Euro: Quarterfinals - France v. Portugal - July 5

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Ronaldo needs to retire and Martinez needs to be fired. Disgraceful tournament with maybe the best Portugal squad ever.
Arguably the best squad at this tournament top to bottom. I said day one of that hire that if Martinez is the alternative, Portugal are better off sticking with Santos. Make no mistake about it though, part of the catch with this job was that Ronaldo will play as much as he wants, RM doesn't have the cred to bench Ronaldo.

Roberto Martinez fails upwards, the man has no business being here.

Reactions: Moncherry

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Arguably the best squad at this tournament top to bottom. I said day one of that hire that if Martinez is the alternative, Portugal are better off sticking with Santos. Make no mistake about it though, part of the catch with this job was that Ronaldo will play as much as he wants, RM doesn't have the cred to bench Ronaldo.

Yup. Martinez lost that game. Billshit game by him. Portugal was almost unrecognizable. That’s not how they play. Either pull Ronaldo or bring him in late in the games. He can’t start. They look for him too much and suffer for it. France has lost some serious skill besides Mbppe. Without him, they aren’t that dangerous. They aren’t as good as they think. No goal scored says something. Anyway, you live and die by the sword. Portugal wins on PK’s and loses in PK’s. Good soccer day. Previous game was great.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

For all the crap Santos was given, and not without reason, he never managed a tournament as poorly as Martinez just did.

If only Mourinho didn't turn down the job. I didn't want him, but he's better than Martinez. For one thing, he probably would have had the spine to bench Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
For all the crap Santos was given, and not without reason, he never managed a tournament as poorly as Martinez just did.

If only Mourinho didn't turn down the job. I didn't want him, but he's better than Martinez. For one thing, he probably would have had the spine to bench Ronaldo.
A Mourinho coached Portugal wins this tournament, there is no doubt in my mind

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
How old are people here to actually have watched Euro 84 and remember it lol. My first memory is France-Brazil '98 and it's reeeaaaaally blurry. I just remember being in a mall shopping with my mom and I got to watch part of the game while she waited. Zidane scored.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Is obvious that Cristiano Ronaldo is upset. His match fitness is not for games of this level whilst his skillset and physical form definitely still is. Not sure if he realises that he started slumming it too early though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Suiiii

I wouldn’t say I hope they lose. They managed eek by a Martinez coached team. Well done to them. Let’s see them play Spain?
Frankly doesn't change much.
This french team is banged up and out of form. Their star player is clearly playing trying to avoid contact.
And they still reached the semis.
4 semis in 5 tournaments. Unreal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Portugal was so much better than France. France is fortunate that it went to pens because they didn't deserve to win and probably would not have if there was more extra time. However, they got Saliba who is unstoppable and Theo is looking beastly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad