Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
If Chychrun likes to fish and hunt, he'd fit right in here. Helle, Iafallo and Connor are all outdoors enthusiasts

The other issue is that LHD isn't our major position of concern - it's C and RHD. If we have a valuable asset in McG, we probably oughtta see what's out there in those spots before looking at LHD

I'm not 100% against the idea, I'd just need to know what other offers are on the table for Chevy
Fair. I don't see anyone offering a RHD or C, those are pretty much top coveted positions in the NHL.

Like maybe LA has lots their minds and would trade Clarke? Either way, I'd take Chychrun over a 2nd or a late 1st since it's more immediate help.

Maybe Greig from Ottawa then?

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Chychrun straight up for Rutger?
He has to come with an extension signed … What do you think you will be able to sign him for and then trade him?

Now that the draft has been done, what would the Jets want for McGroarty. Is next year's 2nd sufficient?
I think the 2nd overall is a big overpayment … and a 2nd rounder is not enough… either way it’s a no lol

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Now that the draft has been done, what would the Jets want for McGroarty. Is next year's 2nd sufficient?
What would make you think that?

The Jets get a 2nd as compensation if he doesn't sign in two years. Plus, they'd have the benefit of making him sit in clases for two years while doing it lol

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Morrisey - DeMelo
Chychrun - Pionk
Samberg

Not terrible if you're looking to compete, especially if Ehlers stays. Hard to get full value for RM, the Jets don't have a whole lot of leverage (similar to the Gauthier debacle).

Either way, what on the Sens would make sense? and don't say Pinto, he's worth considerably more.
If we can re-sign Chychrun I do that deal all day long, our left side would be super solid for years to come. Then we'd have Demelo locked up on the right side and Salomonson coming up in a year or two.

If Chevy can talk to their camp July 1st to see where they are at on an extension I think this could get done pretty quickly

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He has to come with an extension signed … What do you think you will be able to sign him for and then trade him?

I think the 2nd overall is a big overpayment … and a 2nd rounder is not enough… either way it’s a no lol
A Sharks 2nd round pick next year is probably 35 at the highest. That's better than the 56 they'd get in 2027.
What would make you think that?

The Jets get a 2nd as compensation if he doesn't sign in two years. Plus, they'd have the benefit of making him sit in clases for two years while doing it lol
Again, a Sharks 2nd round pick in 2025 is probably around 35. The compensation for McGroarty would be 56 in 2027, I think. There's value in getting that pick much sooner and in a much better position.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A Sharks 2nd round pick next year is probably 35 at the highest. That's better than the 56 they'd get in 2027.

Again, a Sharks 2nd round pick in 2025 is probably around 35. The compensation for McGroarty would be 56 in 2027, I think. There's value in getting that pick much sooner and in a much better position.
Chevy will do much better than that

Even Habs fans have offered better lol

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Teams will be offering 2025 1sts if it gets that far.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
But that player would likely be 2-3 years away from possibly making an impact. Can Winnipeg wait that long with this core?
I think their preference would be a ready player. I'm just comparing this to a 2025 2nd round pick. If it ends up coming to a 2025 pick, taking a 2nd right now would be non-sensical when they'd be all but assured a 2025 1st at some point along the way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Chevy will do much better than that

Even Habs fans have offered better lol
I hope so for the Jets' sake. I'm not sure the Sharks have anything else expendable that would interest the Jets.
Teams will be offering 2025 1sts if it gets that far.
The Sharks do have Vegas' 1st but since it's unprotected, it makes little sense to offer it up for McGroarty.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
You might want to re-adjust your sights a little bit. Rossi just had a 20g, 40 point rookie season in the NHL playing C, after two P/pg AHL seasons. Do you really think that McGroarty's 16 goal college season is more impressive?

ah, the ol strawman argument. .

It’s great that Rossi has done decently since being drafted. We don’t want another non physical, undersized pure “skill” forward. Zero intangibles. We have that in Perfetti.

Rossi is the opposite of McGroarty. And not the type of player we are looking for more of.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Morrisey - DeMelo
Chychrun - Pionk
Samberg

Not terrible if you're looking to compete, especially if Ehlers stays. Hard to get full value for RM, the Jets don't have a whole lot of leverage (similar to the Gauthier debacle).

Either way, what on the Sens would make sense? and don't say Pinto, he's worth considerably more.
Greig, Kleven, Ostapchuk...

No, not at all.

Reactions: Buffdog and SCP Guy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Friedman said in his podcast earlier tonight that Habs and Minny were close to meet the price.

He also said that the #12 was close to being done but when Guerin saw Buium was still available it was not an option anymore.

So I guess that puts McGroarty value at ~12 OA (at least to Chevy eyes)
MN had the 13th pick, and only traded up to the 12th because Buium was there. Guerin would not have traded up to 12 so he could give the pick to WPG.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I don't know if this has been discussed but how about Calgary/Florida's 2025 1st + Montreal's 2025 2nd + a prospect not named Beck/Mailloux/Rein/Demi/Hage? I feel like that should be ~ mid-teens value which was Chevy's price.

That or the 2025 1st + Beck/Kapanen?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Jet's don't sign him, don't they get a 2nd rounder equivilent to where he was picked in the first round?
They do but it won't be in the same position or year as next year's 2nd for the Sharks which is probably around 35 compared to that compensatory pick which will be at 56 and in 2027.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
ah, the ol strawman argument. .

It’s great that Rossi has done decently since being drafted. We don’t want another non physical, undersized pure “skill” forward. Zero intangibles. We have that in Perfetti.

Rossi is the opposite of McGroarty. And not the type of player we are looking for more of.

I can understand not wanting Rossi for McGroarty, but I do think you should at least know who and what Rossi is before you don't want him

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They do but it won't be in the same position or year as next year's 2nd for the Sharks which is probably around 35 compared to that compensatory pick which will be at 56 and in 2027.

But we took Rutger at #14 and he has since continued to perform at at least that quality - why would we downgrade to ~35?

Reactions: Buffdog

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Not what I am saying.

But any Pegs fan hoping to get a top pairing D or a top6 player for a prospect that mentioned won't sign with then are delusionnal.

See Cutter Gauthier (who was a much better player than Mcgroarty)
Wouldn’t say Gauthier is much better player. They’re closer than you think.

Reactions: Buffdog

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They literally would have got #13 this year if Buium didn't fall

The idea that you could get him for a 2nd is ludicrous and I would just let that thought go now. 30 other teams would beat that offer.
So there was a reason why they didn't actually get 13. Nobody gave anything for him the Jets wanted. Their leverage isn't going to improve or even stay what it was two days ago now that there is more uncertainty around everyone's draft position for next year. I don't think teams are really willing to give what Jets fans are being led to believe is out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad