said on the last page, getting both Chisholm and De La Cruz was my goal for the deadline.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
IKF is a good pick up. Swinging a good bat this year and gives you some flexibility in the infield. This is kind of the bar I had in mind with getting BDLC... it's not the impact upgrade we needed, but getting two supplementary players is at least something.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I've been telling you guys, Cherington should be called Cheatington because of how bad this dude cheats other teams!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Miami is a tough park for righty hitters. I have always liked BDLC. But hard to forget that Olivares also busted here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh damn, I didn't realize Kiner-Falefa was having such a good year this year. I always figured him as a defense only utility guy, not a 115 OPS+ guy. He's almost definitely not going to maintain that level of play, but that's a pretty significant bat addition for this team.

My guess is that Chapman is going to the Astros to clear up money and that money is being used to acquire Kiner-Falefa.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
IKF is kind of a funny acquisition since he's known for being able to play everywhere and we need help at basically every position other than SP.

We'll see the return. He's controllable next year too. I'd love one more OF bat. Mullins would be a dream at this point.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
IKF is a good pick up. Swinging a good bat this year and gives you some flexibility in the infield. This is kind of the bar I had in mind with getting BDLC... it's not the impact upgrade we needed, but getting two supplementary players is at least something.
BDLC is a sneaky-good pickup IMO. Yeah his defense is mediocre at best but his bat is a massive upgrade on anything we've been rolling in the outfield lately not named Reynolds.

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Have to give to get, and IKF is having a phenomenal season.

I'll wait and see how the rest of things shake out. I'm inclined to say pretty firmly that there's no point in trading Chapman given these two moves unless you get someone who immediately comes on the roster.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad