Prospect Info: Primer for 10th Overall by Devils HFBoards Scouts

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
With the draft quickly approaching, and the official 2024 NHL Draft Thread 80+ pages deep, @StevenToddIves, @Guadana, and I wanted to put together a feature post on who we might select with the 10th pick. We realized that, for as much as we've talked about these players, nothing has ever been consolidated into one, accesssible location, and with more and more fans starting to jump in on the discussion now, it would be impossible to expect anyone to review the previous 2,000 posts that were made.

We have taken the 15 likeliest options for our selection and put them together in a consolidated ranking. It's not so much that we believe all these names should be included, or that there aren't other challengers who could also go in this range; rather, given our position and the general consensus on the class, these are the ones we think are most worth keeping in mind.

In terms of top end talent, three players have been excluded: Celebrini, who is the obvious, runaway 1OA selection, Demidov, who, regardless of where he's picked, is the obvious, runaway 2nd best player in the class, and Levshunov, who none of us actually think is the best defender or 3rd best player in the class, but simply has no chance of making it to our selection.

Our objective is not just to give a quick overview of the 15 players, but to also define what each of them would mean to the Devils specifically. So many of our discussions are primarily focused on how the player projects: what he does well, what he needs to work on, what will translate, what won't, and so on. We believe this thread is a great opportunity to now also factor in roster composition, competitive window, individual preference, etc. You know those Athletic pieces where Corey Pronman and Scott Wheeler go back and forth on mock draft selections? That's sort of the inspiration here.

We hope this is a help not just to the fellow draft fans who have been participating in these discussions all along, but to any others who are looking for a quick primer on what to expect come next Friday. Although none of us expected to be in this position again, there's still plenty of reason to be excited about the high end, cost-controlled talent we can add to the core. And one last request, particularly now that we dealt for Markstrom, let's please keep the discussion on using the pick, not moving it.

C/RW Cayden Lindstrom, Medicine Hat, WHL
STI - My pipe dream pick for the Devils, but the odds of Lindstrom falling to #10 are probably only lightly higher than my odds of having the ghost of Nostradamus come to my room tonight and tell me the winning lotto numbers.

GUA - Lindstrom would be my second pick even if I see Demidov as the only alternative for the first overall. Very rare combination of very big very physical forward with good skating, speed, manipulative stickhandling, very good shot and interior game, Lindstrom can find rebound, redirect the puck, win net battles and screen goalies. With all the skills to play on the rush. He will not be available.

EVN - Could you get a better fit for the roster than this? Elite compete, physicality, and interior play. Fantastic speed, handling, and scoring upside. Every major concern about his game (C vs W projection, lack of high end vision/playmaking, etc.) vanishes when placed on our roster in a supporting power forward role. The only major drawback would be the outlook of his injured back which, if he's making it to our selection, would be a legitimate concern.

LD Zeev Buium, Denver Pioneers, NCHC
STI - Buium is the highest-IQ defender in the draft and probably the highest-upside offensive LD available, while still being very good defensively. While this might make him the best D in the class of 2024, it also clouds the possibility he will still be available at #10 overall. NJ needs LD in the system so I think you have to pick him if he's there at #10, I just strongly doubt Buium will last 9 picks.

GUA - Buium, sure, might be the most exciting selection we could make, but it also almost no possibility he will still be available at #10 overall. Young american defensemen who can be productive and reliable on defensive end in NCAA are doing quite well in NHL. Building top-4 with him would be amazing, but defenseman with his agressiveness, high hockey iq, manipulative puckhandling and great playmaking would be too attractive for teams ahead of the Devils.

EVN - If you have the opportunity to add a savvy, high end, minute-munching, two-way defender, you simply don't turn it down. Sure, this might not be the most exciting selection we could make, but we're talking a kid who has all the instincts and puck skill in the world to keep up with our core while still being able to play a chippy and competitive defensive game. I'd like to see a jump in skating next season, but he should still be hitting the NHL roster rather quickly.

LD Sam Dickinson, London Knights, OHL
STI - A 6'3-205 two-way LD with phenomenal skating and excellent two-way ability is exactly what the Devils need in the system. Unfortunately, it's also what every team needs in the system and thus doubtful will fall to #10. If he did? I think Dickinson would essentially be a no-brainer pick -- he may lack a singular elite skill, but he's pretty much high-end across the board and also offers outstanding intangibles and physical play.

GUA - I dont see many chances for Dickinson to be available. If he will be available, there are no any real reasons to not draft him - big and mobile two way defenseman for any situations, who will eat a lot of minutes. He has some issues with positional decision making, but its coachable, overall he doesnt need to be best defenseman of the team, he will need to his job and he has all the tools to do it.

EVN - In the world of defensive complements for Luke and Nemo, there may be no better match than this kid. Speedy, defense-first hockey with edge, poise, and size. Offense likely won't ever be his calling card, but there's no reason to think his shot, mobility, and timing won't allow him to be a consistent threat. Factor in that he had to play a secondary role behind Bonk all year and I think there may even be more than meets the eye; his ability to activate and slip behind defenses is genuinely impressive.

RW/C Michael Brandsegg-Nygård , Mora IK, HockeyAllsvenskan
STI - A terrific pick for NJ at #10 and a very possible one, plain and simple. The best defensive forward in the draft, the best interior forward in the draft, one of the best skating forwards in the draft, one of the best shooting forwards in the draft, one of the most physical forwards in the draft, an elite combination of hockey IQ and compete level. Outside of top-3-overall-type franchise talents, Nygard is as can't-miss as it gets. And we also must consider he excels in primarily areas of the game where our top 6 needs improvements.

GUA - People built false narrative about ceiling and floor where players with high compete level are labeled as low ceiling players. When the reality is players with high compete level and good hockey IQ are developing better than players who should learn how to be competent in 200-foot game. Especially when we are talking about physical player like Nygard who has great shot, skating and accurate passing. He is perfect partner for Jack or Nico but not as just dirty cleaner but as interior scorer and forechecking monster.

EVN - If you were to dream up the perfect addition to our top 6, I imagine this is what it would look like: a high compete, relentless forechecker with scary good defensive play and legitimate scoring upside. Might not be as individually impressive as some others in this range, but that's of little concern given the roster he'd be joining. The core is bound to need this type of player at some point anyway, might as well add a home grown version of it.

C Konsta Helenius, Jukurit, Liiga
STI - I absolutely love this player, his elite combination of smarts and heart might only trail Celebrini and Demidov in the entire draft. Even as a smallish (5'11-175) teenager in a very competitive men's league, he always seemed to be thinking three-to-four steps ahead of the play. Though lacking a singular elite quality, Helenius is literally very good at absolutely every aspect of the game, and would make a tremendous fit in a Devils organization which needs bolstering up the middle.

GUA - People love skill, people love highlights, people love attention around players. Its hard to create attention when player is finn on the smaller side with average/above average tools. The beauty of the small beast Konsta is his tool box. We saw a lot of flashy players on the draft, somehow amount of flashy players is minimal in NHL Because everybody are so good and there are not so many rooms for making wow stuff. But if player is smart - he will find out how to make an impact. Helenius is one of the smartest on the both sides of the ice. And its not like the Devils organization have centers outside Nico and Jack. As players, as prospects.

EVN - Simply put, no other player in this discussion offers us the greatest possible chance of icing the best top 9 in the league. Helenius brings a well-balanced skill set with elite brains and an underrated amount of bite to his game. This kid is everything you want in your lineup, be it even strength or special teams. If we're fortunate enough to add him, I imagine it won't take many games until people start walking back their "he's only a 3C" comments.

LW Igor Chernyshov, Dynamo Moskva, KHL
STI - The Devils need power forwards at both the pro and prospect levels, and few are as complete as Chernyshov. He's a physical and competitive bull down low who dominates the greasy areas, but he's not just that -- Chernyshov is also a complete 200-foot player with elite hands and good offensive tools across the board. He's not quite Lindstrom or Nygard in terms of pure offensive upside, however, so it's possible there will be a more attractive power forward option on the board when the Devils pick at #10, if that is the direction they choose to go.

GUA - Chernyshov could be perfect winger for Jack or Nico - he is big and physical, he is fast (~best separation speed in top-15), good skater, two way responsible, very hard in puck battles, and in the same time he is creative passer, good shooter and has may be the best puckhandling through the traffic, that is already work well against KHLers. However we will never know how fun it would be for Jack or Nico to play him because Fitz needs more control for his pick.

EVN - As a product of the MHL, we know he likely won't be the pick at 10, but that doesn't mean the fit isn't there. All this kid does is check the boxes: skating, shooting, handling, playmaking, compete, anticipation, instincts, interior play, defensive support, it's really hard to outline something he doesn't offer. Maybe some complaint about nothing really being special or a lack of progression over the course of the year, but you'd never not want to add this type of player to your roster.

LW Tij Iginla, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
STI - Let's be honest and realize the odds of Iginla getting past Calgary at #9 cannot be high. But there's nothing not to like about a high-motor, natural goal-scorer with a sick shot and tremendous hands. His ability to get off rocket shots from small areas with no time is an absolutely elite ability which will translate to any level of play.

GUA - Iginla is creative player with the puck, annoying forechecker and very flashy stickhandler with very good passing and shooting. Its better to train separation speed and especially positional game for him. But competitive nature and track of huge steps mack a promise he will figure it out.

EVN - This kid has had one of the most meteoric rises I can recall scouting, and I don't think there's a reason to believe he's slowing down anytime soon either. The shooting, small area skill, and interior drive have always been there, but we've seen phenomenal progress with his playmaking and play selection as well as the early roots of a better 200ft impact. Although he doesn't quite play like his father, he offers the exact type of forechecking game and offensive support this team would love to add to its top 6.

LD Anton Silayev, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL
STI - I'd actually like this pick even though I have reservations that Silayev is so highly regarded for his combination of 6'7 and great skating that people forget to analyze his actual game. Silayev is a very good defender however, and even though Ifind the Hedman comparisons to be patently absurd, I think he's going to be a very effective shut-down type who can add some points here and there offensively. Not my ideal for the Devils at #10, but I'd be cool with the pick because it fills a need as Nemec's future partner for a long time going forward.

GUA - Silayev has everything on the great level to defend without the puck. Skating is perfect, speed, physical game, positioning, gap control. The problem is his game with the puck under pressure. I didn't see flashes of better details on easier levels. So he should learn it a lot. But if he will - he will be one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

EVN - It's very hard to argue against adding a hyper-mobile 6'7" defender with elite shutdown upside. Sure, there are reasonable complaints to be had about how well he reads the ice, and it's pretty unlikely that his offensive game will take off to the degree that a lot of outlets project it will, but at the end of the day these type of defenders are a pretty rare commodity and he's likely to play many, many games in this league eating a lot of tough minutes at that.

LW/C Berkly Catton, Spokane Chiefs, WHL
STI - Catton's potential offensive impact in the NHL cannot be understated, but the idea he'll play center at the highest levels has been overstated. He is similar in may ways to Cole Perfetti, who put up similar gaudy stats in the OHL as a center and is currently a middle 6 LW for Winnipeg. He'll put up points, but Catton's lack of high-end tools in skating, interior play and compete level eliminate him from my list of desirable targets for the Devils at #10 overall.

GUA - Catton could be very good pick for Devils organisation. If they would have Barkov, Bennett and Tkachuk. But The Devils have enough of playmaking forwards in top-6. Catton isnt looking like potential two way center, may be not the center on NHL level at all, but he still have huge playmaking ability and puck moving skill to create chances for his partners. But lack of physicality and interior play making him dependent on his partners. Good pick in a vacuum, questionable when you think about it more.

EVN - Make no mistake, the player's vision and offensive upside are both legitimately high end. He posted some gaudy totals on a relatively mediocre team thanks to his incredible ability to drive offense. The issue, though, is twofold. His projection, while good, is not can't-miss in the sense that someone like Demidov's is, and the roster really, really doesn't need more of the same. There's ways to inject skill and playmaking into the lineup without compromising forechecking and interior play to this degree.

LD Stian Solberg, Vålerenga, EHL
STI - I'm going to be perfectly honest -- if the Devils shocked the world by taking Solberg at #10, I'd be overjoyed with the pick. His levels of defensive-play, physicality and skating are incredibly high and he's a smart, high-motor player with more offensive chops than people realize. I think he's a similar type player to Dickinson at the same position, and I don't think the gap between them is as wide as people think.

GUA - Great skater, great motor, great speed, great one on one defense, great physical play, very good in escaping transition, very strong with the puck. In the same time he can join the rush and shoot the puck quite nice. The only problem he is Norwegian. Not gor me, but for scouts - definitely. Worthy to be picked by 10OA. Its a fan year when I would be happy with two players from Norway as a choice for Devils pick.

EVN - Do I really think this is the direction we'll go at 10? No, probably not, but I would absolutely entertain it. He's a straight bully on the ice, making life miserable for pretty much anyone he lays eyes on. And he's not just a goon by any stretch of the imagination. The player has great skating, instincts, and a progressing playmaking game, while still offering a very solid defense-first approach. I don't know if the argument for him is strong enough to look beyond some of the forwards we'd be passing on, but I'd still love to add the player to our blue line.

C Michael Hage, Chicago Steel, USHL
STI - Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm a true believer that Michael Hage is worth a pick at #10 overall. He's a true center, and he combines excellent intensity with high-level skating, puck skills and scoring skills. The amount of adversity he overcame to tear up the USHL at an almost 2-points-per-game pace over the last 20-25 games of the year is simply astounding. I think the ceiling is huge here. I'm not saying Hage would be the best pick at #10, but I think he'd be a good one.

GUA - Hage looks like a player who has everything for playing his role on his position but still is staying away from the hype trains. Im the driver of the Nygard's one, so I can't ride the other one, but I will smile and stay calm if our lovely GM will draft Hage with his combo of good size, skills, vision, forechecking and two way game.

EVN - An explosive skater with impressive dual-threat offensive upside, the player overcame a lot of adversity the last couple years to get to where he is today, and the dominance he showed down the stretch is a testament to how strong his character is. I have a lot of time for him in lotto range, but when you factor in some shaky decision making, inconsistent off puck play, and a potential slide to RW given how much he likes to come in off the wing, I just don't know if this is the direction we should be looking.

RW Beckett Sennecke, Oshawa Generals, OHL
STI - Out of all the skill forwards mentioned for the Devils at #10 overall, I just don't see Sennecke in the same tier. While a Catton or Eiserman I feel are not the greatest fits stylistically due to their mostly-perimeter effectiveness, they are both potential 90+ point players if they hit their ceilings, and I just don't see that capacity from Sennecke who has the same problems of good-but-not-great skating, and sometimes lackluster compete/200-foot play.

GUA - Sennecke is a great pick for 14-17 range. Big, with silky hands and great passing. But his lack of positional vision, average skating and speed, issues with defensive game make him not so great as potential choice for 10th pick. I believe he is very interesting NHLer, may be even Star, but I like to draft better players. His play off success is intriguing, but his numbers are not so impressive to ignore playoff success of Nygard and Helenius who played in harder leagues without one of the best players of the leagues on the line.

EVN - I started the season a big fan of the player, even when things were going poorly, so I'm happy to see him finally gaining more recognition. Players with his size, handling, anticipation, and overall scoring upside just seem to find a way to hit, especially taking into account his late season dominance and the progression of his compete level and decision making. That said, is this a dynamic, line driving, star talent in the making, or is he more of a solid complimentary top 6 producer? I lean the latter, so while I could tolerate him at 10, he wouldn't be my choice.

RD Carter Yakemchuk, Calgary Hitmen, WHL
STI - I actually love this kid, he reminds me of a young Dion Phaneuf with his mix of bone-jarring physicality and dynamic offense, but I don't see the Devils going RD with so many other needs.

GUA - Yakemchuk would be fun to draft - big physical player with great hands. Could I name him defenseman... would I? Devils should search for something different.

EVN - What an unbelievably fun talent. People love to call mobile 6'7" defenders unicorns, yet we see multiple of them in every class nowadays. This player, though, offers an exceptionally rare package of elite shooting, handling, breakout passing, and physicality, and is much closer to being a unicorn, even if he has his quirks with his skating, chasing hits, and overly aggressive decision making. As much as I like the player, I think he's only in consideration at 10 if someone else has landed the pick in a trade back scenario.

LW Cole Eiserman, US U18, NTDP
STI - As much as I like the idea of an elite-level pure shooter to shoot and only shoot with the potential of 50+ goal scoring? I think it's more economical to just purchase an actual cannon and mount it by the right face-off circle, and also the cannon would likely put in more effort on the defensive side of the puck.

GUA - As much as I dont like naive idea of an elite-level pure shooter to shoot and only shoot with the potential of 50+ goal scoring, as I dont like Eiserman. Shooting ability is the last thing that make the goals happening on NHL level. With his average skating, little effort and lack of positional vision Eiserman has real potential to be painful show for fans even if his shot will work in NHL.

EVN - Limited deployment players who require preexisting talent to succeed are simply not my cup of tea. He shoots exceptionally well, we all can agree on that, but the engagement issues, lack of off puck play, inconsistent playmaking, and tunnel visioned play on the puck will all likely cause more grief for the roster than his goal scoring potential would help it.

RD Zayne Parekh, Saginaw Spirit, OHL
STI - I do not think the Devils will draft a RD whatsoever in Round One, so there's not a lot to say except that if it happened, I would prefer it not to be the all-offense-at-the-expense-of-any-defense-whatsoever Parekh.

GUA - Okay, Yakemchuk isn't as bad defensively. If we compare him with Parekh who is very flashy, offensively gifted player. But very risky and mostly non existed in D zone.

EVN - Compared to previous hyper-offensive junior defenders, I probably have a bit more confidence in his projection than I had in theirs. Regardless, I still don't care for it. He's exceptionally smart and has an incredible way of viewing the ice, yet he's way too underdeveloped defensively and about as contact-averse as I've ever seen in a defender. There's certainly an avenue where he hits as one of the best producers from the back end, but the probable fallback of becoming a sheltered power play quarterback is of negative interest to me.
@Guadana @StevenToddIves @evnted

IMG_0006.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Great job, @evnted -- you've managed to make @Guadana and I look good more than just aesthetically, which is easy for us!
Look the three of you should be commended for this draft guide. That said we all know NJ is going to package the tenth pick with Nemec to get Anderson from Montreal.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Thank you @evnted (and @Guadana @StevenToddIves, you guys are alright too).

MBN and Stolberg for me. I’m dying for gritty forwards who can forecheck and score or beastly Deez.

Not saying it will happen, but in a scenario where NJ trades back past the philthy pumpkins, I can see them snagging MBN. Losing Cutter and all this “he’s a Phlyer” nonsense they spew gives me the cockle shakes.

Another thing, there’s that agent lead prospect combine happening/happened in FLA and EF reported that there’s a team badmouthing Demidov. Apparently he came in at 6’1” but some team was trying say he was smaller and spreading bad rumors about him so he would drop to them. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Philth to try pair him with Michikuku.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you @evnted (and @Guadana @StevenToddIves, you guys are alright too).

MBN and Stolberg for me. I’m dying for gritty forwards who can forecheck and score or beastly Deez.

Not saying it will happen, but in a scenario where NJ trades back past the philthy pumpkins, I can see them snagging MBN. Losing Cutter and all this “he’s a Phlyer” nonsense they spew gives me the cockle shakes.

Another thing, there’s that agent lead prospect combine happening/happened in FLA and EF reported that there’s a team badmouthing Demidov. Apparently he came in at 6’1” but some team was trying say he was smaller and spreading bad rumors about him so he would drop to them. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the Philth to try pair him with Michikuku.
This was the great idea of @evnted and he did all the work putting it together. I'm pretty sure @Guadana and myself just complained a lot and fought over whose Norwegian was whose.

I'll try to talk the guys about doing something similar to this post draft. Maybe we can do a rundown where we analyze all 32 1st round picks, and maybe we can put something together where all 3 of us give our opinions on every Devils pick made at the 2024 draft.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@evnted
This was the great idea of @evnted and he did all the work putting it together. I'm pretty sure @Guadana and myself just complained a lot and fought over whose Norwegian was whose.

I'll try to talk the guys about doing something similar to this post draft. Maybe we can do a rundown where we analyze all 32 1st round picks, and maybe we can put something together where all 3 of us give our opinions on every Devils pick made at the 2024 draft.
I think we should give our opinion about every our pick but we should study them for some time after the draft. At least for a couple of days.
I was Nygard skeptic from game one, but the more I watched him, the more I liked him.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’ll be surprised if we still have the tenth pick or any first at all. I’m worried Fitz is desperate and is going to do something stupid. I’ll be uptight until the draft and free agency. I also think Holtz and now Marino are probably gone. Trading Nemec would piss me off.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’ll be surprised if we still have the tenth pick or any first at all. I’m worried Fitz is desperate and is going to do something stupid. I’ll be uptight until the draft and free agency. I also think Holtz and now Marino are probably gone. Trading Nemec would piss me off.
I think you’re assuming far too much. I’m sure Fitz is open to trading the pick but it’s unlikely one actually goes through.

I also highly doubt they’re trading Marino.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think you’re assuming far too much. I’m sure Fitz is open to trading the pick but it’s unlikely one actually goes through.

I also highly doubt they’re trading Marino.
True I am speculating. However, all these Pesce rumors are making me nervous. Good defenseman, also injury prone. Didn’t we already sign a very expensive defensemen from Carolina with injury issues. That’s what has me worried.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
True I am speculating. However, all these Pesce rumors are making me nervous. Good defenseman, also injury prone. Didn’t we already sign a very expensive defensemen from Carolina with injury issues. That’s what has me worried.

I mean Dougie didn’t have injury issues. He only had a broken leg prior to come here. It wasn’t like he had back issues or knee issues that have nagged him since he’s gotten here. He’s just had awful luck and has had multiple unrelated injuries.

I could definitely see Fitz moving the pick though for immediate help. I don’t really know where the cap is coming from to fix the bottom 6 though with a Pesce signing and like a top 6 trade.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I mean Dougie didn’t have injury issues. He only had a broken leg prior to come here. It wasn’t like he had back issues or knee issues that have nagged him since he’s gotten here. He’s just had awful luck and has had multiple unrelated injuries.

I could definitely see Fitz moving the pick though for immediate help. I don’t really know where the cap is coming from to fix the bottom 6 though with a Pesce signing and like a top 6 trade.
Not having two first round picks in the next two seasons will hurt the organization. Just take Nygard and walk off the podium.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not having two first round picks in the next two seasons will hurt the organization. Just take Nygard and walk off the podium.

I mean I fully want to keep the pick (don’t know if I’d take MBN) but the chatter has been we want to move the pick and I’ve always thought we’ve wanted to move the pick. We’re going to need key ELC contributors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad