OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Watching this offense incites anger. If 2/3 of Cutch, Cruz and Reynolds are misfiring they have basically no chance.

Hayes needs to be gone. Just so tired of his fake WAR accumulation on the basis of nifty defense when the guy can't hit. And just because Gonzales hits some lucky clutch singles does not mean he isn't part of the problem. Finally, if Davis isn't part of the offensive solution then WTF is he still doing in this organization?

since70

Sep 27, 2016
Fundamentals, execution, and a horrible coaching staff are this teams Achilles Heel, when you don't have the talent those things are hard to overcome.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just one of these runs where we have to pretend the offense is good when it scores 3 runs. This team was dogshit with RISP all night. The Suwinski double to the nothing burger was especially awful. Get a f*****g hit.

Gonzales is just hitting lucky seeing eye singles but there's some skill in that I suppose. What we're missing is for anyone to drive a baseball. No HRs in 3 games. You don't win that way.

since70

Sep 27, 2016
The O's are said to be willing to part with Mullins and Mountcastle. I like Mountcastle and Mullins, but I'm not sure Mullins isn't heading towards toast territory, and Mountcastle stills have a couple of years of control.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I know it's easy to pile on Grandal like we did Tellez earlier in the season but these are his peers right now in OBP (minimum 100 plate appearances). Just a pure liability. And I think there's more evidence to support that he's just physically and athletically shot at age 35 - dead last in avg pop time at 2.08 seconds. Henry Davis actually ranks among the league leaders in this, FWIW.

1721786284613.png

However in terms of pitch framing, he seems to be performing quite well. This feels like the Austin Hedges argument all over again.

1721786440224.png

Think I'm at the point where I'd rather take the growing pains with Davis than continue to trot Grandal out there even if it represents a downgrade in some called strikes over the course of the season. Seems like he's doing ok in AAA (.294/.351/.529) in 34 AB in the month of July.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I know it's easy to pile on Grandal like we did Tellez earlier in the season but these are his peers right now in OBP (minimum 100 plate appearances). Just a pure liability. And I think there's more evidence to support that he's just physically and athletically shot at age 35 - dead last in avg pop time at 2.08 seconds. Henry Davis actually ranks among the league leaders in this, FWIW.

View attachment 896672

However in terms of pitch framing, he seems to be performing quite well. This feels like the Austin Hedges argument all over again.

View attachment 896673

Think I'm at the point where I'd rather take the growing pains with Davis than continue to trot Grandal out there even if it represents a downgrade in some called strikes over the course of the season. Seems like he's doing ok in AAA (.294/.351/.529) in 34 AB in the month of July.
I'd rather just trade Davis for Chisholm and bring up Delay, who is much better than Grandal.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Cubs and Brewers just wrapped up basically an identical game to ours. Taillon turned in a brilliant start, though not as overpowering as Skenes obviously, but the Brewers eeked out one more run and took the game.

Offense is down across the sport, but that's still no excuse for how much of a cliff this lineup falls off in the bottom half.

Unless things go totally sideways, not adding would be disastrous. I think we're basically at the point where two bats are needed, or just extreme aggression to get the best player on the market in Robert. If you trade for somebody like Pham or even Winker, and then make a comment about Suwinski starting to turn a corner, it just plain and simple is not enough.

Zooming out, you have to really feel like we need the rubber match tomorrow, not just to push back a little in the season series (now 5-3 in the Cardinals favor), but also to have the wind at your back for the final stretch before the deadline. Arizona is not going to be easy as they seem to be hitting their stride and it seems like we'll face Gallen and Pfaadt. Houston is a little bit more beatable, so if we can secure a 4-2 start to the break, it will feel like a .500 road trip is perfectly fine.

These things can turn on almost a day by day basis at this point in the season. I think only a straight losing streak would make us fully punt on things, but I still lack confidence that Cherington will do what needs to be done. I highly doubt a trade is happening before the end of the weekend at the earliest, and more likely Monday or Tuesday.

Getting Jazz for CF and then 1 more bat would change the dynamic of the lineup. Even grabbing Pham on the cheap, who is basically just a league average, batting average only guy who isn't that great in the field, would complement that acquisition nicely:

CF Chisholm
LF Reynolds
SS Cruz
2B Gonzales
1B Tellez
DH Cutch
RF Pham/Suwinski
C Bart
3B Hayes

Something along those lines. Winker is obviously more appealing than Pham, but Pham should practically be free to acquire because he's not really adding anything but a solid average.

Reactions: DaveG

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly I’d take just a Chisholm trade at this point, even if they’re selling outside of bringing him in. This team has too many holes with their bats to realistically contend, and adding on inning limits for Skenes and Jones makes me skeptical that both would be available in a potential wildcard series.

Their window opens next year IMO, mostly due to Skenes and Jones being extended into full-season starters. They need to focus on the 2025-2028 window to try to make noise as a contender.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
C'mon Cherrington, get off your ass. If the team isn't going to help the GOAT out with run support, do something!!

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Last night was nothing new in any way, but it feels like it's creating an inflection point well beyond the season-to-date struggles. I'm still very skeptical that adding one bat that's not Aaron Judge will significantly move the needle on this offense that has so many holes and so much dead weight, but the clamor to do something after last night is a different feel than what had existed previously. Guess we'll see - Cherington is so low risk and so conservative that I'll be stunned if there's anything of any real consequence.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think you make the one move that is for beyond this season and continue to add in the offseason. They need to start somewhere, though. They have the starting pitching to actually compete in a playoff series.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Suwinski actually had a strong game last night. I can see why the team is willing to give him more rope. I would not bet at all on Triolo and Hayes turning it around. Gonzales' trends are alarming despite the clutch (lucky) singles. Connor Joe is completely lost. A Hayes/McMahon swap and Chisholm would be a substantial offensive upgrade.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If they could pair a competent offense with the pitching this team has at the top of the rotation, they would be a really tough out in the playoffs. It’s a damn shame this team won’t make a move to get there though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad