Confirmed with Link: PTO Antoine Roussel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
i'll just say, seeing news items like this make me think I'm being punk'd

yes, the Flyers desperately need to be able to field a full lineup of NHL capable players, which they did not do for most of last season, and are in danger of doing again with smaller chance

no, Roussel is not where my first ideas goto, but who knows what the Flyers can entice, nor what their fanbase seeks? they gave away NHL calibre players last season, and instead fielded AHL quality in many positions for long periods.

honest question, as I am an out of towner, and not in tune with fans in the stands whatsoever. would a return to brawling, or fighting, or any aspect of that placate so many home-town fans, and give the Flyers more breathing room at the all-important ticket office? is there a home-town fan in the building take on what seems like a completely insane roster build that gives it some possibility of working? or anything..anything...else i might be missing?

cuz from where i sit, it looks completely unhinged. i do not pretend to think that being an NHL GM is as easy as we debate about, not by a long shot. but...i mean, what TF is going on?

It’s unhinged. I’d guess about 15% of the fanbase approves of what they’ve been doing this offseason. That might be an optimistic number though

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I know you are being sarcastic, but I think to a certain extent adding players who are difficult to play against is not a bad thing. Being tough and heavy hitting and such isn't bad, as long as you can actually play. The problem is they don't have the guys that can play so adding the guys that can do the beat 'em up stuff is not helpful. You want to have a couple heavy hitting defensemen, I'm on board. You want some guys like that will drop the gloves and lay dudes out? Sign me up. But there has to be guys that can carry the workload when these guy make their mistakes. We simply don't have that. We have Sean Couturier who when healthy is one guy that can do that. The rest of the team is not. They suck. Our prospects suck. Our veterans suck. The team sucks. All we have to look forward to is hopefully getting a lucky bounce and winding up with Connor Bedard.

I have zero problems with a tough team, that plays with an edge - and aggressive hockey. I'd love that. The biggest problem remains a lack of top end young creative talent. Continuing to try to block opportunity for kids season, after season - or whats clearly an overt focus on effort/physicality is dumb.

Get the talent first, do everything possible to draft/develop it. Then fill in the gaps. Blocking kids with ND, MacEwen, or possibly Roussel is weird.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Odd to say the least. Where is the fit? He replacing ZM? They moving him to center? Someone hurt?

ND - AR - ZM

What are the odds they keep all 3 on the opening night roster?

Side note as it cracks me up ND and AR are considered goons in hockey today. Sad really.

Reactions: Rebel247

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The 4th line will never feature both Laczynski and Allison unless so many guys get injured Fletcher has no choice. Have you not been paying attention.
4th line isn't about skill.

Its about having goons that are cooked or 4th line center who win faceoffs and do nothing else in life.

Silly flyers fans wanting skills.

Team is more stuck in 70's than a Kojak marathon with the batteries dead in the remote.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
poll time, to see what posters need to put more $$$ into Flyer's pockets e.g attending and buying stuff
It’s unhinged. I’d guess about 15% of the fanbase approves of what they’ve been doing this offseason. That might be an optimistic number though
what about fans in the seats...that's what I do not have any idea of...what would make them spend $$$$ on tickets, and put aside winning just for fun.

here in Toronto (sad), if the team underperforms by any measure, ticket prices get a bit cheaper and get snapped up by desperate people who haven't seen a live game for years. lots of leeway. my sense in Philly is that they've lost the plot, and not only do not sell out, but are searching for ways to sell themselves...so they need a sell-able identity...what is the identity being sold locally!!! because from afar it looks like half-wit shenangigans!!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Please, by all means, quote where people are saying they don't want physicality on the 4th line or they want a lineup full of Vorobyovs. Prove me wrong.

I'll wait.
It's certainly the impression I get given the constant mockery of physical 4th liners, which now includes Roussel.

adding Roussel to camp doesn't change at all the intensity of the camp, and the desire to win roster spots. he's just one guy after all, and all the players know what's at stake.

what it does add is the concept that being a goon-ish type as opposed to anything else is looked upon favourably by management, and that they're testing you in that quadrant of the necessary skill-set. as if this was the difference between winning and losing any kind of self-imposed battle the Flyers management chose to set.

moronic approach. it's definitely an approach, but not one I would advocate for this thin thin roster. EDIT: Unless, as I asked about above, that the home box-office might get a boost from a return to the BSB's. Which would be a valid reason to bump the physical play from NHL average to to NHL leading, with this sad lineup.
It does change the dynamic of camp when you add someone who has been one of the league's best pricks for a decade and see how players competing for roster spots respond to it.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
That's the popular opinion this board. Physicality in 4th liners is frowned upon. They'd rather have a 4th line of Vorobyovs.

I'm fine with a little physicality! I like players who provide energy...we don't need 3 or 4 of these players. That's all.

Roussel was the best of both worlds in 2015, we would have all been cool with this. I just don't think he's needed right now.

Reactions: BernieParent

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It does change the dynamic of camp when you add someone who has been one of the league's best pricks for a decade and see how players competing for roster spots respond to it.
I really doubt that's the reasoning, tbh. Roussel's probably Fletcher's definition of a bargain.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The same people fighting for Roussel try out are the same people critical of NAK penalties for being too physical. You can't make this sh** up.
The problem with NAK wasn't being too physical, it was being Rinaldo stupid.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's certainly the impression I get given the constant mockery of physical 4th liners, which now includes Roussel.

The problem isn't that they're physical, it's that they're shitty players. The physicality is the only thing they provide, and you cannot win games like that. On its own, as a players primary skill, it's a loser skill.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I want some of the meds... share please. We have seen this story...
Torts has the same MO at his stops, he's brutally honest with his players and the media, and jumps on the stars as hard as the scrubs.

If he plays the "try hard" guys, it's because he wants to set the tone for the team, but as his former players are quick to point out, he expects the stars to forecheck and the scrubs to try and generate offense. The accountability is the same, even when the talent differs.

Reality says you can't just pick 12 forwards and be content, 2-3 will be injured at some point.
But that's why there are two groups at LHV:
1) NHL ready but limited, Brown, MacEwen, Marody, Brooks, Willman, Seeler, Connaughton, Belpido
1b) Sandin, Hogdson, more upside but too old to be given prospect leeway
2) NHL upside but inexperienced, Foerster, Lycksell, Wisdom, Desnoyers, Zamula, Attard, Hogberg, Wylie, Ersson

The second group are players you don't want to yo-yo, when they ready, you want to bring them up to stay.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I really doubt that's the reasoning, tbh. Roussel's probably Fletcher's definition of a bargain.
I think the reasoning is to see if he can make the team. Because he used to be a very effective player. But an ancillary benefit is seeing how the players he's competing with react to one of the best pests in recent NHL history.

Reactions: Rebel247 and TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think the reasoning is to see if he can make the team. Because he used to be a very effective player. But an ancillary benefit is seeing how the players he's competing with react to one of the best pests in recent NHL history.
I never liked him, but I have to admit that he was a very effective player in his prime. But is he still that player? There's a reason he played for Arizona last year and not even they appear to want him back.
Just seems like a waste of time to me, especially when you already signed Deslaurier.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

I'm sorry, where in that post does it say they don't want physicality on the 4th line? You know, the thing you claimed we are all saying? I don't see it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I have zero problems with a tough team, that plays with an edge - and aggressive hockey. I'd love that. The biggest problem remains a lack of top end young creative talent. Continuing to try to block opportunity for kids season, after season - or whats clearly an overt focus on effort/physicality is dumb.

Get the talent first, do everything possible to draft/develop it. Then fill in the gaps. Blocking kids with ND, MacEwen, or possibly Roussel is weird.
If any of these kids had any real potential I'd be more upset. Also if Connor Bedard wasn't at the top of this draft I would be more upset. Honestly though there isn't a single prospect we have that seems like they would be anything better than a middle six guy. Farabee probably can be considered a top six guy rather than middle six. York I don't think anyone would expect him to be better than second pairing guy (same with Zamula, Attard, etc.) unless he plays above what we would expect. Frost, Brink, and Foerster do not look like anything special. Gauthier maybe a one-dimensional top liner if he hits his potential which is nice but I'd not hold my breath on that happening because that's how we roll here in Philly. Roussel blocking Foerster for minutes on the 4th line doesn't make a difference to me, especially this year.

Eat shit. Embarass the franchise. Draft Bedard. Ed Snider will thank Fletcher in the afterlife for his failings when Connor Bedard's number is raised to the rafters and the Flyers win like five Cups in a row.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I know you are being sarcastic, but I think to a certain extent adding players who are difficult to play against is not a bad thing. Being tough and heavy hitting and such isn't bad, as long as you can actually play. The problem is they don't have the guys that can play so adding the guys that can do the beat 'em up stuff is not helpful. You want to have a couple heavy hitting defensemen, I'm on board. You want some guys like that will drop the gloves and lay dudes out? Sign me up. But there has to be guys that can carry the workload when these guy make their mistakes. We simply don't have that. We have Sean Couturier who when healthy is one guy that can do that. The rest of the team is not. They suck. Our prospects suck. Our veterans suck. The team sucks. All we have to look forward to is hopefully getting a lucky bounce and winding up with Connor Bedard.
I'm on record as thinking they'll be better than the board consensus. 86ish points, and maybe even better if a few young guys really step up.

But considering they aren't a team loaded with high-end talent, why not at least make teams hate to play against you? You can steal wins that way just from other teams not wanting to have to put up the effort, and it sure makes it more watchable for fans in the absence of star power.

I'm sorry, where in that post does it say they don't want physicality on the 4th line? You know, the thing you claimed we are all saying? I don't see it.
1663610771861.png

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I never liked him, but I have to admit that he was a very effective player in his prime. But is he still that player? There's a reason he played for Arizona last year and not even they appear to want him back.
Just seems like a waste of time to me, especially when you already signed Deslaurier.
He played for Arizona because he had a $3M contract. He's not a $3M player anymore, but he sure might be a $900K player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a PTO, not a contract. Let's not get carried away.
The only way I see him being signed if he got into the hot tub way back machine and showed up as 27 year old Roussel, not the version from last season.

What would be interesting is if Ratcliffe shows up at camp much improved, and impresses in exhibition games, now you got an issue, if he looks that good, he won't get through waivers and deserves a chance to start. But I won't hold my breath waiting for the new, improved Ratcliffe to show up.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'm on record as thinking they'll be better than the board consensus. 86ish points, and maybe even better if a few young guys really step up.

But considering they aren't a team loaded with high-end talent, why not at least make teams hate to play against you? You can steal wins that way just from other teams not wanting to have to put up the effort, and it sure makes it more watchable for fans in the absence of star power.

View attachment 586155
So in summary, you tried to call people on this board out for something they never said.

Straw. Man. Argument. Talk about tilting at windmills.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

View attachment 586155
Oh believe me I am totally on board with this. Both because they will suck more and we are more likely to get Bedard, and because I would rather watch the team fail while fighting all the damn time than watch them fail playing boring hockey. I am a BIG believer in the "difficult to play against" camp. Like I said, in other situations, I think adding a guy like Roussel is not a bad thing...this just isn't that situation. So it is a bad thing from a "let's try and win more games" standpoint, but good from a "we'll suck more so we have a better chance at getting Bedard and DFF will be happy when someone goes Happy Gilmore and tries to slice someone with their skate" standpoint.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There’s nothing really to salvage anymore with this roster. But even if they do collect some more high picks in these next few years how do you have any faith in this front office to surround those players with enough meaningful depth?

The dumb signings aren’t gonna stop when Fletcher gets tossed to the side of the road as long as the guys above him are still here. That’s not a defense of Fletcher as he’s a total bozo himself but that’s why he was hired in the first place because he thinks like Clarke, Homer, & Lombardi. They’re just going to hire another like minded person as long as they’re in control of the hiring process again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad