Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's worse than the Holtz/Schmid trade. Savoie is only 20 years old, drafted 9th overall in the 2022 draft. Two years and they gave up on a top prospect?

I will say that for every Filip Forsberg, there's 5 other former 1st rounders who teams gave up on 'too early' and they were right to do it. Buffalo is likely to understand Savoie's game better than any other organization at this juncture.

And given the scouting report on Savoie - small, slow sniper - I hope someone in Buffalo saw what Holtz went through here with Ruff and decided to pull the cord early. That said, you've got to get a 2nd round pick back in a deal like this.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I will say that for every Filip Forsberg, there's 5 other former 1st rounders who teams gave up on 'too early' and they were right to do it. Buffalo is likely to understand Savoie's game better than any other organization at this juncture.

And given the scouting report on Savoie - small, slow sniper - I hope someone in Buffalo saw what Holtz went through here with Ruff and decided to pull the cord early. That said, you've got to get a 2nd round pick back in a deal like this.

They didn't give up on him. Its that they also have Peterka, Benson, Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, and Ostlund as young undersized skill forwards drafted in teh first round.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They didn't give up on him. Its that they also have Peterka, Benson, Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, and Ostlund as young undersized skill forwards drafted in teh first round.

He's a 9th overall pick with 3 years left on an ELC, you can't trade him for a 3rd-4th line center 3 years away from UFA and a meh prospect. Nobody else in the league cares that you have too many young small forwards.

Get a 2027 2nd round pick if that's what's on offer but you have to get something for the far future for giving up this much draft equity.

Reactions: Darkauron

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He's a 9th overall pick with 3 years left on an ELC, you can't trade him for a 3rd-4th line center 3 years away from UFA and a meh prospect. Nobody else in the league cares that you have too many young small forwards.

Get a 2027 2nd round pick if that's what's on offer but you have to get something for the far future for giving up this much draft equity.

He traded a high ceiling skill forward for a bottom 6 utility player. The concept of value doesn't matter to him (and really, buffalo has so much assets they can afford to throw players away). They have a bad GM and this is what bad GMs do.

I wanted the Devils to trade Marino for one of those skill guys because there's none in our system. Unfortunately Buffalo has the only GM in the league that doesn't care about handedness so the RD value was lost on him.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
IMG_2078.jpeg

Hockey Reddit is a pretty annoying place, but this was funny^^

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He traded a high ceiling skill forward for a bottom 6 utility player. The concept of value doesn't matter to him (and really, buffalo has so much assets they can afford to throw players away). They have a bad GM and this is what bad GMs do.

I wanted the Devils to trade Marino for one of those skill guys because there's none in our system. Unfortunately Buffalo has the only GM in the league that doesn't care about handedness so the RD value was lost on him.

Yeah, I don't think Fitzgerald would be interested in bringing in another team's prospect, unfortunately. That said, the kind of GM that trades Savoie for a bad return won't do that for John Marino.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Would have loved to have stolen Wahlberg from Buffalo.

Reactions: Guadana

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Specifically it said it was a "perfect match" for Florida. Maybe that's true enough as mediocre D with decent skating and skills always seem to do better on a team that plays a very structured defensive system. I think it's fair to say the shine has worn off both of these players, as much as Jesper might have helped us last year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder if teams (meaning us and Boston) don't re-sign Boqvist simply because they don't wanna pay him more than a million a year or give him a one way deal. I'm assuming these last two deals are two way deals, where he'll make considerably less in the minors.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Jesper Boqvist the only player NJ fans inexplicably love more than Brady Tkachuk
I don't care that much about him because he doesn't really move the needle much. He just holds his own in even strength minutes. But he would have been nice to have around during the great injury rush last year. I don't know if he would have made that much difference over the guys we were playing, but his versatility would have been useful at least.
I wonder if teams (meaning us and Boston) don't re-sign Boqvist simply because they don't wanna pay him more than a million a year or give him a one way deal. I'm assuming these last two deals are two way deals, where he'll make considerably less in the minors.
Yeah I think he's just not a player worth giving a QO to. People want him at league minimum.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't care that much about him because he doesn't really move the needle much. He just holds his own in even strength minutes. But he would have been nice to have around during the great injury rush last year. I don't know if he would have made that much difference over the guys we were playing, but his versatility would have been useful at least.

Yeah I think he's just not a player worth giving a QO to. People want him at league minimum.
Boquist was a near miss. If he had been a little bit better at everything or a bit bigger and stronger he's probably an excellent player. Instead he's just not quite an NHL regular.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IMG_8429.jpeg

Holtz is certainly going to have more opportunity in Vegas, that right side is ugly even with Stone in the line-up.

Olofsson and Holtz =
IMG_8427.jpeg

IMG_8428.jpeg

Going by this, Holtz drives play more/shoots more, but that’s not a shocker because Olofsson is a boat anchor in human form.

Olofsson historically can’t do shit without a playmaker, so he’ll get his shot with Eichel.

Holtz will have to fight for PP1 time here too though.

Edit: This was from an Athletic article about the potential 24-25 Vegas line-up

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
View attachment 893640

Holtz is certainly going to have more opportunity in Vegas, that right side is ugly even with Stone in the line-up.

Olofsson and Holtz =
View attachment 893635

View attachment 893636

Going by this, Holtz drives play more/shoots more, but that’s not a shocker because Olofsson is a boat anchor in human form.

Olofsson historically can’t do shit without a playmaker, so he’ll get his shot with Eichel.

Holtz will have to fight for PP1 time here too though.

Edit: This was from an Athletic article about the potential 24-25 Vegas line-up
That lineup looks like absolute shit. Holtz is scoring 28 goals next year.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its a bad decision for Devils. Jesper is very good and fast enough defensive forward 5 on 5 who can give secondary scoring and play center role. If Haula will play on the wing with Jack, we will have ~0 centers in the bottom and Lazar as only the player who has some experience even if he isn't really good сenter. We have zero depth. Boqvist could be perfect 12-13 forward. If Fitz doesn't like Boqvist, what he expect from Melovsky and Graham.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Its a bad decision for Devils. Jesper is very good and fast enough defensive forward 5 on 5 who can give secondary scoring and play center role. If Haula will play on the wing with Jack, we will have ~0 centers in the bottom and Lazar as only the player who has some experience even if he isn't really good сenter. We have zero depth. Boqvist could be perfect 12-13 forward. If Fitz doesn't like Boqvist, what he expect from Melovsky and Graham.
He also has the skating ability to hang anywhere you put him in the lineup in a pinch. I think he could hang with Jack, Bratt, or fit into a defensive winger role alongside hischier if really needed.

He was quite good for us and imo quite good for boston. I just don't get it. He's gonna get some time in Florida and I expect him to play well there too.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad