HF Habs: PWHL: Victoire de Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
It's fine they don't have to interest everyone, they just need to have an exciting product on the ice.

Don't think they have many choices anymore to grow the men's product, they need to de-alienate the population, it can be a loss-leader.

True, they may be a victim of market timing more than anything else, its going to get really ugly this spring , consumers are hard to find that's for sure

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
True, they may be a victim of market timing more than anything else, its going to get really ugly this spring , consumers are hard to find that's for sure

Don't think it's much of a business right now, it's a politically motivated experience. And that's fine to get started. The men's leagues weren't exactly rich for a long while.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
So we secured MPP, her wife, and the team Canada goalie? Is MPP's wife that good? Or could we have drafted her at 6 or 7 or 13 instead?

Would hate to see the beginnings of a country club team

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
The league will clearly not fold anytime soon because as @Adam Michaels mentioned it's being owned by a guy who showers in cash.

And his wife is the biggest pro women's sports activist in the entire world.

People that shower in cash, aren't always stupid with money and still face cash calls. Hey i'm rooting for it to work, but I think the economy is going to get 'that' ugly for everyone even the very liquid

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It's fine they don't have to interest everyone, they just need to have an exciting product on the ice.

Don't think they have many choices anymore to grow the men's product, they need to de-alienate the population, it can be a loss-leader.

wonder what happens when trans-men decide they want to play women's hockey?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So we secured MPP, her wife, and the team Canada goalie? Is MPP's wife that good? Or could we have drafted her at 6 or 7 or 13 instead?

Would hate to see the beginnings of a country club team
Laura Stacey got a contract from Toronto (she's from there) as well, so technically she could have signed there had Montréal not offered one...and MPP would have signed in Toronto as well.

The league knew it was a duo package and that Toronto and Montréal were their only options.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Laura Stacey got a contract from Toronto (she's from there) as well, so technically she could have signed there had Montréal not offered one...and MPP would have signed in Toronto as well.

The league knew it was a duo package and that Toronto and Montréal were their only options.
Interesting, didn't know Toronto was going to use a slot on her, thanks. I just looked up her stats and they seemed pretty average compared to some of the other protected players

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
wonder what happens when trans-men decide they want to play women's hockey?
You mean trans women?

I don't see the league letting that happen.

I honestly don't understand who this is for?

What's the target audience?
Families no doubt, parents who'd rather their daughters idolize a group of women coming together to achieve a common goal rather than reality TV where the women tear each other down. If I had a young family I'd be all over it, plus I'm sure tickets will be affordable

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
UMc0.gif

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
The successful women's leagues in the world are generally attached to their equivalent men's team in the top leagues.
I'm thinking mainly about the European soccer leagues, where Chelsea/ManU, Paris, Barcelona all have high performance women's teams, where the structure for player development in the men's side was expanded "organically" to women. In a sense, if you have a U13 academy team and a U16 team and a U18 team etc., how much more structure do you actually need to add a female roster?

I don't know the particulars about what led to that structure (probably cost efficiency and political goodwill) but it seems to work. In that sense, I hope the Habs can support the team with resources other than money, and recreate that "academy" synergy to sustain the women's game at both club and country level.

Speaking for myself I want to go at least once to see the GOAT play in person. Might even bring my niece!

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad