Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Sorry gfrolek, the guys wonder why I go into a rage come draft time, I was just giving some examples of why. Seems to not matter what GM we have, we always seem to screw up at the draft, or just have plain old bad luck. The scary thing is, how could a regular old fan like myself see it happen yet the GMs can't. For instance, a lot of were in shock the Isles drafted Niederreiter instead of Cam Fowler, seems like another draft blunder.

I was certain it was going to be Fowler as well. I was fine with Nino as well but they screwed him up twice. The first was his "rookie" year(which I refuse to call it that because Reasoner and Pandolfo were so god awful that they really brought the kid down) and the second was the lockout. He deserved that spot way more than Colin Mcdonald. He would've even been a much better addition to that line than him.

But enough about Nino, man Fowler would have looked good on this team.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Sorry gfrolek, the guys wonder why I go into a rage come draft time, I was just giving some examples of why. Seems to not matter what GM we have, we always seem to screw up at the draft, or just have plain old bad luck. The scary thing is, how could a regular old fan like myself see it happen yet the GMs can't. For instance, a lot of were in shock the Isles drafted Niederreiter instead of Cam Fowler, seems like another draft blunder.

Another instance was when Filatov was passed over.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Watched Pokka's last playoff game (4-0 sweep) we have to do everything to get this kid to North America. I believe this kid could jump to the NHL next season, he's that good. I just want to get him over to the Islanders asap to add more depth to the team, even if it's to Bridgeport to get used to the ice and be ready for a call up. Pokka is so calm and controlled in his own zone, he's a great defender who understands angles and how to separate guys from the puck, so smart. Can't wait to watch him more regularly.

We are ridiculously stacked with defensive prospects, Bridgeport should have a great defense next season which makes the Isles stronger with the possibility of call ups when anyone goes down so the Isles don't miss a beat, much like the Pens have done this season. Is it strange I'm excited about next season?!?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Watched Pokka's last playoff game (4-0 sweep) we have to do everything to get this kid to North America. I believe this kid could jump to the NHL next season, he's that good. I just want to get him over to the Islanders asap to add more depth to the team, even if it's to Bridgeport to get used to the ice and be ready for a call up.

We are ridiculously stacked with defensive prospects.

Agreed on all counts. That's why I think 2 things may happen in the offseason:

1) At the draft, we draft mostly forwards and maybe 2 goalies (hopefully good ones this time). IF Ekblad is available when we draft, I would hope they would be smart enough to draft him, and then all forwards and 2 goalies.

2) We may use some of those assets (tons of d-men) as part of package deals to make trades. Hopefully we trade the right ones, I'd hate to see a McDonogh type of situation happen (we trade a dmen who becomes an allstar).

Imagine:

de haan-Hamonic
Ekblad-Pokka
Pulock-Reinhart

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Went over to the Oilers board and checked out the Oil Kings thread. Asked about Reinhart and I got these 2 responses:

Reiner has been dominant from whaty I've seen. I've attenced both home games.

Reinhart has that big body presence on the ice. He's a monster. New York Islander fans should be VERY EXCITED. THIS KID IS THE REAL DEAL. WOW.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Went over to the Oilers board and checked out the Oil Kings thread. Asked about Reinhart and I got these 2 responses:

PW, check post 689, responded to your previous post.
Griff rendered Draisaitl useless last night, he got tired of Griff's physical play and cross checked Griff in the back late in the second, Griff kept his cool though he had a few words for him. Edmonton turned the game into an easy win in the third period.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Awesome. When's the last time we've had an actual Dominant defenseman ? Then the JCJet comes in and says Pulock looks dominant as well. And Pokka is playing well against men. Very excited about those 3.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Awesome. When's the last time we've had an actual Dominant defenseman ? Then the JCJet comes in and says Pulock looks dominant as well. And Pokka is playing well against men. Very excited about those 3.

Just from listening to the Brandon broadcast it seemed like Pulock had some bite to his game last night.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Agreed on all counts. That's why I think 2 things may happen in the offseason:

1) At the draft, we draft mostly forwards and maybe 2 goalies (hopefully good ones this time). IF Ekblad is available when we draft, I would hope they would be smart enough to draft him, and then all forwards and 2 goalies.

2) We may use some of those assets (tons of d-men) as part of package deals to make trades. Hopefully we trade the right ones, I'd hate to see a McDonogh type of situation happen (we trade a dmen who becomes an allstar).

Imagine:

de haan-Hamonic
Ekblad-Pokka
Pulock-Reinhart

Every time I watch Pokka he seems to have improved. His skating is getting to the point it just doesn't seem a problem anymore, it never was a huge deal to me, although we'll see what it's like in North America soon enough, it's just something that he could keep improving. But his decision making and ability to make the right pass every time out of his own zone is just so smooth, it's hard to explain.

It's like de Haan uses his great skating to position himself to make great passes or get out of sticky situations, Pokka uses his brains to be in the right position and angle to make a tape to tape pass, it's beautiful.

Going into dream mode, if we were to draft Ekblad and all these guys are who we thought they are, I'd be super interested in putting Pokka with de Haan long term. Reinhart with Hamonic to work together long term and become a legit number 1 shut down pair. Then put Ekblad and Pulock together for the cherry on top.....man what a dream, it would be amazing to sit back and watch 3 capable pairs of Islanders defense playing time in most if not all situations and not having to shelter pairs :handclap:

Back to reality haha, I just want Pokka over in North America playing so you guys can watch him and see we've got a gem regardless of him making the NHL next year or being put in Bridgeport, which is frankly the more likely outcome. This guy is becoming flat out dominant in the SM-Liiga at 19 years old and is helping Karpat dominate the league. I fully expect Karpat to win the playoffs and then at that point Pokka will not be able to do anymore in Finland and move on to the next phase in North America.

He turns 20 in June and the thing that Pokka needs to work on this summer, other than just continuing to improve his skating, is bulk up more. He's 6'0/6'1 but only around 190lbs, he would benefit having more weight on his frame to be help benefit him to battle in the corners.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

1000% agree. With de Haan and Hamonic already in the NHL looking the part the boost these defensive prospects could give the Isles is flat out scary. Training camp is going to be really interesting because people forget the Isles coaching staff and front office we're blown away by Pulock who completely surprised them last summer to the point they had a debate about keeping him in the NHL this year.

Now with Reinhart having already made an impression last year as well and potentially Pokka coming over this summer (fingers crossed that happens) along with Pelech signing and Mayfield looking good in Bridgeport, training camp is going to be really competitive for roster spots for the first time on defense in as long as I can remember.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I still think we're going to regret not taking Zadorov, but I'm glad to hear to hear Pulock is doing well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For you PW will give it a try, there is really no right or wrong answer. As you know I follow progress not make predictions.

We understand there is no Denis Potvin, here.
The three leading candidates,CDH, Poulock and Reinhart. Any of the three could be number one, a case can be made for each. The way this looks down the line, the effectiveness of the gruop is more of a story than just one player yet who knows who emerges if you want to rank who is number one.

Since you asked, will go with Griff. We know he won' t produce the most offense but I think he may be anchor. Key on the penalty kill, some powerplay time, probably on the second unit. When protecting leads late in the game, you want him on the ice much as possible. Of the defenseman over the season, Griff may be the one who will gets the most ice time. He may not be the conventional number one, but he can have an impact in a game even if he does not get any points.

Calvin has been outstanding and he is just getting started, more good things to come. Pulock needs a little work defebsively and on his mobilty, he skates well straight ahead. Nothing fatal, he is the kind who could come on quickly.

You like Calvin, I picked Griff, someone may like Pulock. Each one have important qualities, so will not argue if anyone wants to post their favorite.

Surprised I missed this.

Pretty bang on analysis DRex, as expected.

I'm very high on all 3 players as well and pretty much feel the same as you do. I just prefer CdH because we've seen similar d-men like him around the league and most of them are quite impressive. He also has the best set of offensive tools of all the d-men IMO. I see him leading the charge when it's all said and done because he can pretty much shelter anyone on the team... including Hamonic when they are together. His ability to escape trouble with basically no heart beat is impressive and his 1st pass (and passing ability in general) is sublime.

I agree Reinhart will likely never get the pub and you have to watch for the subtleties to his game to truly appreciate how good he really is. I think over the years, there will be many who will always want more out of him offensively and that's really not his game. He's as unflashy as you can pretty much get in a good way. If he continues to impose his will physically on others like he's been doing lately... I may change my mind.

Pulock is the wild card. Just for his shot alone, it could be one of the deadliest weapons in the NHL because the kid can launch it. He launches it, but he seems to be able to control it too which is pretty damn scary. When he's on, goalies aren't going to be able to do much when he unleashes a 100 mph slapper and it picks the corner. When he's off, he's going to do some serious damage to a lot of shins of opposing players. I also like that he's a leader and has high hockey intelligence, he could conceivably be the best out of the group.

As you alluded to, you really can't go wrong with any one of them. They are all very different players with different skillsets. I personally LOVE that all of them score very high in hockey IQ, the smart players tend to figure out things and have the ability to adapt. Adding Hamonic to the mix, it's a very solid and well rounded group where all will be able to play in all situations. We may not have a Doughty (or could we?), but having a top-4 with guys that all could be solid #2 types... I love the thought of having such a deep group.

I think CdH and Pulock will likely be our #1PP unit and Reinhart-Hamonic will be our #1PK in time. I can't speak for Pulock's PK abilities, but CdH has shown that he's no slouch there too. I don't think he'll be a crease clearer, but he won't need to with Hamonic and Reinhart bringing the physicality. Not to mention people like Mayfield and possibly Pedan who both bring size and nastiness.

I know we like to day dream about the defense group, but it's not like any of them are pimple faced kids right out of the Draft. I'm also quite happy that all 4 of them were Captains for the respective Jr. teams, character and leadership anyone? It's funny how things turn out, but it's looking very much like our defense could be the backbone of this team for many years to come. Johnny should be smiling about that.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Watched Pokka's last playoff game (4-0 sweep) we have to do everything to get this kid to North America. I believe this kid could jump to the NHL next season, he's that good. I just want to get him over to the Islanders asap to add more depth to the team, even if it's to Bridgeport to get used to the ice and be ready for a call up. Pokka is so calm and controlled in his own zone, he's a great defender who understands angles and how to separate guys from the puck, so smart. Can't wait to watch him more regularly.

We are ridiculously stacked with defensive prospects, Bridgeport should have a great defense next season which makes the Isles stronger with the possibility of call ups when anyone goes down so the Isles don't miss a beat, much like the Pens have done this season. Is it strange I'm excited about next season?!?

Sounds good, but gaps close a lot faster on the small rinks here...what can you tell us about his physicality and ability to avoid getting separated from the puck...I'm thinking the NHL forechecking is going to have something to say here.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sounds good, but gaps close a lot faster on the small rinks here...what can you tell us about his physicality and ability to avoid getting separated from the puck...I'm thinking the NHL forechecking is going to have something to say here.

Pokka will need adjustment time to the smaller ice for sure, but I don't worry too much about it. The kid is clearly smart and plays a very quiet and cerebral game. I remember that his 1st pass was considered to be possibly the best out of his draft class and he's shown it since then. He doesn't get the attention of our N.A. defense prospects, but he could be a really good one. I kind of consider him a wild card and a bonus because we barely know anything about him due to him being overseas. We're kind of stacked with d-men prospects right now (if you consider CdH still a prospect, then it's really looking good), Pokka is like the cherry on top.

Do we really need to add Ekblad to this group? Of course we do, but it's not life or death IMO.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

He took a few huge hits recently because he's basically became the golden boy over in Karpat with forwards seeing him as a bit of a target. I don't see him having any problems on the puck in North America because he doesn't take risks, he just makes great decisions and picks the right pass all the time. It's only right that you guys are skeptical of him because he's just a guy who was drafted by the Isles and you barely ever see. But I'm really excited by what this kid is producing in Finland.

Pokka will need adjustment time to the smaller ice for sure, but I don't worry too much about it. The kid is clearly smart and plays a very quiet and cerebral game. I remember that his 1st pass was considered to be possibly the best out of his draft class and he's shown it since then. He doesn't get the attention of our N.A. defense prospects, but he could be a really good one. I kind of consider him a wild card and a bonus because we barely know anything about him due to him being overseas. We're kind of stacked with d-men prospects right now (if you consider CdH still a prospect, then it's really looking good), Pokka is like the cherry on top.

Do we really need to add Ekblad to this group? Of course we do, but it's not life or death IMO.

Personally, the way I look at our defensive prospects is that we have so many high end guys that I can't see some of them not fulfilling their potential and being difference makers in the NHL. Let's say Reinhart and Pokka reach their potential, we'd have our top 4 long term locked in with de Haan and Hamonic. I don't recall to many franchises over the years that have had so many high end prospects all at the same time. Most would have stand out guys years apart but ours all seem to be 19/20 which is exciting to me because the competition through training camp and roster spots is going to be intense to make the Isles roster. Even competition for ice time in Bridgeport won't be easy with the likes of Mayfield, Pedan, Donovan, Ness, Pelech etc possibly in Bridgeport.

Exciting times ahead in my eyes.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Surprised I missed this.

Pretty bang on analysis DRex, as expected.

I'm very high on all 3 players as well and pretty much feel the same as you do. I just prefer CdH because we've seen similar d-men like him around the league and most of them are quite impressive. He also has the best set of offensive tools of all the d-men IMO. I see him leading the charge when it's all said and done because he can pretty much shelter anyone on the team... including Hamonic when they are together. His ability to escape trouble with basically no heart beat is impressive and his 1st pass (and passing ability in general) is sublime.

I agree Reinhart will likely never get the pub and you have to watch for the subtleties to his game to truly appreciate how good he really is. I think over the years, there will be many who will always want more out of him offensively and that's really not his game. He's as unflashy as you can pretty much get in a good way. If he continues to impose his will physically on others like he's been doing lately... I may change my mind.

Pulock is the wild card. Just for his shot alone, it could be one of the deadliest weapons in the NHL because the kid can launch it. He launches it, but he seems to be able to control it too which is pretty damn scary. When he's on, goalies aren't going to be able to do much when he unleashes a 100 mph slapper and it picks the corner. When he's off, he's going to do some serious damage to a lot of shins of opposing players. I also like that he's a leader and has high hockey intelligence, he could conceivably be the best out of the group.

As you alluded to, you really can't go wrong with any one of them. They are all very different players with different skillsets. I personally LOVE that all of them score very high in hockey IQ, the smart players tend to figure out things and have the ability to adapt. Adding Hamonic to the mix, it's a very solid and well rounded group where all will be able to play in all situations. We may not have a Doughty (or could we?), but having a top-4 with guys that all could be solid #2 types... I love the thought of having such a deep group.

I think CdH and Pulock will likely be our #1PP unit and Reinhart-Hamonic will be our #1PK in time. I can't speak for Pulock's PK abilities, but CdH has shown that he's no slouch there too. I don't think he'll be a crease clearer, but he won't need to with Hamonic and Reinhart bringing the physicality. Not to mention people like Mayfield and possibly Pedan who both bring size and nastiness.

I know we like to day dream about the defense group, but it's not like any of them are pimple faced kids right out of the Draft. I'm also quite happy that all 4 of them were Captains for the respective Jr. teams, character and leadership anyone? It's funny how things turn out, but it's looking very much like our defense could be the backbone of this team for many years to come. Johnny should be smiling about that.

You may have missed the post because I could not respond until late yesterday afternoon, had to get back to class.

The most common denominator of the group is the hockey sense, other than Mayfield (who needs to play a very simple defensive game and not try to do too much which he has done for Bridgeport).

Excellent left-right mix, most teams with good D prospects are usually heavy on one side.

We talk how hard Pulock can fire the puck, what should be brought up that he has variety. He can slap, one time or wrist, all with a quick release and accuracy. Makes him just a bit harder to defend since he has more than one way to get it done.

It's almost like no matter how you mix the left-right into pairs, you can't make a big mistake.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That's a great point DREX. We have great Balance on D as far as right and left goes. We also have a good mix of different types. Couple of Big Bruisers some PMD and a couple with offensive skills.

What I like about our top guys( Reinhart Pulock Pokka Pelech) they can all play a 2way game. Pelech is the only one I think we be mostly defensive but still have offensive capibilities. Pelech reminds me of Hamonic.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You may have missed the post because I could not respond until late yesterday afternoon, had to get back to class.

The most common denominator of the group is the hockey sense, other than Mayfield (who needs to play a very simple defensive game and not try to do too much which he has done for Bridgeport).

Excellent left-right mix, most teams with good D prospects are usually heavy on one side.

We talk how hard Pulock can fire the puck, what should be brought up that he has variety. He can slap, one time or wrist, all with a quick release and accuracy. Makes him just a bit harder to defend since he has more than one way to get it done.

It's almost like no matter how you mix the left-right into pairs, you can't make a big mistake.

This is what gets me really excited. Hamonic, CdH, Reinhart, and Pulock look like they all have the ability to lead their pairing. You can even add Pokka into the mix with that ability. Teams are all constructed differently and a competent coaching staff could just mix and match based solely on skillset before each game and not miss a beat.

I personally see a CdH-Hamonic, Reinhart-Pulock for the majority of games, but you lose almost nothing and gain a matchup advantage by switching things up when needed. Hamonic-Reinhart could match up against the top lines of big, physical teams and go power on power. CdH-Pulock could matchup against smaller teams and go, go, go in terms of offensive activation.

Depending on injuries, split them all up and pair 1st pair guys with 3rd pair guys, etc. May not seem like too big of a deal now, but in the playoffs and differently constructed teams in every round - we'd be equipped defensively to either lessen or increase certain matchups so we come out on top. I love that thought the most.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I still think we're going to regret not taking Zadorov, but I'm glad to hear to hear Pulock is doing well.

Maybe, but don't underestimate the value of a big RH shot on the point on the PP. One-timer options both at the point and from forwards along the side-boards is what makes a PP really tick.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Good read on the Oil Kings Playoff series(Reinhart)

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-edmonton-now-must-try-to-do-likewise-in-p-a/

"Reinhart showed his chops as a shutdown defender time and again, shutting down time and space in both the defensive and neutral zones, tipping shots and passes out of danger, and getting the puck to the “good ice” to allow the Oil Kings to get play going the other way. He took off with it himself a time or two, and showed his range with a couple of booming checks, including one on the Raiders star forward in the opening minutes of the series. A lot of Reinhart’s game is pretty subtle, but I have zero doubt that he is going to be a very good (though likely underrated) NHL defenceman for a lot of years. Big, smart, and reliable."

Awesome

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I just can't wait to see what our 1st PP unit looks like once Pulock cracks the NHL: de Haan as the QB. Pulock on the left, drawing defenders over due to his slapper. Lee parked in front of the net. Throw in Tavares and Strome and that could end up being pretty lethal... even with Weight as the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad