HF Habs: PWHL: Victoire de Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I assume that 15-yo Slovakian wonder Nela Lopusanova is not eligible for this draft yet?

I'm guessing due to labor laws it won't be possible to get her in the league before she turns 18.

#tankfornela2026 or wtv :sarcasm:
Better odds than for the Habs, top 6 pick guaranteed!

There's technically no minimal age, but she was not in the draft pool. The youngest in the pool was Lilly Legault (16 years old) who went undrafted. I assume they had to register for the draft and many NCAA/Euro did not either because they did not plan to move to NA or forego their NCAA eligibility.

Reactions: morhilane

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'd really like to know how Toronto was able to wait till their 4th round to pick Spooner......just an unfair advantage to Toronto there...

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I'd really like to know how Toronto was able to wait till their 4th round to pick Spooner......just an unfair advantage to Toronto there...
She applied for compassionate assistance due to her young family. I believe make the PWHL made teams use a certain pick for a player that applied to play in a certain city.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
She applied for compassionate assistance due to her young family. I believe make the PWHL made teams use a certain pick for a player that applied to play in a certain city.
I have no issue with her playing in Toronto and only Toronto. I have issue with the league evaluating her as a 4th rounder.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I have 0 interest in women hockey and I feel most people claiming otherwise are juste virtue signaling.

My sisters who are HUGE hockey fans and sports enthusiast will tell me how good it is for women and women sports… and will end up watching 0 game and buying 0 ticket, all while barely missing any Habs game. This tells me all I need to know about the future popularity of the league.
This. Sad but true over and over again. The people that should support women's sports in general (basically more women) don't actually support the sports with their $$$. They don't have much interest and don't watch it a lot of the time.

Personally I find it hard to watch when there is a better product in men's leagues i can spend time and money on. Sadly I will be told I am not doing my part by the same people who themselves do nothing to support it except virtue signal on social media.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Gta gal

Pretty sure Tor/NYC/Bos get locals that still live with their parents because rent for 1br is like $2,800 and they make 80k before taxes

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
No team names yet, but teams' have changed the color scheme of their Twitter accounts to the ones that will represent them.

@Player 61 might have been onto something mentioning the Maroons.

Even though it was laughed at, I like the maroons name. It digs a bit deeper in the hockey history of the city than the obvious Les canadiennes.

It is also a fine name, nothing wrong with it.

Jul 6, 2016
Even though it was laughed at, I like the maroons name. It digs a bit deeper in the hockey history of the city than the obvious Les canadiennes.

It is also a fine name, nothing wrong with it.
In French, it's gonna be "Les Moronnes" ..... :sarcasm::sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
In French, it's gonna be "Les Moronnes" ..... :sarcasm::sarcasm:
That was one of the reasons why. It's not E-Tron bad, but it's in that rough area.
The second being, well, that's not a great name if the point is to target the main demographic. It cannot really be francisé either (les Maronnes ça parle pas à personne), like, I don't know... Senateurs/Senators.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Personally I find it hard to watch when there is a better product in men's leagues i can spend time and money on. Sadly I will be told I am not doing my part by the same people who themselves do nothing to support it except virtue signal on social media.
Then the product is simply not for you. My level of interest in this new league is very minimal if nonexistent too but it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose. When i was young i was identifying to Stalonne And Arnie not because they were the strongest or anything but because they were men i was admiring as a boy.

For a very long time the society has catered for the most part to to men and boys (outside of barbie and the kitchen). Games were mostly featuring male protagonists lead and were targeting boys. Same for movies. It started to change somewhere when i was young for movies and recently for games. I assume if you are a girl watching athletes that you can aspire to become one day must be fun. They might not be the best but they can represent models you can idolize and aspire to become. That's the same reason people often identify to guys like Travis Moen instead of stars cause they are working class players and they are working class people.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Then the product is simply not for you. My level of interest in this new league is very minimal if nonexistent too but it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose. When i was young i was identifying to Stalonne And Arnie not because they were the strongest or anything but because they were men i was admiring as a boy.

For a very long time the society has catered for the most part to to men and boys (outside of barbie and the kitchen). Games were mostly featuring male protagonists lead and were targeting boys. Same for movies. It started to change somewhere when i was young for movies and recently for games. I assume if you are a girl watching athletes that you can aspire to become one day must be fun. They might not be the best but they can represent models you can idolize and aspire to become. That's the same reason people often identify to guys like Travis Moen instead of stars cause they are working class players and they are working class people.
Where did I say it didn't have a purpose? I am just pointing out that many of the people that claim there is a demand/need for this product do nothing themselves to support it. Maybe that will change, maybe not.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Where did I say it didn't have a purpose? I am just pointing out that many of the people that claim there is a demand/need for this product do nothing themselves to support it. Maybe that will change, maybe not.
Oh sorry i misread your post. I thought you were one of those "because i'm not interested nobody is and it should not exist" guy. My mistake. It will take time for the league to succeed but i think it could eventually have at minimum a niche audience. Like in said i think there's value in watching athletes that you can aspire to become when you are young.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Maybe it was the case in previous women pro leagues, but it could be interesting if they got "real" rivalries going since its such a small league. Maybe if theres less player movement than the NHL too it could conduct to more heated games.

Its something that is missibg from the NHL in the RS (and even at times in the playoffs).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Great news for women hockey. Now must see if les bottines vont suivre les babines, so to speak, and whether people will really watch the games.

Men hockey is already more boring to watch as it is.

Hope they succeed enough so the nucleus of professional women players can make a better living at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad