Larry Brooks: Rangers/Red Wings Trouba Talks Heating up, NYR would retain $2.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Think this is a strategic leak.
Let it start to sink in to Trouba he needs to get his affairs in order, cause 1 way or another, his time here is almost done.
I’m sure he’ll hear speculation, scenarios from talking heads, calls from friends and family. But ultimately he won’t be on the team next year.
I can absolutely see him saying I’m not waiving my NMC, I need time to think/talk over with wife/fam..
Perhaps if this does go south in any way, it pulls another interested party into the fold because now everyone knows he’s publicly available.
No one ever has broken trades or even usually has any credible info of who the FO is targeting since Drury took over, the timing of this leak leads me to believe it’s purposefully done for whatever reasons….
Why are everyone convinced this came from the nyr front office? I'm just curious?

What we know:

Trouba knows
His family knows
His agent knows
The red wings know
The ranger know

There's a lot of people that knew about this so there's a lot of possibilities of where the start of this rumor came from.

Maybe someone in NYR got ahead of themselves bc of the pr piece of dealing with trading the captain and planning for that.

Maybe Detroit leaked it to see if there was actually any Legitimate other interest before they committed in case they thought they could bend NYR over any more in a deal. There has literally been no other team actually connected to NYR for a trouba team publicly at this point.

Maybe nyr leaked it on purpose bc when they met with trouba he indicated he didn't want to leave and nyr/Drury thought they could control the situation and force him to go with public pressure or figured the media machine would help usher him to accept to a place he "should" be okay going to?

There is a lot going on here...

Last edited by a moderator:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Why are everyone convinced this came from the nyr front office? I'm just curious?

What we know:

Trouba knows
His family knows
His agent knows
The red wings know
The ranger know

There's a lot of people that knew about this so there's a lot of possibilities of where the start of this rumor came from.

Maybe someone in NYR got ahead of themselves bc of the pr piece of dealing with trading the captain and planning for that.

Maybe Detroit leaked it to see if there was actually any Legitimate other interest before they committed in case they thought they could bend NYR over any more in a deal. There has literally been no other team actually connected to NYR for a trouba team publicly at this point.

Maybe nyr leaked it on purpose bc when they met with trouba he indicated he didn't want to leave and nyr/Drury thought they could control the situation and force him to go with public pressure or figured the media machine would help usher him to accept to a place he "should" be okay going to?

There is a lot going on here...
Because it started with Larry. Whose always suckling near the power teet of the organization looking for them to throw him any kind of bone whatsoever.
Otherwise when he has just speculation he pulls rumors from these boards.
If it originated somewhere else, I’d have a different view

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think people here are fishing. Trouba probably submitted the list, Detroit was not on it, the deal is done or close to and will be finalized official on Monday. Detroit is also working on Kane simultaneously.

Reactions: surlysailor

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because it started with Larry. Whose always suckling near the power teet of the organization looking for them to throw him any kind of bone whatsoever.
Otherwise when he has just speculation he pulls rumors from these boards.
If it originated somewhere else, I’d have a different view

That doesn't necessarily mean that it came from the NYR FO. Agents leak shit to writers all the time.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That is too good for him. I hope he gets claimed by Winnipeg.
Hah. I’m sure Trouba and over hard on would rather Jake be bought out rather then traded, but it ain’t gonna happen.
I have no doubt he was waived, someone would claim him.
The RD depth in the league isn’t the most prolific.
Combine that with short term and real $$ less then cap hit, someone will take a run at him…
Plus Drury could have another Goodrow style handshake deal in place as a back up in case things go south.
Give Trouba a day to collect himself and get his affairs in order and he’ll likely see Det is the best outcome of a bad situation for him

Reactions: bhamill

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Hah. I’m sure Trouba and over hard on would rather Jake be bought out rather then traded, but it ain’t gonna happen.
I have no doubt he was waived, someone would claim him.
The RD depth in the league isn’t the most prolific.
Combine that with short term and real $$ less then cap hit, someone will take a run at him…
Plus Drury could have another Goodrow style handshake deal in place as a back up in case things go south.
Give Trouba a day to collect himself and get his affairs in order and he’ll likely see Det is the best outcome of a bad situation for him
If Drury circumvents two NMC or NTC clauses in two weeks then the league or PA is getting involved. It's not as simple as people here want it to be...

Reactions: majordomo

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Don't see why Trouba would add Detroit to his no trade list. If the Rangers are willing to retain then teams will take him. He'd risk going somewhere he wouldn't want to go.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If Drury circumvents two NMC or NTC clauses in two weeks then the league or PA is getting involved. It's not as simple as people here want it to be...
But what can they do? It's not prohibited in the CBA. They can pitch a fit & bring it up during the next CBA negotiations, but I fail to see how the Rangers would face any league sanctions....even though I'm sure Bettman would love to stick it to JD.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
But what can they do? It's not prohibited in the CBA. They can pitch a fit & bring it up during the next CBA negotiations, but I fail to see how the Rangers would face any league sanctions....even though I'm sure Bettman would love to stick it to JD.

If there isn't anything in the CBA that prohibits it, I don't know that there is anything that they can do.

When a player is waived, it's not like another team is obligated to pick them up.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Even if he's claimed by a team on his list, it's not circumvention. He's SOL.

Right. I don't know exactly what his contract is but the point is the only way to guarantee yourself total control over where you can move is a full NMC.

I know he doesn't have that. Therefore I don't see how it's anything that can be challenged.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
How? If you want protection from waivers then you negotiate for NMC.
I edited this response because looking into this more I think you are right.

"A player with a no-trade clause (NTC) cannot be traded without their consent. However, if a team wants to trade a player with an NTC, they can place the player on waivers."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hire Sather

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Right. I don't know exactly what his contract is but the point is the only way to guarantee yourself total control over where you can move is a full NMC.

I know he doesn't have that. Therefore I don't see how it's anything that can be challenged.
Of course the NHLPA will bitch & moan, but too f***ing bad. We deal with this LTIR bullshit all the time, it's time for us to exploit the loopholes.

And that's fair to protect a player from wavier as waivers was created in its purest form, but if you are using waivers as a tool to get around a trade protection that is literally the definition of circumventing.

There were reports that the league was not happy with the Goodrow situation and issues a warning of sorts.

Goodrow is a different tier than trouba from the perspective of NHL media recognition. Different public scope. Could be very messy if NYR tries waivers to send him on a handshake to a team on his list. Could be very embarrassing for nyr as well.
Do you have a link? I didn't read or hear anything regarding this.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
And that's fair to protect a player from wavier as waivers was created in its purest form, but if you are using waivers as a tool to get around a trade protection that is literally the definition of circumventing.

There were reports that the league was not happy with the Goodrow situation and issues a warning of sorts.

Goodrow is a different tier than trouba from the perspective of NHL media recognition. Different public scope. Could be very messy if NYR tries waivers to send him on a handshake to a team on his list. Could be very embarrassing for nyr as well.

So were supposed to treat his NTC as a NMC then. That's essentially what we would be doing.

Maybe he should play for 4 million per year on the rest of his contract then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad