Value of: Price to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know he is not worth the salary at this point in his career but he proved last year that he can still be a great goaltender. I am no expert on salary caps but here it goes....

To Mtl: 1 round pick in 2022, middle prospect, Koskinen, Klefbom, Sekera
To Edm: Price, Chariot

The deal would involve Mtl retaining some salary of Price's contract to insure Edm pays around 7 mil of Price's salary for the rest of his term.

If the rumored asking price for Chariot is a 1st then you’re essentially trading garbage for Price with Montreal retaining.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Zero interest. We can talk Chiarot. Retention on an expiring contract he can fetch a 1st. Zero interest in Price contract. Wouldn’t swap Koskinen’s expiring deal for the pleasure of Price cap hit.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price makes Team Canada and plays well chance he has value around league. After last 2 playoffs no doubt he is money goalie. He took bad team to Finals last year. On good team....look out!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think a deal for MAF is just much more simple as he's an expiring contract that Chicago would likely retain money on since it would just be for like 25 or so games left on the contract and Chicago likely takes whatever OK pick they can get since there's not a lot of teams looking for a goalie to begin with.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
An elite goalie who's like a 3rd d-man on moving the puck is the opposite of what Edmonton needs? Might want to look up the definition of opposite, because I think your definition is the opposite of what it really means. :laugh:

I think you might need to look up the definition of elite.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price is the opposite of what Edmonton needs, that contract would be hell to fit in and still be able to fill the other gaps

He is NOT the opposite of what Oiler needs.

Oiler want to win. He is motivated as hell to win, and he is absolutely amazing in playoffs/high stake situations. If Edmonton land Price - in my opinion it becomes the 2nd best goalie trade in NHL history after Roy to Colorado in that it would definitely lead to at least 1 cup, maybe more.

There's some risk of course too - especially due to injury/off-ice reasons (hasn't played yet this year) - but overall, I wouldn't say it's the opposite of what Edmonton needs. It's exactly what Edmonton needs. You probably go win a cup with McDrai - but when they fizzle out and come out flat (ie vs Jets) - you have an extra x-factor on your roster like Price who can save their ass and win for them, until they get going again.

No idea about trade value and what's fair or not though. I just know that if Oilers landed Price - it would do wonders for them. Starting with the cup in 2022.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
Not even sure why this is still open?

Edmonton cannot afford Price nor do they want him at that price ...even retained at his age and current state ... Not what Edmonton needs.

Then people are like ... But he's a beast in the playoffs ... But for every good run he's had .. he's had the equal amount of trash runs ... What he did last year means nothing for this season .. and he's stats speak for themselves on this topic.

Reactions: Ragdoll

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He is still worth his actually salary, it is him cap hit that is the problem at this point. He was already paid his $11M bonus this season and has $2M in actually salary left. And the remaining years on the contract see him making $6.75M, $6.5M and 2x $5.5M.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know he is not worth the salary at this point in his career but he proved last year that he can still be a great goaltender. I am no expert on salary caps but here it goes....

To Mtl: 1 round pick in 2022, middle prospect, Koskinen, Klefbom, Sekera
To Edm: Price, Chariot

The deal would involve Mtl retaining some salary of Price's contract to insure Edm pays around 7 mil of Price's salary for the rest of his term.

The Sekera that plays in Dallas ? Edmonton bought Sekera out years ago . You know Klefbom may never play hockey again ? His shoulder is shot . His arm is a dead stick to the point he hasn't been able to play with his kids . It has been better since surgery but with 2 years out of the game he a question mark at best . I love Price but he is a often injured goalie who will become more fragile as he ages . To get Edmonton to take Price it would need a double retention . Montreal would need to retain max 50% and no way in hell they do it . Team 2 would need to retain another 25% .

10 M 50% retained = 5 million
5 M 25% retained =3.75 million x 5 year contract = lots of risk and most of the money is signing bonus = buyout proof .

I also know Prices cap hit is 10.5 . I use 10 for easy math and t is only a matter 187,500 dollars to Edmonton and additional 62,500 to team 2

Price just isn't a tradable asset . Even with Montreal retain 33.3% = 3.5 million to get him down that 7 million a year .

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Seriously, it takes less than 3 minutes to look at hockeydb and his two most recent runs.

I did check and this were results. I mentioned only one since we were discussing his pefromance in last 3 years and this was only playoff run during that time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How can some people still not understand this...

IF Price had any trade value, Seattle would have picked him up for free then flipped him to another place... They chose Cale freaking Fleury instead...

I mean... what do the "this is so bad for the Habs" people do not understand here? lol

If you want to get some value for Price, have to retain at least 3-4 M$ per year and even then, he won't return a 1st +

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If the rumored asking price for Chariot is a 1st then you’re essentially trading garbage for Price with Montreal retaining.

I don't even want Price . My offer is the best I would do but my choice is to look else where . Also as I said Montreal isn't retaining 50% so it doesn't matter at all

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I did check and this were results. I mentioned only one since we were discussing his pefromance in last 3 years and this was only playoff run during that time.

You didn’t bother to look for real, did you? Because Montreal went through the play-in and first round of the playoff two years ago. You look bad - BAD now

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
To Edmonton: Price 50% retained + Arthuri Lehkonen

To Montreal: Broberg + 1st round pick + Koskinen

Kyungnam

Feb 13, 2010
Edmonton
YES! In before the lock!

edit: it was wrong to just write what I did. Let’s assume for arguments sake that prices and his contract at 50% is worth a first and koskinen (I don’t believe it is), in what world is lehkonen worth Broberg?

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
You didn’t bother to look for real, did you? Because Montreal went through the play-in and first round of the playoff two years ago. You look bad - BAD now

We were talking about Darcy Kuemper here . You seem to be confused.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad