OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah thats a factor for sure, but some teams not liking Jazz’s personality also limits his market.

I wouldnt be surprised if Jazz’s return is similarish.

Peguero
Mueth or Kennedy
White Jr

Would be where my offer starts

Based on this tweet, I think your deal is pretty reasonable on paper. The only question I'd have is the same question DJ brought up yesterday, would they want a high upside low minors prospect over Peguero? I think Peguero's luster has really worn off, he looks like a bench piece in the MLB going forward. I think the same logic applies to Ashcraft as well, he's basically 25 already.

What I'd be shooting for at this point is very similar to what you proposed, though. I'd just replace Peguero with Delgado, I think that would be more appealing for Miami. I also wonder if you could get Miami to buy high on Solometo, who I'm super down on as a prospect at this point.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Based on this tweet, I think your deal is pretty reasonable on paper. The only question I'd have is the same question DJ brought up yesterday, would they want a high upside low minors prospect over Peguero? I think Peguero's luster has really worn off, he looks like a bench piece in the MLB going forward. I think the same logic applies to Ashcraft as well, he's basically 25 already.

What I'd be shooting for at this point is very similar to what you proposed, though. I'd just replace Peguero with Delgado, I think that would be more appealing for Miami. I also wonder if you could get Miami to buy high on Solometo, who I'm super down on as a prospect at this point.

Ashcraft is a 2-year TJ hiatus. His value is way way higher than Peguero's. Ashcraft could be another Ortiz honestly.

Not saying I wouldn't move him, cause if the right deal happened I would. But Ashcraft and Harrington (and maybe Barco) are in their own 2nd tier of our prospects.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Trading with the Rays is never a fun proposition but Yandy Diaz would be an interesting addition. He's controllable for three more seasons at 8M, 10M, and 12M, with the last one being a club option.

He's taken a step back offensively this year, but if you can get him back to the level he was before, it would be a real steal.

The only thing is that he's also not great in the field. I suppose if you put Hayes on the IL, he could play some there, but really he'd be an acquisition to mix into the DH spot and platoon with Rowdy/have as a 1B next year.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Is this going to be another year where we hear the "Pirates are in on players X, Y, Z, etc" and a minute after the deadline expires they'll have nothing because "nothing matched with what the team was trying to do?"

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yandy Diaz falls into that "he doesn't play a position of need" issue as well, but he was such a monster in the past that I don't see how you can say no to acquiring him.

I think Diaz would step in as their long-term 1B after this year, since I figure Tellez will get a decent UFA deal this year. But for the rest of this year, I'd be curious for how it played out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thinking about it more, I think acquiring Diaz would be pretty easy to make work with the rest of the roster. Against righties, you'd run with Diaz at DH and Tellez at 1B, with McCutchen occasionally playing DH and RF. Against lefties, you'd run with Diaz at 1B and McCutchen as DH, with Tellez only very sparingly used against lefties. Joe wouldn't be used at 1B any more after that, he'd exclusively be used in the OF as likely a platoon partner with Suwinski.

It would demote McCutchen out from "full time DH" to "bench piece against righties and DH against lefties", but I don't really see that as a huge issue. If you add Chisholm as well, it would leave you with:

Vs RHP:

1. Chisholm (CF)
2. Diaz (DH)
3. Reynolds (LF)
4. Cruz (SS)
5. Tellez (1B)
6. Gonzales (2B)
7. Suwinski (RF)
8. Hayes (3B)
9. Bart (C)

Vs LHP:

1. Chisholm (CF)
2. Diaz (1B)
3. Reynolds (LF)
4. Cruz (SS)
5. Gonzales (2B)
6. McCutchen (DH)
7. Joe (RF)
8. Hayes (3B)
9. Bart (C)

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Is this going to be another year where we hear the "Pirates are in on players X, Y, Z, etc" and a minute after the deadline expires they'll have nothing because "nothing matched with what the team was trying to do?"

If they get swept by the D-Backs this weekend then yes.

Otherwise, no way. We are going for it. Nutting is the same owner who signed off on Glasnow, Meadows and his first round pick for Archer. He's not a complete idiot, he knows he only has Paul Skenes for 4 years after this.

At minimum I would expect something like Lane Thomas + Pham. And Chisholm makes a ton of sense ESPECIALLY if Davis is in play for Miami.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

Otherwise, no way. We are going for it. Nutting is the same owner who signed off on Glasnow, Meadows and his first round pick for Archer. He's not a complete idiot, he knows he only has Paul Skenes for 4 years after this.

At minimum I would expect something like Lane Thomas + Pham. And Chisholm makes a ton of sense ESPECIALLY if Davis is in play for Miami.
I hope you're right, except for the being swept by the DBacks part.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's wild to me that the Rays are blowing it up to this degree when they're 52-51 and only 4 games out of a WC spot, especially after they had 99 wins last year. Maybe they're just so convinced they can't contend with Baltimore or NYY in their division in the next few years that they're basically nuking the team.

I feel like the Franco situation started the sharp decline of that team. It's probably too far to say "they're blowing up the team because of Franco being arrested", but I bet they'd be more like 57-46 right now if they still had Franco.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

I get and agree with the move. Get what you can for a guy who wasn't making the team.

But as a PR move, not smart to make Nutting's first trade deadline move selling a player.

:rolleyes: Nobody even knows who this guy is and he spent the entire season in AAA. As a PR move nobody gives a f***.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Zangrilli was on the PM show on the Fan and if what he was saying is a reflection of how the team feels (which I would be willing to bet it is) then it’s going to be an uneventful deadline.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

I really hope we win the series just to see what they do.

Every single comment by management has suggested we are doing absolutely nothing.

I feel like the Glasnow trade was done for the some reason of not having to deal with paying those guys in a few years.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Just a fan site, but still useful to see what unbiased/opposing biased fans might think of a matchup.

This would work fine in my eyes. Harrington is a useful upper minors pitcher to have, and any of the 3 batters could be someone who hurts to have given up in about 2-3 years (especially YDLS), but this preserves basically all the other important prospect depth.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I really hope we win the series just to see what they do.

Every single comment by management has suggested we are doing absolutely nothing.

I feel like the Glasnow trade was done for the some reason of not having to deal with paying those guys in a few years.

It's hard to put any Overton window on Pirates cynicism, but this is over the top.

I get and agree with the move. Get what you can for a guy who wasn't making the team.

But as a PR move, not smart to make Nutting's first trade deadline move selling a player.

No one gives a f about this guy. Literally no one.

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Just a fan site, but still useful to see what unbiased/opposing biased fans might think of a matchup.

This would work fine in my eyes. Harrington is a useful upper minors pitcher to have, and any of the 3 batters could be someone who hurts to have given up in about 2-3 years (especially YDLS), but this preserves basically all the other important prospect depth.

That seems like a pretty clear overpayment for Chisholm.

Harrington and De Los Santos are both 45 FV prospects and Blanco seems like a rising prospect (currently 40+ FV with an .891 OPS this year). Based on Fangraphs, that the Pirates giving up their 7th, 11th, 15th and 32nd prospect for Chisholm. Based on MLB's rankings, it's their 5th, 10th, 15th and 28th prospect.

Most of the twitter replies there agree with me that it's an overpayment for Chisholm. Take out either Blanco or De Los Santos and I think it's more reasonable.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Yeah, a good 100-200 ranked upper minors prospect and a smorgasbord of interesting lower minors guys is the going rate these days.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zangrilli was on the PM show on the Fan and if what he was saying is a reflection of how the team feels (which I would be willing to bet it is) then it’s going to be an uneventful deadline.

What's your definition of "uneventful"?

I think every source has said the same exact thing about the Pirates deadline: they want to add 1 or 2 bats, and pretty much everyone agrees they'll be OF bats (specifically a CF bat). A great deadline would be getting both Chisholm and Diaz, but even one of them would be a good deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad