GDT: Preseason games 2024-25

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
MAN, our new uniforms look f***in ACE. Now we easily have one of the best jerseys in the league (I'm biased), especially with the black away scheme. Please never change that design ever again.
Pretty sure the black jerseys are the home jerseys.

For the 90s Chevron era, I prefer the look of the whites but this current version is a win for the black ones with the helmets being a huge part of it.

The white version should have silver numbers instead of the black numbers.

That said, I still do not like how fat that bottom stripe is.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Hold on. I had read several people who said he had no hockey sense at all! Are you telling me that watching a 5 minute video on YouTube from an amateur hockey scout and then forming my opinion based on what they say might not be a true representation of a players ability? Since when?
Once a narrative gets formed around a prospect everybody just accepts it as truth. But sometimes if you watch said prospect yourself, you'll find the narrative isn't always true.

Byfield's issue from the start was his reluctancy to drive the play and be the guy. Somewhere last season he decided to not be that guy anymore. Hoping he keeps it up for the next several years.
This is speculation on my part, but my impression of QB is that he's a guy who needs time to adjust. That's why he wasn't productive in tournaments.

He's very responsible and doesn't want to be the guy who makes the bad turnover. That's part of the reason I think he needs time to feel out his surroundings.

Good things are coming, I just wonder if his conservative style will limit his point totals.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Once a narrative gets formed around a prospect everybody just accepts it as truth. But sometimes if you watch said prospect yourself, you'll find the narrative isn't always true.

This is speculation on my part, but my impression of QB is that he's a guy who needs time to adjust. That's why he wasn't productive in tournaments.

He's very responsible and doesn't want to be the guy who makes the bad turnover. That's part of the reason I think he needs time to feel out his surroundings.

Good things are coming, I just wonder if his conservative style will limit his point totals.
I agree. I also feel like confidence is a big thing with him.

It's why, in my opinion, his showing at the WJC may not have been what everyone hoped for. Those tournaments are short, and you need to get caught up right away. I still think he did well, and he was also having to carry a coach's favorite who was underwhelming, himself.

It's also why the bottom-six deployment wasn't a good idea, in my opinion. Being a skilled player not being trusted to be a skilled player won't give you the confidence as a skilled player. You saw his assertiveness grow exponentially within two games of playing with Kempe and Kopitar.

Playing more minutes would have given him more reps to hone his craft, acclimate, and build confidence.

In the end, it seems to be working out as he's playing much better. I'm just a believer of empowering players to make mistakes and rein things in if they get overwhelmed, as opposed to limiting their responsibilities and thus putting an artificial ceiling - if only temporary.

Reactions: johnjm22

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Pretty sure the black jerseys are the home jerseys.

For the 90s Chevron era, I prefer the look of the whites but this current version is a win for the black ones with the helmets being a huge part of it.

The white version should have silver numbers instead of the black numbers.

That said, I still do not like how fat that bottom stripe is.
Oh even better that the black's are for home. Love the matte black helmets too. Instead of away white's I'd rather see silver replace the white scheme but either way this design is miles better than the boring home plate logo.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Some answers to some questions

The games in Quebec aren't on Bally. Tonight's game was filmed and broadcast by TVA a local channel in Quebec.

We streamed the video from TVA with the audio from ESPNLA (Nick and Daryl calling the game)

KCAL+ ALSO streamed the game

There was a pregame ceremony for Patrice Bergeron who retired in 2023 and is from a suburb of Quebec City.

The ceremony was in French and the decision was made not to air it with Nick and Daryl talking over it about the Kings and the preseason.

That's why you saw those cartoons because that's what KCAL+ was airing. That's why you saw adds for KCAL and CBS during the breaks.

While I wish we had communicated those facts before the broadcast... the bear commercials were not a mistake or a sign of things going wrong they were in fact evidence of multiple things going totally right.

Any other questions or insults I'm happy to answer or ignore...
I understand your desire & need to feel like you have to set the record straight. But come on dude -- this is mocking. Quite frankly, it's deserved mocking. If you can't see and understand that, then it's on you. If the King's wouldn't do some of what they do from a fan perspective (availability, etc) in the modern age, then they completely deserve this mocking. You taking it serious and setting the record straight comes off bad for you like you're some company shrill (which i don't believe you are). Don't take the mocking so serious -- especially when it is well earned.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree. I also feel like confidence is a big thing with him.

It's why, in my opinion, his showing at the WJC may not have been what everyone hoped for. Those tournaments are short, and you need to get caught up right away. I still think he did well, and he was also having to carry a coach's favorite who was underwhelming, himself.

It's also why the bottom-six deployment wasn't a good idea, in my opinion. Being a skilled player not being trusted to be a skilled player won't give you the confidence as a skilled player. You saw his assertiveness grow exponentially within two games of playing with Kempe and Kopitar.

Playing more minutes would have given him more reps to hone his craft, acclimate, and build confidence.

In the end, it seems to be working out as he's playing much better. I'm just a believer of empowering players to make mistakes and rein things in if they get overwhelmed, as opposed to limiting their responsibilities and thus putting an artificial ceiling - if only temporary.
The empowerment was always key with QB. Right back when he was struggling I said, based on his career, generation and outward character traits that he needed to feel trusted. That once that was the case, he’d blossom. That has fortunately been the case. I never felt TMac could adapt to the needs of the current generation of players, in that they need a different approach. Each player is unique, which needs catering for, but each generation has more prevalent traits to work with. Feeling trusted/wanted is a big one. Hillier appears much more flexible in his approach.

My opinion was partially informed by having 2 kids in that age bracket. LOL.

QB suddenly no longer looks like a kid and by the end of the season this may well be ‘his team’,

Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I understand your desire & need to feel like you have to set the record straight. But come on dude -- this is mocking. Quite frankly, it's deserved mocking. If you can't see and understand that, then it's on you. If the King's wouldn't do some of what they do from a fan perspective (availability, etc) in the modern age, then they completely deserve this mocking. You taking it serious and setting the record straight comes off bad for you like you're some company shrill (which i don't believe you are). Don't take the mocking so serious -- especially when it is well earned.
That’s an unfair post.

Jesse engages with us positively and takes part in some good discussion on here. Him being an employee of course gives him a certain perspective, but it doesn’t make him a shrill, or seem like one. Of course he has set the record straight as most of us would in a similar position. I certainly would because some people on here would take the ‘mocking’ seriously…. in 2 years it would be considered as absolute fact, based on the track record on here.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Some answers to some questions

The games in Quebec aren't on Bally. Tonight's game was filmed and broadcast by TVA a local channel in Quebec.

We streamed the video from TVA with the audio from ESPNLA (Nick and Daryl calling the game)

KCAL+ ALSO streamed the game

There was a pregame ceremony for Patrice Bergeron who retired in 2023 and is from a suburb of Quebec City.

The ceremony was in French and the decision was made not to air it with Nick and Daryl talking over it about the Kings and the preseason.

That's why you saw those cartoons because that's what KCAL+ was airing. That's why you saw adds for KCAL and CBS during the breaks.

While I wish we had communicated those facts before the broadcast... the bear commercials were not a mistake or a sign of things going wrong they were in fact evidence of multiple things going totally right.

Any other questions or insults I'm happy to answer or ignore...
I appreciate the answers. I have a question , what is the best food that you have had in Quebec?
Bonus points if it is a food that you previously hadn't tried.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That’s an unfair post.

Jesse engages with us positively and takes part in some good discussion on here. Him being an employee of course gives him a certain perspective, but it doesn’t make him a shrill, or seem like one. Of course he has set the record straight as most of us would in a similar position. I certainly would because some people on here would take the ‘mocking’ seriously…. in 2 years it would be considered as absolute fact, based on the track record on here.

2 weeks bud, not years.....

I appreciate the answers. I have a question , what is the best food that you have had in Quebec?
Bonus points if it is a food that you previously hadn't tried.

Any other answer than Poutine, and he will never be invited back.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
That’s an unfair post.

I disagree completely with your opinion. I said he's not a shill. As such, he shouldn't have any mandated response to justify and explain the situation.
Anyway, imo he should just leave it alone if he's not -- as i said, there is deserved criticism/mocking for what they've done media/availability wise. If you can't help yourself to respond, then at least start things off saying it's understandable based on prior stuff and how it looks, but here is the real story for this specific situation for those that care about those details.
I personally just think the post it comes off a little bit of a certain way -- a way that i know it's not. But that's my opinion.
The fact that Jesse provides us such valuable information and adds to the commentary here, does not change this specific item and the way it comes off to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad