Value of: Price to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I like this one...

Montreal out: Evans, Price, Allen
Montreal in: Lavoie, Bolduc, Turris, Ryan, Varlamov, Koskinen

Edmonton out: Lavoie, Turris, Ryan, Barrie, Koskinen
Edmonton in: Evans, Price

New York out: Bolduc, Varlamov
New York in: Barrie, Allen

Habs get out from Price's contract, and pick up a couple of prospects who are from the area

Oilers add Price and a versatile 3rd liner in Evans

Islanders would do this in a Flash!

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Montreal gets hosed here. No way they do this. Awful.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I know he is not worth the salary at this point in his career but he proved last year that he can still be a great goaltender. I am no expert on salary caps but here it goes....

To Mtl: 1 round pick in 2022, middle prospect, Koskinen, Klefbom, Sekera
To Edm: Price, Chariot

The deal would involve Mtl retaining some salary of Price's contract to insure Edm pays around 7 mil of Price's salary for the rest of his term.
This is so bad for the Habs.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I like this one...

Montreal out: Evans, Price, Allen
Montreal in: Lavoie, Bolduc, Turris, Ryan, Varlamov, Koskinen

Edmonton out: Lavoie, Turris, Ryan, Barrie, Koskinen
Edmonton in: Evans, Price

New York out: Bolduc, Varlamov
New York in: Barrie, Allen

Habs get out from Price's contract, and pick up a couple of prospects who are from the area

Oilers add Price and a versatile 3rd liner in Evans

Islanders would do this in a Flash!

Oilers can just trade for Varlamov directly.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Unless we can get Price at $5m without giving up the farm, then it’s a no-go for me. He played very well in the playoffs last year… would never take that’s way from the guy but outside of that short (but very important) stretch, he hasn’t shown anywhere close to being a $10m goalie during the past few seasons. Price has 4+ seasons remaining on that contract.

Chariot’s worth a second.

Yes, I get the Canadiens would likely just keep Price @$5m and there is no team that will retain that kind of money for 4+ years. That’s why Price is unmovable right now.

except the fact that he's been the best goalie in the playoffs every single year he's been in it. So the past 2 years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Price is the opposite of what Edmonton needs, that contract would be hell to fit in and still be able to fill the other gaps
An elite goalie who's like a 3rd d-man on moving the puck is the opposite of what Edmonton needs? Might want to look up the definition of opposite, because I think your definition is the opposite of what it really means. :laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I wouldn't take Price at 50%

Literally any deal involving Price at all I'd turn down. That contract is just too brutal.
Especially if the assets are being sent the Habs way then its a slam dunk no.
You just paid a huge price for a worse goalie with a worse contract (relative to Price @ 50%)...

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
An elite goalie who's like a 3rd d-man on moving the puck is the opposite of what Edmonton needs? Might want to look up the definition of opposite, because I think your definition is the opposite of what it really means. :laugh:
Addition by subtraction, who’s being moved out for that contract?

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
You just paid a huge price for a worse goalie with a worse contract (relative to Price @ 50%)...

Kuemper cap hit for Colorado i 3.5m for 1 year. How is that worse exactly?
He also had better stats than Price in last 3 years.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No team in the league is taking Price at his full salary. Seattle wouldn't even take him for free.
Lol why didn't Seattle take him ??? Obviously there is no need for any elite goalie on a expansion team with no chance of making the playoffs. Now if Colorado, Vegas, Edmonton etc had a chance to take him for free and coukd make the $$ work , they would be ALL over it. I personally think price is overrated but he would give any of those teams a better chance at winning a cup

Reactions: Habsrule

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Price is not going anywhere. Not just because of his contract, but primarily because of off ice reasons. He'll be a HAB until he decides to stop playing hockey or MTL decides to buy him out.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Lol why didn't Seattle take him ??? Obviously there is no need for any elite goalie on a expansion team with no chance of making the playoffs. Now if Colorado, Vegas, Edmonton etc had a chance to take him for free and coukd make the $$ work , they would be ALL over it. I personally think price is overrated but he would give any of those teams a better chance at winning a cup

This makes zero sense. Seattle didn't take a goalie who could have helped them make the playoffs because they didn't think they were going to make the playoffs? Before they even played a game? lol, wut.

And there's zero chance the Oilers, probably Colorado and Vegas too, would take Price at 10.5M for another 4 years after this one. Zero. Montreal would need to retain half the salary to get the conversation started.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This makes zero sense. Seattle didn't take a goalie who could have helped them make the playoffs because they didn't think they were going to make the playoffs? Before they even played a game? lol, wut.

And there's zero chance the Oilers, probably Colorado and Vegas too, would take Price at 10.5M for another 4 years after this one. Zero. Montreal would need to retain half the salary to get the conversation started.
Perfect sense. The kraken are not the Vegas knights. With the roster assembled they were not making the playoffs. Not evem close, and guess what ? Quarter way through and its becoming reality.
Now if they assembled a very competent team from day 1 the need for a big time goalie would be there. Cough cough Vegas...
A cup contending team that needs an elite goalie and that could.make the money work would be all over it
Edmonton would all over that if they freed up 10 mil.....

Reactions: malcb33

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Perfect sense. The kraken are not the Vegas knights. With the roster assembled they were not making the playoffs. Not evem close, and guess what ? Quarter way through and its becoming reality.
Now if they assembled a very competent team from day 1 the need for a big time goalie would be there. Cough cough Vegas...
A cup contending team that needs an elite goalie and that could.make the money work would be all over it
Edmonton would all over that if they freed up 10 mil.....

Vegas wasn't Vegas until they were winning games left and right out of the gate. No one expected them to be where they're at. And no, you're delusional if you think Edmonton would be interested in spending 10.5M in cap on Price for 5 years. You're totally delusional when you see Seattle pass his contract up for free and still think high-level teams would take on his full contract. This shit is absurd.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I know he is not worth the salary at this point in his career but he proved last year that he can still be a great goaltender. I am no expert on salary caps but here it goes....

To Mtl: 1 round pick in 2022, middle prospect, Koskinen, Klefbom, Sekera
To Edm: Price, Chariot

The deal would involve Mtl retaining some salary of Price's contract to insure Edm pays around 7 mil of Price's salary for the rest of his term.
so a late first and a while bunch of nothing? the answer is no. IF habs wanted to deal him to a contender that was close to a cup, they'd just eat some salary and do better than this

Reactions: Habsrule

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
this whole 'well the kraken didn't draft him' is an idiotic take. the kraken aren't and won't be cup contenders. they didn't want to go the vegas / fleury route. a motivated Price is money in the playoffs. There's a reason he's also still in line to play for team canada. dude has no heartbeat and is fearless under pressure. Is the contract heavy? of course. but make no mistake about it, on a contender he's a legit closing piece. he brought the habs to the cup finals. habs would just retain and get a few pieces back that are better than this offer if they decided to move him

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
this whole 'well the kraken didn't draft him' is an idiotic take. the kraken aren't and won't be cup contenders. they didn't want to go the vegas / fleury route. a motivated Price is money in the playoffs. There's a reason he's also still in line to play for team canada. dude has no heartbeat and is fearless under pressure. Is the contract heavy? of course. but make no mistake about it, on a contender he's a legit closing piece. he brought the habs to the cup finals. habs would just retain and get a few pieces back that are better than this offer if they decided to move him

No one is paying 10.5M for a "closing piece." That's the argument against Price from the standpoint of a team like Edmonton vs Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad