Prospects who have stagnated.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Filip Mesar..
Other than the hot start in the OHL his draft year, he went long stretches of being invisible. And to top it off had a weak playoff.
This year however, he looked much more engaged game to game and was quite productive in the playoffs.

I'm not sure he fits the bill for "players who have stagnated".

I do agree with your assessment though. He just looks like a really good transition player and that's about it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Saying Dalibor Dvorsky stalled is a ridiculous take. After leaving a SHL team whose only concern was winning now to avoid relegation thus stapled him to the bench for 57 minutes a game, he absolutely dominated at Sudbury. He's got a chance to earn a roster spot out of camp. That's the high end of the trajectory we expected from him when we drafted him.
Much like expected, Dvorsky has been assigned to the AHL. With multiple pre-season games left it didn't seem like he even made it a difficult decision.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Much like expected, Dvorsky has been assigned to the AHL. With multiple pre-season games left it didn't seem like he even made it a difficult decision.
I know you're trying to play 'gotcha' because you're oddly hung up on Dvorksy's development being a failure, but there's not a single person who didn't see the progression from OHL>AHL as the most likely outcome.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I know you're trying to play 'gotcha' because you're oddly hung up on Dvorksy's development being a failure, but there's not a single person who didn't see the progression from OHL>AHL as the most likely outcome.
So many people here think 19-20 years old should all be impact NHL players. In fact, there are only a handful of these and they don't always end up having the best NHL career either.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You should stop trying to create false narratives. I literally said this:
On the positive side I think you can hope for a development like the one Brad Lambert has had so far. Where he's got a bad track record at the pro level, but takes a step back to juniors and then bounces back with a strong AHL year.
I do think you're tripping a bit if you think Dvorsky has NHL potential this upcoming season however.
In no way is it a failure to go to the AHL. You were simply overrating his immediate potential for NHL impact, like several of us tried to say.

So many people here think 19-20 years old should all be impact NHL players. In fact, there are only a handful of these and they don't always end up having the best NHL career either.
Maybe 0.1% of prospects should be in the NHL at 19. It's almost never the best development path.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To be fair Honzek is exactly the concept of this thread the way OP defined it: players who aren't busts but have stagnated. You could say he is proving this to a T. His last season was a deep slumber at best yet it's clear now he is by no means a bust.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd say Drew Helleson fits the criteria. 2nd rounder who was supposed to be more of safe pick, if not with the greatest upside. Progressed well through three college seasons following his draft, signed at the end of his college season in D+3 (after being traded to ANA with a 2nd round pick for Josh Manson) and saw significant AHL time that year (17 regular season games and two in the playoffs).

2022/23 (D+4) was his first full season as a pro, he had the usual rookie defenseman growing pains in the AHL but showed well enough to earn a three game NHL debut at season's end, where most of us agreed he handled himself quite well.

This past season (D+5) you would have expected him to step up and solidify his status as an NHL option, having a full pro season and NHL debut under his belt. He did deal with a couple injuries, one that had him out for a couple weeks shortly into the new year and another that made him miss a month from late Feb to late March (possibly preventing an NHL call up when the Ducks moved Lybushkin).

Nonetheless, it doesn't speak well to Helleson's development this season, that he saw zero NHL time as a D+5 23 year old, for a bad team that gave significant minutes to several younger D (Mintyukov, Luneau, Lacombe, Zellweger) and two waiver pickups (Lagesson/Lindstrom). I think it's safe to say he's plateaued to some degree and has reached a bit of a make or break point for this coming year, where he will be turning 24 and completing his ELC.

Still not looking like a threat to make the team here in pre season

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Couple of Sabres players who seem to have hit their ceilings.

Brett Murray - Will never be more than an AHL player. Unfortunate but true
Lukas Rousek - 13th/14th forward at best, likely in Europe next year
Tyson Kozak - was a surprise in D+1, and then moved to the AHL. Injuries have stalled his development and I dont think there is an NHL player there.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
To be fair Honzek is exactly the concept of this thread the way OP defined it: players who aren't busts but have stagnated. You could say he is proving this to a T. His last season was a deep slumber at best yet it's clear now he is by no means a bust.

Honzek never fit the thread at all.

It was his D+1 year and he got hurt multiple times. He never even got the chance to stagnate. He didn't magically stop stagnating over the summer he just got healthy.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Just shows the gap between the SHL and the CHL and I think the phrase "absolutely dominates" is a bit excessive.

Not necessarily. Wes Clark said it best when asked if they value prospects playing against men over juniors, and he scoffed at the question. Said it doesn’t matter and it’s true. If it were, we’d see way more good players coming out of the pro leagues in Europe and ncaa, but we don’t. The CHL is also a more skilled league than the SHL, despite the age differences. Lots of mid 20’s guys in the SHL who have very little skill. The CHL is by far the best development league in the world, and he was playing with players with more skill than anyone else on his SHL team. There was nobody on his team with the talent level of a Musty and Goyette. The infatuation with playing against men is crazy to me, as it has never been a good indicator of future NHL success. We just saw 19 Canadian kids go in the first round, 17 of them play in the CHL, so NHL teams as a whole don’t view it nearly as valuable as fans do.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I can't stop thinking of Tyson Jost here. Leaves college much much too early. Reasonable rookie year. Then completely stagnates.
He’s a good example of rushing a prospect too early and the shiny new toy syndrome. A good lesson for those who want the NHL CHL agreement abolished as well. Rushing players too early almost always leads to a bust, and you don’t need to rush your players to the AHL too soon either, just because you’re bored of your current roster and want to see the newest prospects sooner. Colorado avalanche should not make this mistake with Cal Ritchie this year!

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Elmer Soderblom. Hasn't found a killer instinct to combine with his size and skill. Likely Europe bound in a season or two it seems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad