OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Brutal appearance from Mlodzinski. Got a gift with Moreno's mistake and completely wasted it.

I think it was questionable to send Ortiz back out there. The bullpen is totally rested.

Reactions: td_ice

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Brutal appearance from Mlodzinski. Got a gift with Moreno's mistake and completely wasted it.

I think it was questionable to send Ortiz back out there. The bullpen is totally rested.
Yeah, should have pulled ortiz at 5, going 3 times through lineup when he's had so little control tonight... Shelton Strategy

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Not understanding how Cutch and Cruz cannot make contact with 6 straight fast balls straight down the middle.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Cruz's head is a mess right now at the dish. Unfortunately we have 0 offensive depth and Reynolds/Rowdy gone, so we have to ride this out with him.

I mean these at bats have been comical today.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If this team is going to do anything they need external hitting. Probably 2 guys.

This offense is just brutal especially if Cruz is in a cold streak. There's no danger. It's so easy to face us.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Typical loss that any normal hitting team would have easily won. Dbacks pitchers are awful, never seen so many low 90s fastballs directly down the middle not get hit.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

They're gonna need to trade prospects

Oh no they may trade Yordany de Los Santos who failed in his first test in A-Ball and is now doing well as a 19 year old in the Complex League!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this offensive performances builds off of Wednesday when they didn't get a single hit after Rowdy's HR IIRC.

Cruz lacing a single is encouraging but we need help NOW or we are staring at a sweep in this series.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty brutal performance all around. Say what you want about the offense not capitalizing in the last two innings, but 3 runs should have been enough to get the job done. Ortiz makes a mistake pitch at the end of his night and then Mlodzinski isn't sharp at all when trying to mop up.

Hard not to think this will be the series where we finally drop 3 straight this season, but the Snakes are beatable. Pfaadt gives up traffic and home runs, but he's been on a roll.

The offense is woeful without Reynolds and even worse if Rowdy is out. Might be the worst possible convergence of things to take the wind out of our sails and not really buy. Gonzales has had some clutch hits but otherwise looks terrible at the plate. Cutch might take some heat and Cruz had several bad PAs tonight but a lot of the lineup is just nowhere near enough. We need two bats if we're going to make a run at it.

We'll see if we can bounce back. I think this is a series where you just need one to keep in the fight. Would have been a relief to nab it tonight and put the pressure on the hosts.

Reactions: td_ice

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We're just not close enough in the hitting department to be legitimate contenders. Pitching is trending in the right direction, without a doubt.

This is why we shouldn't be selling the farm quite yet. I'm cool with Chisholm and another bat, but don't be throwing away our premium prospects.

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
People are right to jump all over Cherington, IMO. Unless it comes out that Miami is demanding multiple top-100 prospects for Chisholm, there's really no excuse not to get an outfielder to Arizona. Even if that were the case, there are other options who could be had.

Just to put it out there, if we do get swept, it will feel like the sky is falling, but it really will take a huge slide of like a week plus for that to be the case. If we can just claw out a win in this series, it will be totally fine. It's not going to be easy to beat Houston either, but we'll have Skenes and 3-3 would be a perfectly fine road trip.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
We're just not close enough in the hitting department to be legitimate contenders. Pitching is trending in the right direction, without a doubt.

This is why we shouldn't be selling the farm quite yet. I'm cool with Chisholm and another bat, but don't be throwing away our premium prospects.
Yea, I'm a no go on selling prospects now. This year is 2012 all over again. No way we can compete with this lineup.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

Completely agree. I don't want to see another Archer trade when they weren't legitimate contenders. I do like Chisholm.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
You make trades for the end of this year and going forward with controllable players. Don’t need any 35 year old rentals. But it’s the same thing as all season. The bats aren’t good enough…at all.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I’m at the point where I wouldn’t bother with any trade that’s not 2-3 years of control. With Gonzales turning back into a pumpkin and with Suwinski and Hayes being negatives at the plate, this offense is just not remotely good enough to compete no matter how good the pitching is. That said, if you can add some bats that will help you moving forward you do it as there’s nothing on the horizon in the system and doing anything that gets Taylor or Suwinski or Palacios or the rest of the comically bad OF off the field is a plus.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Sure feels like the tried and true "there's always next year" is about to hit

Might as well shut the arms down if we lose out on any good deals by Monday

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's still a question of weathering the next two, two and a half weeks. Even if we drop back to 3-4 games out of the WC race, that's a completely live heat.

I think the prospects we shouldn't trade are Chandler and Johnson. Otherwise, improve the team. We shouldn't do something stupid like trade Harrington for a rental or an alright player with some control (like Lane Thomas, who I do like for a cheaper cost), but it's a thin margin, we are right there, and we have the hardest thing to have - pitching.

Last night sucked, but we've seen bad losses so many times. It's up to the team to find a way to scratch out an ugly game this weekend and salvage the series. Let's hope we get "give up a million home runs" Pfaaft and not "flirt with 10 Ks" Pfaadt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad