OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's an overpayment. Harrington arrow is way up now. Tip 100 prospect. Can't have him + 3 for Jazz alone.

I could see that package working if they're getting an additional MLBer with Chisholm in the deal. But just for Chisholm, yeah that's clearly too much.

If they traded Suwinski, I think that Jesus Sanchez could make a ton of sense as another target from Miami. He's another platoon guy that can't play against lefties, but he actually has the defensive profile to fit really well in RF. He has an above average defense profile for a RF (71st percentile range and 76th percentile arm) with really good batted ball data and basically league average offensive numbers over his career.

With Suwinski being really good for the last month, I doubt they'd move on from him though.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
It's hard to put any Overton window on Pirates cynicism, but this is over the top.

No one gives a f about this guy. Literally no one.
Well, there has yet to be a logical explanation for that trade I can wrap my head around. Lol

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
For me it comes down to whether you want an MLB player or you want to say that you tried and the market wasn't right. I don't deny that you can't just throw prospects around willy nilly, but the odds on White, Blanco, and YDLS are that they won't make MLB. Maybe one becomes a part-time player. If you are really lucky, one becomes an everyday player or something more.

Maybe the Marlins need to add another player in to even it out some, but it's still in the ballpark. The rumors before the season had them interested in Ashcraft if I am not mistaken. I think you can stomach Ashcraft or Harrington as a 45+ or maybe 50 FV pitcher as the headliner of a deal, along with the lotto tickets.

Jazz is an above average regular who is controllable for two more years after this one. The only thing worth pausing over is that he does have consistency issues and he has slumped for a while this summer. He's not the solution to all of our problems who will be a huge impact player, though something like that upside is still present. But I think more importantly, he is the solution to a major puzzle piece that we do not have and will not have for the next 2.5 years. As long as a deal is within reason, which I would define as not involving Chandler or Johnson, or something like both Ashcraft and Harrington, then I am pulling the trigger.

My main caveat would be that if Mullins is available, there's a world where he brings you a good bit of what Jazz does except as a veteran and at minimal prospect cost (or baseball cost if you make a player for player trade, which seems more likely). I'm not sure I'd be into moving Chapman or Holderman for him alone, but if there's a prospect deal to be had there, or a bigger deal to recoup someone like Stowers or Beavers in addition at the cost of Chapman, I'm into it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Kimbrel just blew another close game for the Orioles. I imagine it will be Scott, but you gotta think they are desperate for leverage arms. I would see how desperate they are in a Chapman trade for sure, even if baseball-wise I'm not sure I want to see him traded.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice to see Ortiz have a comfortable first inning and be able to settle in with a lead.

This is a game that Arizona really feels like they should win. Their ace on the mound in game one of what is practically a six game series with big playoff implications. Taking it to them as the road team would be incredible.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pivotal inning here after the offense goes down quickly. Second time through the order, would be nice if Ortiz can hold this at 3-0.

I don't think I'd be hesitant to be aggressive with a well-rested Priester and Falter with the team and able to be activated at some point either. Stealing game 1 would be huge.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Ah f***, tellez to the lockers... That's a big hole right at the trade deadline

Pivotal inning here after the offense goes down quickly. Second time through the order, would be nice if Ortiz can hold this at 3-0.

I don't think I'd be hesitant to be aggressive with a well-rested Priester and Falter with the team and able to be activated at some point either. Stealing game 1 would be huge.
DBags lead off with a triple :/

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
What's your definition of "uneventful"?

I think every source has said the same exact thing about the Pirates deadline: they want to add 1 or 2 bats, and pretty much everyone agrees they'll be OF bats (specifically a CF bat). A great deadline would be getting both Chisholm and Diaz, but even one of them would be a good deadline.
He doesn’t believe they “need” to make a deal. He also doesn’t want to give up pieces like Chandler or Ashcraft. He said that them being in contention snuck up on the front office so he doesn’t feel like they should be trading most prospects because ‘25, ‘26 and ‘27 are the real contending years. My guess is the front office shares that opinion and thus they won’t do anything because “prices were too high.”

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is where not having a second lefty in the pen is a bit tricky. If we had Borucki, I'd lean towards having Ortiz get one out in the 5th, then showing Carroll the lefty.

As it stands, I think you might just go with Ortiz but on a pretty short leash. He's grinding tonight and it would be a nice step for him to soldier through 5 innings, but the margin is pretty thin here. Gallen has totally settled in, so this is a game we have to win 3-1 or 3-2 in all likelihood.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
So of course Ortiz strikes Carroll out looking, and a 10 pitch inning

Baseball is a hell of a game lol

Tellez day to day, back spasms

Better than a broken hand though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad