Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

This deserves a thread, given the impact for the Leafs moving forward. Terrific news, cap predicted to rise $2.5 million to $6.7 million for next season.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Excellent news.
Will be interesting to see who Dubas over spends on.
I’m more interested to see who the new fair value contract fans cry about is. First nylander, then matthews both worked themselves out of it. The current whipping boy is starting to be marner.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m more interested to see who the new fair value contract fans cry about is. First nylander, then matthews both worked themselves out of it. The current whipping boy is starting to be marner.
My guess is Barrie and/or Ceci.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bad news for the Leafs in their hopes to sign Pietrangelo if St. Louis gets some extra cap space. They can hang onto both AP and Parayko now most likely.
True, but it also gives us a lot of latitude to pursue other big fish options. Trade cap constraints eliminated.

Reactions: kb
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Bad news for the Leafs in their hopes to sign Pietrangelo if St. Louis gets some extra cap space. They can hang onto both AP and Parayko now most likely.

Personally, I think it makes it even more likely that AP sees what's out there...

Reactions: qqaz

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Great news. It should give the Leafs management a lot more options.

Even making a trade will be easier because they won't be as close to the cap ceiling.

Hopefully they can make a nice cheap signing on D, and also pick up Pietrangelo... but I doubt that'll happen. I don't want to bother getting my hopes up.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is obviously extremely welcome news for the Leafs.

$78m tied up in 18 players. Johnsson gone and Mikeheyev extended will probably save $2m, giving them $9m to spend on a defenceman, Dermott or replacement, and 3 bottom of the lineup guys.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The cap is bailing him out, dependent on how the NHLPA deals with the escrow issue moving forward.

Is it still bailing out if they were pretty sure this was coming?

All signs point(ed) to the cap rising, and probably significantly over the next few years. Might explain the 'willy-nilly' spending habits, too.

Reactions: Bluelines

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
More likely... upper management knew the cap was likely to go up significantly. Hell, i knew that. It’s been rumoured to go up for a while now.

This -- although I still have problems with both the Marner and Matthews deals because of the term and comparables.

If you look at the salary cap history over the last 6 years, the average increase is just under $3m a season. They only increased $2m last year, so are theoretically "due" for an increase of about $4m.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
More likely... upper management knew the cap was likely to go up significantly. Hell, i knew that. It’s been rumoured to go up for a while now.
Didn’t they literally hire a guy who helped write the cba? I don’t see how people can’t realize dubas is methodical in everything.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Personally, I think it makes it even more likely that AP sees what's out there...
At the end of the day, Pietro is only coming here if he wants to come here. He's a local bit and that could well be the case. If he's chasing $$$ though it won't be in Toronto. If he wants to take a fair deal to play in Toronto, we'll gladly take him.

Reactions: Forgotusername

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
"But the cap is going to fall/stagnate, and we're doomed! DOOMED!!"

:laugh:
I would not laugh too hard yet. It was same message last year but the low estimate was $1.5M too high. Why? Because the numbers sucked in the playoffs and the players balked at the escrow holdback increase. With coronavirus and depending on Leafs it might be same old same old. The players will take same position again. It is all about getting escrow holdback down to contract level.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Doubt Ceci gets Re signed. Just too much money for a 3rd pairing d.
I agree. Although I do think Ceci is going to have to take a pay cut wherever he plays next year. I’d be willing to sign him to a team friendly deal still. Something under 3 mill. Otherwise, good riddance.

Reactions: The90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad