OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Forget rookie of the year (-550), he's 3rd in Cy Young betting odds right now lol

View attachment 894252

Fernando Valenzuela 2.0?

Would have to see the two guys above stumble a bit for Skenes to overcame the likely difference in wins.

Update: -1100 favorite for NL ROTY now. +440 for Cy Young is kind of absurd.

1720838060072.png

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Skenes win the Cy Young if he keeps up this or close to this pace and doesn't have his innings capped. Both are unlikely to happen but hot damn, the kid has the goods.

I think we've already seen that they won't f*** around with his arm at the expense of an award. That's my hesitation with the CY. I don't think they'll let him make all his scheduled starts, though I don't think he gets optioned. That would look absurd and bring about a massive amount of bad PR. Most likely they'll skip something in August and maybe again in September depending on where we are in the standings.

Even if his innings are capped a bit, he's ROTY unless the wheels come off. The numbers are just absurd and the hype is on the same level.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Skenes win the Cy Young if he keeps up this or close to this pace and doesn't have his innings capped. Both are unlikely to happen but hot damn, the kid has the goods.

I think we've already seen that they won't f*** around with his arm at the expense of an award. That's my hesitation with the CY. I don't think they'll let him make all his scheduled starts, though I don't think he gets optioned. That would look absurd and bring about a massive amount of bad PR. Most likely they'll skip something in August and maybe again in September depending on where we are in the standings.

Even if his innings are capped a bit, he's ROTY unless the wheels come off. The numbers are just absurd and the hype is on the same level.
Just insane line movement due to the no hitter and being named ASG starter. Some books even halted NL ROTY betting.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
White Sox one of the worst teams ever. Just hopeless after they conceded the game taking Crochet out.

I think Jesse Winker makes a ton of sense as their add for this year. Would cost just a 6-10 guy in the system or maybe a 10-15 guy. Something like Mueth or Brannigan.

I wouldn't mind Winker purely in terms of the addition, but I'd really hope they would shoot higher than that.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I will personally drive to Pittsburgh and burn down the entire city if the Pirates let Paul Skenes get away.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice to catch a lucky break with basically missing Crochet's start. That's the kind of bounce we needed to have a shot at some decent momentum heading into the break, if we can manage not to fumble the bag.

Ortiz and then Keller, there are no excuses. The White Sox have picked off plenty of teams before, but the bar for the pitching should be pretty high and the offense really better be able to eek out 3 runs against a weak remaining White Sox staff (the other tough matchup is Fedde, but it doesn't seem like he'll start, as Sunday is TBD for them).

Reactions: td_ice

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

I think we've already seen that they won't f*** around with his arm at the expense of an award.
That's my hesitation with the CY. I don't think they'll let him make all his scheduled starts, though I don't think he gets optioned. That would look absurd and bring about a massive amount of bad PR. Most likely they'll skip something in August and maybe again in September depending on where we are in the standings.

1720852496535.jpeg

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Obviously the Skenes talk is front and center, for good reason. But how encouraging to see Marco G. with a good start. Reminded me of Ground Chuck out there, getting those DP's when he needed it. With Falter out, for him to slide back in and perform well is huge. We are going to need it to get in/stay in the WC race.

And back to Skenes talk......

Seeing Skenes face Judge in the All star game with be shades of Ohtani vs Trout in WBC. Although the former obviously doesn't have the stakes that the latter did. Will be cool to see that individual matchup.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Obviously the Skenes talk is front and center, for good reason. But how encouraging to see Marco G. with a good start. Reminded me of Ground Chuck out there, getting those DP's when he needed it. With Falter out, for him to slide back in and perform well is huge. We are going to need it to get in/stay in the WC race.
It was encouraging but again, the White Sox offense is significantly worse than the Pirates offense. I'll need to see him do it against a real ML team before I am too encouraged.

White Sox one of the worst teams ever. Just hopeless after they conceded the game taking Crochet out.

I think Jesse Winker makes a ton of sense as their add for this year. Would cost just a 6-10 guy in the system or maybe a 10-15 guy. Something like Mueth or Brannigan.
I have a friend who is a White Sox fan and is rooting for them to lose 120 games. I tried to explain that as a Pirates fan I know bad teams and that it is really hard to lose that many. Even with as bad as they are, they are on pace to lose just over 116. Any even mild winning and they are way behind.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

I liked Zap Brannigan in Futurama.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It was encouraging but again, the White Sox offense is significantly worse than the Pirates offense. I'll need to see him do it against a real ML team before I am too encouraged.

I have a friend who is a White Sox fan and is rooting for them to lose 120 games. I tried to explain that as a Pirates fan I know bad teams and that it is really hard to lose that many. Even with as bad as they are, they are on pace to lose just over 116. Any even mild winning and they are way behind.
Yeah, the tests will get harder with better competition. But a good start nonetheless.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He's already at double his prior professional inning count.. 105 vs 54

CWS suck badly, so why waste the arm in vain?

We have been talking a lot about Jackson Holliday here, but I think it's at least 50% that Crochet for Holliday is the basis of a deadline blockbuster. Baltimore needs those innings in October.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
He's already at double his prior professional inning count.. 105 vs 54

CWS suck badly, so why waste the arm in vain?
Idk. Shit like that is insane to me. "Well we suck,cso might as well not use our best player.."

I mean it DOES make sense, still insane.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This Jackson Holliday talk is insane to me. Really giving up on a dude after 39 ABs?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the biggest thing with Gonzales is just health now. Having him reliably soak up 5-6 innings a start for three months would be a big help, especially so that we can avoid a similar situation as running Oviedo's wheels off last year (which would obviously be a major disaster if it were Skenes or Jones... they should just be shut down if necessary, but it seems like we'll be able to skip some starts and navigate it, and I would bet we slow roll Jones as much as possible now before he starts back up).

Reactions: Ulf5

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't like the feel of this game so far. Really need someone to step up and break through the third time vs Flexen.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah it's strange, he seems a little bit lacking in command today, but then when a runner gets to second, he locks in and generates the whiffs for Ks

Bloop and a blast would make this game a lot less stressful. A loss in a game like this would be par for the course in terms of our weekly/series-ly complete joke loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad